Talk

Advanced search

10 days old and no name yet!

(24 Posts)
rara67 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:52:41

Has anyone else not given their baby a name immediately? DH and I agree on a name but something is stopping us "going public". Maybe we really arent sure about it. Also not bathed the baby yet. He's much wanted and long awaited (our 1st ds born June 2003). I think we dont want to end this wonderful time!

SilkCutMama Mon 04-Aug-08 22:54:45

don't you need to register him soon?

Enjoy the time

Whispers - what name are you thinking of? It might help to tell us first and then "go public" smile

RedHead81 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:57:31

think you need to register within 6wks - so you got plenty of time yet!
Congrats by the way!
x

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 04-Aug-08 23:03:06

OOOH yes tell us his name.....

[waits with baited breath........]

tweeni Mon 04-Aug-08 23:12:43

what is the name? ds didn't have a bath until his cord fell off which was 3 weeks.

shirleyghostman Mon 04-Aug-08 23:15:20

happened to me too - why is it stopping you going public?

rara67 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:57:15

Thanks Mums. Forgot to say baby was born at 37+2 so we would have spent these last few weeks agreeing on a name. My stepson is Ben and DS1 is Joe. My DH like Edward (Teddy while he's tiny) but two close friends' sons are called this. I like Daniel (Dan and Danny - window cleaners name!?!) Over to you....

Nbg Tue 05-Aug-08 17:59:14

You've got 6 weeks from birth to register, so still some time yet.

Go with what you love.
You'll know if its right.
If you didnt like Edward you wouldnt call him it.
smile

Stars22 Tue 05-Aug-08 18:27:42

If its between Edward and Daniel i much prefer the name Daniel. To me Edward sounds harder and more old-fashioned.

nooonit Tue 05-Aug-08 18:58:12

rara67 - we didn't have names for either of our DDs till at least the point you are at now!

We couldn't decide while I was pregnant and then once they were here it seemed even more important for the names to be 'right' IYSWIM.

Both times we had endless grief from parents, friends etc wanting to know names, offering ideas etc but I'm so glad we waited till we were sure and ready.

Very happy 4 yrs and 6 months on that the names we (eventually) chose were right - I'm sure you will be too - you'll know when the name is right.

differentID Tue 05-Aug-08 19:27:44

If you lik ethe name EDward, how about a shortening of Ned? I know 2 people with that contraction- father and son.

solo Tue 05-Aug-08 19:31:25

Oh! Congrats! but don't panic, you aren't alone! My Dd was 20 days old before we chose her name! and I had to pin her Daddy down to take the few minutes that it took to decide. grin

Hulababy Tue 05-Aug-08 19:39:16

Edward is lovely. I also love thenn of Ned.

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 05-Aug-08 19:46:35

I'd go for Daniel from your two choices .

DanJARMouse Tue 05-Aug-08 19:49:00

Daniel

Not biased at all but it is DS's name!

Rosieglow Tue 05-Aug-08 20:14:44

Take your time - I rushed in to register DD but then spent the next year waking in a cold sweat every night that I'd given her the wrong name.

Wish I'd waited now. Would probably still be the same name but I'd feel more sure about it.

elijahblue Tue 05-Aug-08 20:55:48

Ben, Joe and Sam - lovely!

CuckooClockWorkShy Tue 05-Aug-08 21:09:21

I like Edward and Daniel, but I prefer Dan to Ed. So, by a margin, I prefer Daniel! Lovely name.

Edward with Ted for short is lovely too. V popular on this board! It's a mumsnetter name I think!

clairebear88 Wed 06-Aug-08 10:56:17

Hi

I like Elijahblues option

Ben, Joe and Sam

laura325630 Wed 06-Aug-08 12:33:46

My friend is registering he ds tomorrow. It took them 3 weeks to agree on the first name and they still havent got a 2nd! He was known as 'baby boy' until they decided!

rara67 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:55:32

Thanks again Mums! DH is out tonight so yet another oppotunity to discuss has passed us by. Yes, grief from family and friends (and doctors receptionist) but it's got to be right and my aunt getting the name plate ordered is not the correct driving force. He's such a special gift (started trying in March 2005, 2 x m/c and took 13 months each time to get pregnan) just dont want to break the spell. Off to bed so I can just look at him....

chandellina Fri 08-Aug-08 14:52:00

our babe is now 11 days old and we can't seem to reach a decision on the name either. his registry date is Aug. 28, but the pressure is on from all quarters to get him named! i'm just ignoring emails and facebook at this point.

Ineedsomesleep Fri 08-Aug-08 15:08:30

Think they are both lovely names. Go with what you love.

cafebistro Fri 08-Aug-08 15:15:23

We didnt name ds till he was 12 days old...during the pregnancy every time i wanted to discuss names he didnt, we couldnt agree..we finally decided on the way to get him registered ( we had to do it on that day as dp was going back to work and had to be there as we're not married). we never did decide on a middle name though so he just doesnt have one. We did have a list of prefered names and the one we chose was the only one we both liked in the end.
With dd though we had a boys and girls name chosen weeks in advance, and she has a middle name!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now