Talk

Advanced search

Jago- like or dislike

(48 Posts)
loobylu3 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:32:05

I saw this name on another forum.

Apparently a Cornish form of James/ Jacob which I haven't come across before.

What do people think- too unconventional??

edam Wed 13-Aug-08 14:33:21

Sorry, unless you are Cornish or live in Cornwall, or pref. both, I think it sounds rather, um, trying to hard to be different.

zippitippitoes Wed 13-Aug-08 14:35:12

sounds fine to me but might be mistaken for I ago

edam Wed 13-Aug-08 14:36:20

But then again, it's your baby, call him what you like!

Tortington Wed 13-Aug-08 14:37:47

this here is jago

loobylu3 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:45:48

Custardo- why do you frequently seem to make negative, rude comments to people? It's perfectly reasonable to offer an honest opinion with the objective being to help but please try to be polite!

I wonder what names you do like as you seem to be negative about about most of them!

minouminou Wed 13-Aug-08 14:52:12

don't mind it, but second the idea that it may get confused with iago, which is the welsh version of james
also, iago is touted as being one of the most evil characters ever (in othello), but that's just my ponce-tastic take on it
if you like it, go for it

Tortington Wed 13-Aug-08 15:14:19

jesus lady - that really wasn't me being nasty -

don't ask - i goodled the name - thats what came up

if you like it use it and don't bloody ask!

CuckooClockWorkOrange Wed 13-Aug-08 15:19:05

Rather than being 'un' conventional, I think it's bang on trend really. I would worry that there are little clusters of Jagos all over south west london. I know of only two though, saying that.

minouminou Wed 13-Aug-08 15:20:49

trying to think if we've got any here, and i can't remember hearing of any
we've got a django and an inigo....any good to you?

AintMisbehavin Wed 13-Aug-08 15:22:34

I like it.

CuckooClockWorkOrange Wed 13-Aug-08 15:28:31

ps, I do like it though.

CuckooClockWorkOrange Wed 13-Aug-08 15:32:56

ps2, having spent too much time on American boards as well, I think that it's quite an American characteristic to instantly associate every name (outside the top 100) to something; either a Disney character, doll, toy, pop star, computer game, soap star - and to then consider it 'unusable'..... I don't get it.

loobylu3 Wed 13-Aug-08 15:34:35

Custardo,

I am not complaining about your opinion, simply the fact that you find it necessary to use use rude language constantly!!

I am referring also to comments on previous threads (not this one alone) where you also been unpleasant.

I'm afraid your response above has just proven my point; you have managed to swear twice in just a few words!!

Podrick Wed 13-Aug-08 15:36:21

For some reason it brings to my mind an insane horse
grin

MerryMarigold Wed 13-Aug-08 15:36:31

I think it's really poncey personally. Jacob and James are nice though. You don't HAVE to be 'different'.

MatNanPlus Wed 13-Aug-08 15:38:14

Have looked after a Jago a very chilled out chappie.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 13-Aug-08 15:40:10

Went to school with lovely Jago..
very handsome
sophisticated.

grin

OK I fancied him

Tortington Wed 13-Aug-08 15:42:02

quote me the rude language - i think my initial post...to which you refered was three words....

who are you all of a sudden the custy monitor?

i dont like the name get over it.

Tortington Wed 13-Aug-08 15:42:59

blonde essex woman comes to mind screaming "JAGOOOOO" meaning of course Diego

Weegiemum Wed 13-Aug-08 15:51:26

Dont like. Unless you have a real connection. Otherwise poncey/trying too hard.

CuckooClockWorkOrange Wed 13-Aug-08 16:06:10

What about Jago as a nn for either Jacob or James? That is a bit safer, bit more classic. If o names turn out to be Darren/Gary iykwim.

James Gordon is a bit Thomas the Tank Engine, but it could be a really un poncey way of getting to the nn Jago.

JAS.

uptomyeyes Wed 13-Aug-08 16:19:42

I love Jago, it is DS3's middle name. Dh wouldn't agree to it as first name for either DS2 or 3 but I snuck it in as a middle name for DS3. love it love it love it...and we aren't cornish.

minouminou Wed 13-Aug-08 20:34:57

well, this is an omen...it must be
just coming out of the co-op in summertown, 3 boys, called to a chum nearby...."Jago!"
honest injuns!
that's after me saying i'd not heard it round here
lad musta been 17-18
go for it

thisisyesterday Wed 13-Aug-08 20:38:31

I love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now