Talk

Advanced search

Okay, so... Teddy?

(18 Posts)
BambiBaby Tue 05-Aug-08 22:57:26

I know it's usually short for Edward, but is there any alternative long form of Teddy?

I love Teddy as a nickname, especially on little boys, but it seems unfair to give that as a full name, so there's no alternative for stroppy DS to turn to when he's a teenager because his parents are apparently rubbish.

My BIL did do that, in fact hmm.

So, long version of Teddy?

x

PootleAndThePoseysMum Tue 05-Aug-08 22:58:50

Theodore (like Teddy/Theodore Roosevelt)

JackieNo Tue 05-Aug-08 22:59:38

And then he could be Theo if he didn't like Teddy.

liahgen Tue 05-Aug-08 23:00:33

i love teddy. Twill be my next boys name, but officaially edward

NorthernLurker Tue 05-Aug-08 23:03:23

ooooh I like Theodore and Teddy

WipingAssAndTakingNames Tue 05-Aug-08 23:03:38

I know a Teddy whose full name is Theodore. I think it's lovely - although he often gets called Theo by people who aren't aware that he's a Teddy.

You can also use Edward 'variations' - like Edwin, Edmund and Edgar if you don't like Edward.

I had an uncle Tedworth who was known as Ted or Teddy. Don't think many people would name a baby boy Tedworth though.

ravenAK Tue 05-Aug-08 23:04:12

Or Edmund could work.

Or actually, I did know a Teddy who was one of several Thomases in his family - they'd already exhausted Tom, Tommy, Big Tom, Little Tom...

Theodore's probably the name most people think of in connection with Teddy.

Eleta Tue 05-Aug-08 23:05:17

I'm with you in loving Teddy. We are thinking of this for our baby due in 8 weeks. (If it's a boy!)I think we would name Edward and then shorten to Teddy/Ted. Only thing is I hate Eddy/Ed and worried he could end up being called that.

Ellbell Tue 05-Aug-08 23:15:11

I think that if you 'model' Teddy/Ted most people will cotton on. My dd2 is Ellen and we shorten it, if at all, to Elsie, but she is not and never has been an Ellie (nothing wrong with Ellie, it's just not her). I have one friend (but not someone we see often) who persists with Ellie. But otherwise everyone calls her by her preferred name. Oh, and she has perfected a wonderfully condescending 'My name is Ellen' especially for people who insist on calling her Helen! wink

BambiBaby Tue 05-Aug-08 23:43:24

Quite like Theodore, Theo as a shortening sounds good too...

Edmund to me screams Narnia, and I didn't like him in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe at all. Am reading it to DS2 and DS3 at the moment, and they don't like him either, so it's definitely no to that one!

It was Ed/Eddy that put me off Edward too Eleta, as I teach in a primary school, and knew more than one who were complete horrors!

tweeni Thu 07-Aug-08 00:15:37

Edwin/Edgar/Edmund?

ghosty Thu 07-Aug-08 00:37:32

I love you all ... smile
My DS (aged 8 and a half) is a Teddy. He was named Edward but we shortened it to Teddy when he was about 4 days old. When he was 7 he decided that from now on he was going to known as 'Ted' at school. That is how he signs his name etc. A select few are still allowed to call him Teddy (family members mainly). It suits him and he is the only Ted/Teddy we know and we think it is a bloody cool name smile

ghosty Thu 07-Aug-08 00:41:41

Eleta - one of the reasons we did shorten Edward to Teddy was because all of DH's friends who came to visit when DS was born started calling him Eddie ... I hated it and went into hormonal melt down ... until my wonderful favourite Uncle Ted (who was well into his 70s then) came to visit and suggested Teddy as that was what he was called as a little boy.

wellbalanced Tue 19-Aug-08 10:46:59

I know a baby teddy but im just not keen.
Like the theodore option if i had to go with it thou..

sherbetdipdab Tue 19-Aug-08 10:51:08

This is what we have chosen if our baby (arriving Monday, eek!) is a boy. I have a nephew who is Edward but he is Ed so we decided on Theodore and shorten to Teddy or Theo.

When I posted about it a few months ago a lady said her son was Theodore but Theodorable if he was being especially cute, which I thought was, well, adorable!

We already have a Charlie.

loobylu3 Tue 19-Aug-08 11:05:53

We are thinking of Teddy if this baby is a boy- with nn as Teddy or Theo. i think it's sweet and of course if he dosen't like it has has two other choices!

jellybeans Tue 19-Aug-08 11:17:14

I like Theo but not any of the others.

mumslife Wed 27-Aug-08 20:10:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now