Talk

Advanced search

The Eddie Stobart Method (for girls)

(188 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 21:23:33

I have struck upon a rich seam indeed.

Struggling to find the perfect name for your daughter?

Torn between traditional or unusual?

Tearing your hair out on the mn baby name threads?

Use the Eddie Sobart Method.

Get in car.

Drive on motorway.

Come alongside Eddie Stobart lorry.

Read name of lorry on front (R) hand corner (just in front of drivers door, near the bumper).

There you go.

You cannot back out when you have seen your name. The method is all about chance and living on the edge.

For those of you who do not drive, or are not living in the UK, or do not like motorways, or trucks, I have come up with the variant MN Eddie Stobart Method.

Helpful mners will post on this here thread the name they have just spotted on their most recent journey.

To get the ball rolling I give you

Shona

BirdyArms Sat 09-Aug-08 21:31:58

Lol, I wish that I was pregnant so that I could do it. When people say 'oh, is that a family name' , 'no, we got it from an eddie Stobart truck!'

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 09-Aug-08 21:32:08

Oh fantastic! Will keep an eye out.
(Having ds myself so will offer up my name to someone else).

PortBlacksandResident Sat 09-Aug-08 21:39:04

DSis had the horror of spotting her youngest DDs name (first and middle) on one recently.

LOL!

TaLcH Sat 09-Aug-08 21:39:45

gringrin

norkmaiden Sat 09-Aug-08 21:39:46

shock at names on ES lorries - will keep eyes peeled for one!!

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 21:42:11

I always check the name. Up to this point I have not felt the need to note them down, but from hence forth I will keep my ESM notebook in my glove compartment.

Tigerschick Sat 09-Aug-08 21:43:23

You do know that there are some sad individuals people who keep a note of every Eddie Stobart lorry they see ... they have a list of girls' names in their glove box or soemthing ...

KristinaM Sat 09-Aug-08 21:43:26

LOL grin

Tigerschick Sat 09-Aug-08 21:43:53

LOL Slubber!! X-posts there grin

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 21:44:46

ho ho x post.

yes I am now happy to become a sad individual. I pretty much was a signed up, card carrying member already, pre Eddie Stobart note book grin

PortBlacksandResident Sat 09-Aug-08 21:45:27

You can become an 'Eddie' spotter but to get the full list it costs quite a bit off the website. Geeky and expensive.

Don't ask me how i know this.

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 21:48:00

my word, you have to pay to get the whole list? Why would you do that? Surely the fun is just in the collecting and the potential for dazzling adrenaline surge thrill if you spot the same truck twice in a different location.

I'm so going to start a book now.

Tigerschick Sat 09-Aug-08 21:52:33

grin

<<Tigers nonchalantly places note-book and pen next to handbag ready for trip out tomorrow>>

PortBlacksandResident Sat 09-Aug-08 21:57:31

Yes you do have to pay to get the whole list. Daft huh?

pgwithnumber3 Sat 09-Aug-08 22:00:04

<goes and stands on M6 Motorway Bridge with binoculars and notepad and pen for inspiration>

PortBlacksandResident Sat 09-Aug-08 22:01:57

£12 a year - so not as much as i initially thought!

£12

And so many names to choose from Slubber!

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 22:03:00

pgwithno3

oh no no non no mais NO.

The method is not for inspiration

The method is the choice. You either go with looking in books or tv credits or on mn

OR

you choose the ESM

You HAVE to use the first name you see. That is the law, the Eddie Stobart Method Law.

It's a risk, but isn't it exciting!

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 22:04:36

<considers what else £12 a year could be used for>

pgwithnumber3 Sat 09-Aug-08 22:07:31

Okay, will let you know what you have forced my DC3 to be named when I next see an Eddie Stobart lorry! grin

<excitedly waits to go on a motorway trip to discover name for DC3 and secretly prays its a boy so it doesn't have to be used>

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 22:11:13

Well if you were a true convert to the method you could always masculinise (not sure if that is a real word. probably not) your appointed name.

So with my ESM name today for a boy would be.................

Shonard ?

hmm

I did say it was a risky method

PortBlacksandResident Sat 09-Aug-08 22:11:27

Slubber - haven't looked at that website for nigh on 10 yrs. Just remembered it being expensive at the time.

£12 a year = £1 a month. Erm...........

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Aug-08 22:13:01

£1 a month.

<ponders>

That is a whole magnum ice cream I think

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Aug-08 22:17:12

you could always name your dd and then get eddie to name a lorry after your dd wink

or go to wincanton or bridgewater and spot a truck or twenty grin

justjules Sat 09-Aug-08 22:19:16

it is very strict working ethic,

full uniform with a tie,

people can call in and report drivers for not wearing thier tie,

and there are a whole bunch of people who eddie spot and then call in to eshq and tell the transport workers where the wagons are and what speed/direction they are going,

apparently there are loyalty pints avalible for those who 'grass up' the most shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now