Talk

Advanced search

unprounacable middle names

(10 Posts)
noonki Fri 08-Aug-08 21:42:46

My DSs have polish middle names (I am half polish)

their first names are tradtional english names, their middle names are Mieszko and Zbigniew respectively

have I been a cruel mother setting them up for years of teasing or are their friends just going to go errr what? like all of our friends have?

Anna8888 Fri 08-Aug-08 21:45:21

I don't think it matters if middle names are difficult to pronunciate because they are from another culture (albeit one that is part of the family heritage).

I was careful, however, to give my daughter a first name that "worked" in all her family cultures.

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 08-Aug-08 21:47:04

DS has a difficult to pronounce middle name (he's half Arab) but it was in honour of my DH's father who died 11 years ago and I'd promised MIL that if we had a boy that it would be after him...meant so much to her and I'm proud of it...lets face it - how much are middle names used over here except for filling in forms?!!

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Fri 08-Aug-08 21:52:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noonki Fri 08-Aug-08 22:10:11

anna8888 - my mum reckons that my DS1 name (joseph) is a real no no in Poland, (Stalin links,) but when we go their they seem to like it

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 08-Aug-08 22:11:15

Noonki - my DS is the Arabic version of Joseph - Yusuf...its the best name! Bugger any Stalinist links! smile

noonki Fri 08-Aug-08 22:14:46

pussin - I loved yusuf, my mum spent the first two weeks of Joseph's life going .. I can't believe you are using that name, it;s like calling him hitler

we were gutted! - til my DH told her where to go smile

noonki Fri 08-Aug-08 22:15:13

i mean love!

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 08-Aug-08 22:41:21

Noonki - my family were a bit hmm at the name choice because DS is the first mixed race baby in the family and they were just not used to Arabic names at all but now they can't imagine anything else and they love it! smile

TTC no 2 atm and if get lucky and have a girl, will call her Sumayah...mum is all <chuffed> as she's called Sue....! I'm thinking too far ahead...blush

shock at Hitler comment!!

bikerunski Sat 09-Aug-08 15:04:56

I have a foreign, unpronouncable middle name, which has cultural links for my dad. Hated it as a child, love it for it's uniqueness now.

I'm not sure Joseph has quite the same connections as Adolf though, as it is a very old, established bible name too. I did some work in a local Catholic primary school and there were 6 Josephs and 3 polish Jozefs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now