Talk

Advanced search

ok ladies, please be honest (but kind).....

(79 Posts)
bootus Thu 07-Aug-08 11:40:41

What do we think of name Tai for DS? Let me explain before too many of these hmm.
DP and I liked Kai, general consensus was that its not super popular, esp with mnetters!!! Anyway went off that and havent found another boys name we really like, dp works with kids which makes it hard. Also we were in Thailand when we found we were expecting and both have a bit of a love affair with country. The middle name will be very traditional English name, as per family tradition, which am hoping will negate the 'but you're not from south east asia' comments and we both have huge families who seem to put me off names easily so I thought I'd run this by strangers and hope to make a decision once and for all. Due in less than 3 weeks and dont even know if it is a boy. Ta.

llareggub Thu 07-Aug-08 11:42:33

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I prefer traditional names. I'd also presume a Tai to be a girl.

Not keen at all, sorry.

llareggub Thu 07-Aug-08 11:43:37

You could call him Tai as a nickname?

PinkPussyCat Thu 07-Aug-08 11:43:41

I like it - much better than Kai!

nancy75 Thu 07-Aug-08 11:43:53

sorry dont really like it

MmeLindt Thu 07-Aug-08 11:44:05

I prefer Kai to be honest, sorry.

Would Tai sound ok with your surname?

Overmydeadbody Thu 07-Aug-08 11:44:08

Not keen at all I'm afraid.

It does seem more of a girl's name, and you'd have loads of trouble with people not knowing how to spell it.

You'r essentially naming your child after a bit of cloth men tie around their necks.

Rhubarb Thu 07-Aug-08 11:44:43

Sounds a bit pretentious, sorry.

FabioFridgeFluffFrenzy Thu 07-Aug-08 11:46:31

Don't like Tai.
Use it as a middle name.
You are not Posh and Becks.

<close stare just to check>

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Carmenere Thu 07-Aug-08 11:52:48

I think it is a real name but I think it is a girls name. either way it is a bit, um, silly, sorry.

PrimulaVeris Thu 07-Aug-08 11:55:05

No. Sorry (am trying to be kind ... am trying to be kind ...)

TillyScoutsmum Thu 07-Aug-08 11:56:06

Not keen - sorry. It sounds like a made up name (because it is, presumably) or a shortening of Tyrone ...

<<TSM runs off quickly before she is unable to stop herself using the "c" word..>>

Doobydoo Thu 07-Aug-08 11:57:22

My ds1 wanted to be called Ty for a while[after the Tasmanian Tiger game he used to have]grin
I don't mind it,it is up to you.

Wilts Thu 07-Aug-08 11:58:21

I like it !
I worked with a Tai and my son has a Tye in his class.
I think Tai looks like a girls name and prefer the spelling Tye for a boy.

ninedragons Thu 07-Aug-08 11:58:32

It means big in Cantonese. Anyone from Hong Kong will snigger if he turns out on the hefty side.

FoghornLeghorn Thu 07-Aug-08 12:00:07

Tighe is the Irish spelling FWIW

Zebraa Thu 07-Aug-08 12:00:51

We have a Tai at school (I teach Primary) but she is a little girl.

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 12:03:04

I wouldn't.

Carmenere Thu 07-Aug-08 12:05:11

Tighe is pronounced Taige though, with the hard g sound. I think Tighe is a lovely name btw

crol Thu 07-Aug-08 12:08:05

I taught a Tai last year - lovely boy and a lovely name.

allergictohousework Thu 07-Aug-08 12:10:35

not keen and agree it sounds like a girl's name. also the naming after a place is a bit ... erm naff - that's just my opinion of course and probably not very kind. sorry.

Flier Thu 07-Aug-08 12:12:23

I like it but prefer the different spelling - Tai looks feminine, i think.

bootus Thu 07-Aug-08 12:18:45

Ho hum....nothing like you guys to give it to me straight!!! grin Is it terribly shallow to be affected by opinions so much????? Promise we're nothing like the beckhams! As for naming it after a place allergic, Tai seemd peferable to The Hilton Plaza or some such smile Thanks for trying to be kind, and if anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful as my poor kid could just be called It at this rate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now