Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of the name Rory?

(30 Posts)
woose Mon 04-Aug-08 17:11:46

Really stuck on boys names. DH and I cannot agree. The thing is, we both really like this name, but I have this issue with it. I am not sure how it sounds with our surname. A couple of people have thought it would be weird. I cannot be objective about it anymore. The surname in question rhymes with More. So Rory More, but with a different letter. Please let me know what you think?

lou33 Mon 04-Aug-08 17:14:04

i have a rory so clearly i love it grin

FranSanDisco Mon 04-Aug-08 17:17:33

I like Rory. I have a nephew and an Uncle with this name so can see it fits all ages smile

bookthief Mon 04-Aug-08 17:20:23

What about Ruaridh or Ruari (pn roori) which are a couple of the Irish/Scottish spellings if you don't want the "oh" sound?

(I love it but am biased wink)

bobsyouruncle Mon 04-Aug-08 17:28:51

I love rory.

KelaH Mon 04-Aug-08 17:40:54

I love the name Rory, and would use it for either a boy or a girl, if it didn't rhyme with our surname Not sure with yours though, not as bad as mine I don't think, how long have you got to decide? Keep saying it to yourself and see if you get used to it.

The racing car

MaryMungo Mon 04-Aug-08 17:44:45

I'd avoid if your surname starts with "G"- to avoid the Igor sound. Otherwise, Rory is a lovely enough name to surmount many obstacles, especially with a good middle name as a buffer

EyeballsintheSky Mon 04-Aug-08 17:45:44

Lovely. I'd use it if DD was a DS

merryandmad Mon 04-Aug-08 17:47:15

Roary the Racing Car- Peter Kay springs to mind

reethi96 Mon 04-Aug-08 18:02:14

Love it, Love it, Love it! smile

woose Mon 04-Aug-08 19:16:22

Thanks everyone. Good to hear positive stuff. I keep saying it over and over to see if I get used to it. I think we would have Michael as a middle name so Rory Michael, which I think is ok, it is just the surname wasn't sure about. I don't want to just settle on a name because we can't think of another one IYKWIM. We have 7 weeks to decide. I just don't want our baby to be 'no name' for after it is born. With our first DS we had no problems. He is Nicholas James, we always knew he would be, but we used the names we agreed on. I have a feeling I am having a girl though, so maybe we wont have to worry. For a Girl she would be Francesca Rose.

squeaver Mon 04-Aug-08 19:19:44

eyeballs - me too. That was our "boy's" name. We have a surname beginning with R

lou33 Mon 04-Aug-08 19:21:15

i always found it much easier finding names for my girls than i did my boys

I like it.

filthymindedvixen Mon 04-Aug-08 19:23:03

Love it - wanted it for ds2 but was worried in case is was a prophetic name (roary )

And he is very roary! So I am glad we didn't choose it IYKWIM. But I love it as a name.

Collision Mon 04-Aug-08 19:25:15

I love it.

I love Ned too.

Rory and Ned.

Lovely. smile

(neither of these names would go with our surname)

girliefriend Mon 04-Aug-08 19:27:39

don't like it but there are worse names! (a friend of mine called her son Randy - thats worse!)

hw2004 Mon 04-Aug-08 19:28:58

It's on my short list as well and I love it. Only thing putting me off is that DS1 can't say his 'Rs' and keeps saying 'worwy' which is really putting me off.

LaDiDaDi Mon 04-Aug-08 19:30:33

I think it's nice but you must be sure that it goes with your surname when read as just Rory Surname rather than Rory Michael Surname as that's how it will be said most often.

pointydog Mon 04-Aug-08 19:30:59

s'ok but I wouldn't choose it if it almost rhymed with surname

lou33 Mon 04-Aug-08 19:31:15

you could turn it into a speech therapy play session, and get him to practice

my sister couldnt say my name when i was tiny, she called me eesa instead

very occasionally she still calls me that

woose Mon 04-Aug-08 19:37:39

I love it too, but still not sure on the rhyming thing. What does everyone think of Jerome? This was my DH idea. Not sure at all, never really known anyone to be called this. Sounds quite arty

mawbroon Mon 04-Aug-08 19:52:31

Rory much better than Jerome IMO

chonky Mon 04-Aug-08 19:53:21

I love it, especially the Scots spelling of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now