Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of 'Vashti' for a girl?

(49 Posts)
indecisivegirl Tue 12-Aug-08 20:08:35

We have a friend called Vashti and we think it is a beautiful sounding name. Its from the book of Esther in the old testament.

What do you think? Not sure if friends/family would think it was to weird for us!

Thanks

broccolispears Tue 12-Aug-08 20:09:54

I knew a Vashti. I think it's a very pretty name.

Stars22 Tue 12-Aug-08 21:45:06

How is it pronounced>?

CuckooClockWorkOrange Tue 12-Aug-08 21:46:05

I also knew a Vashti once. Friend of my weird flatmate. It's too unusual for me. Too "wtf?" but it's a pretty sound.

Califrau Tue 12-Aug-08 21:46:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

girlsallaround Tue 12-Aug-08 21:47:21

in my opinion it sounds awful. in the book of Esther Vashti is the wicked wife that nobody likes

ilovemydog Tue 12-Aug-08 21:47:37

Knew a Vashti - she was Welsh.

Is it a traditionally Welsh name?

WallOfSilence Tue 12-Aug-08 21:48:21

Sounds like a vaginal product... sorry

girliefriend Tue 12-Aug-08 21:51:31

sounds like something shitty to me! sorry not my cup of tea

Lionstar Tue 12-Aug-08 21:52:39

I also knew a Welsh Vashti, maybe the same one ilovemydog, are we talking North Wales here?

As we knew her growing up it just seemed a normal name to us. Did hear something funny about it though recently, someone else also named their daughter Vashti after hearing the 'original' Vashti's name, years later they ended up living on the same street in a small Welsh village, so on that sample size it was quite common there!

paolosgirl Tue 12-Aug-08 22:01:19

Vashti floor

Vashti vindows

Vashti car

No - sorry, don't like it

BuwchBywiog Tue 12-Aug-08 22:01:48

I work with North Wales Vashti, she's lovely, can I tell her she's being talked about on here?!

And no its not a traditional welsh name as there isn't a "v" in the welsh alphabet.

LynetteScavo Tue 12-Aug-08 22:04:09

I like it. Have never heard it before. Would presume it was Asian, though.

suedonim Tue 12-Aug-08 22:04:46

I lovelovelove the name Vashti. Sadly, I was out-voted 5-1 when expecting dd2. It's Persian, isn't it?

Sidge Tue 12-Aug-08 22:06:05

Sounds Indian to me, so I would be surprised to hear it used on a non-Indian baby.

(I appreciate it's probably not an Indian name at all but that's the connotation!)

Lionstar Tue 12-Aug-08 22:07:38

BuwchBywiog that's so exciting, give her a wave from me - I knew her growing up as smalls kids in Deiniolen (we lived up on the hill too)

BuwchBywiog Tue 12-Aug-08 22:08:56

I will do Lionstar will she know who I'm talking about?!

Lionstar Tue 12-Aug-08 22:12:17

Probably not, but trying not to give away too many details here. She might remember Bonnie's daughter (not the eldest)?

Milkycheeks Tue 12-Aug-08 22:16:14

Not sure if it's spelt the same but Vashti means 'wave' in Cornish, (as in the sea, not the hand gesture), apparently . my parents considered it as a name for me, and although i quite like it, I'm glad they choose something else in the end. Agree that it sounds more Asian than anything.

BuwchBywiog Tue 12-Aug-08 22:18:25

I will tell her that Lionstar no probs, have just emailed her, I'll send another to say that in case I forget!

cheesesarnie Tue 12-Aug-08 22:19:24

i knew a vashti i think its indian meaning princess or beutiful or something-thats what she aid anyway!wink

cheesesarnie Tue 12-Aug-08 22:20:46

aha almost right!

'The meaning of the name Vashti is "beautiful woman".

Hitchcock' Bible Names Dictionary of the 19th century, attempting to interpret the name as Hebrew, suggested the meanings "that drinks" or "thread". Critics of the historicity of the book of Esther proposed that the name may have originated from a conjectured Elamite goddess whom they called "Mashti", a theoretical reconstructed name which remains unattested in any source.

The name is indeed a genuine Persian name, literarly meaning "a looker" and is understood to mean "beautiful" or "good" in Persian, related to the word "vashishta" found in the Avesta. Hoschander proposed that it originated as a shortening of vashtateira which he also proposed as the origin of the name "Stateira".

Vashti is one of a very few proper names in the Tanakh that begins with the letter waw, and by far the most prominently mentioned of them. Hebrew names that begin with waw are rare because of the etymological tendency for word-initial waw to become yodh (e.g. Hebrew &#1497;&#1497;&#1503; yáyin "wine" < Proto-Semitic *wayn).'

elmoandella Tue 12-Aug-08 22:25:08

this sounds like a nick name for a vagina.-

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now