Talk

Advanced search

Djuna?

(27 Posts)
theory Tue 12-Aug-08 12:21:46

I like the name Djuna (for a girl, after writer Djuna Barnes, sounds like 'joona'), but am wondering about using it because we have a difficult surname (no one knows how to pronounce, etc) Do you think people will guess how to say it, or have heard it before? It's not unheard of as a name in the US (Barnes was American), but I haven't heard it here before...

SoupDragon Tue 12-Aug-08 12:24:46

Um.. I don't think I would use it. There was a thread recently about Django I think which would have the same pronunciation issues.

Dragonbutter Tue 12-Aug-08 12:25:11

i like it, and i think the pronunciation is fairly obvious. what does it mean?

Dragonbutter Tue 12-Aug-08 12:27:27

dont you just love mumsnet.
two comments in...are your feelings any clearer???smile

SoupDragon Tue 12-Aug-08 12:31:25

LOl! To cap the true diversity of the 2 comments, my initial reading of the name was DeJoona too... Even though I know Django is Jango...

harpomarx Tue 12-Aug-08 12:35:44

I think it's a lovely name but people probably wouldn't know how to pronounce it (and conversely wouldn't know how to spell it when they heard it).

How about spelling it Juna? Actually I know a boy called that, maybe that's the male version.

theory Tue 12-Aug-08 13:22:22

I was sort of hoping people would think of 'Django' and go from there...It's a real question for us because spelling out our surname all of the time can be a pain, and I'm just wondering if it's too much to have to do that for both

Dragonbutter Tue 12-Aug-08 13:38:51

If you call her Jane people will still ask for her to spell it. jayne? jane? alison? alyson?
even the simplest names have to be spelled out for people when you meet them for the first time.
but djuna is memorable imo.

what is it's origin? what does it mean?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hanaflower Tue 12-Aug-08 13:49:22

goingslowlymad Tue 12-Aug-08 13:51:53

I like it and I am not usually one for weirdy names. I prefer Juna though, minus the D.

goingslowlymad Tue 12-Aug-08 13:52:02

I like it and I am not usually one for weirdy names. I prefer Juna though, minus the D.

belgo Tue 12-Aug-08 13:53:17

I think you would make her life easier by calling her June or Juno.

theory Tue 12-Aug-08 13:56:16

ah yes, chicken bjuna...hadn't thought of that
and themildmannerjanitor, good to you're remaining true to form
Djuna Barnes had eccentric parents (to say the least), and I rather suspect they invented it, but I'm not sure

SoupDragon Tue 12-Aug-08 13:57:35

It looks a far prettier name without the D.

belgo Tue 12-Aug-08 14:05:05

are you speaking from personal experience TMMJ?

unclefluffy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:29:34

I knew a girl called Djuna at school. Her surname sounded a bit like 'Turbot'. I can therefore very much relate to the food item comment! grin

Reginaphilangy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:34:39

I actually think its obvious how its pronounced. Not sure how else it could be pronounced tbh, unless maybe Doona, but i wouldn't think that many would immediately think that.

Where it would be a problem is when people write the name having only heard the pronunciation. For that reason Juna would be better.

Not that keen on the name myself but thats rather irrelevant if you like it.

emskaboo Tue 12-Aug-08 14:40:36

I like the name, and the writer that inspired it. You would have to spell it all the time and tell people how to pronounce it but growing up in the 70s you'd be amazed at the spellings I got for my, now, very common name. I don't think that's a reason not to go for it.

belgo Tue 12-Aug-08 14:40:44

If you know how it's pronounced, then it's obvious. But I didn't know how to pronounce either Django or Djuna before reading this thread, because I have never heard those names spoken.

Reginaphilangy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:52:22

I hadn't ever heard it before either Belgo, but how else can it be said? Apart from maybe Doona? But i think Juna is more obvious than that.

How did you say it in your head?

belgo Tue 12-Aug-08 14:55:17

d-juna grin

because of the way Dvořák is pronounced.

Reginaphilangy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:56:33

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now