Talk

Advanced search

What would you think if your FIL called your DC a different name to everyone else?

(11 Posts)
2point4kids Mon 04-Aug-08 13:31:58

I find this very strange, but not sure if it really is strange or if its just me...

DS's full name is Edward.
He is known as Ted or Teddy by everyone we know. I only ever call him Teddy.
FIL always calls him Eddie! Even straight after I say Teddy ie. 'Look Teddy, here's Grandad' 'Hello Eddie'

I find it bizarre and wonder if it means that he dislikes Teddy and cant bring himself to say it?
I'd never say anything. After all DS's name is Edward and Eddie is short for Edward (its not like he is calling him James grin ) but I do find it odd.

Is it odd or is it normal for people to shorten names their own way regardless of what the parents do?

posieflump Mon 04-Aug-08 13:33:29

it does sound a bit odd!

hanaflower Mon 04-Aug-08 13:33:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubyRioja Mon 04-Aug-08 13:34:30

just a pet name really

SiennaMillerLovesBotoxFiller Mon 04-Aug-08 13:35:10

Start calling him Terence- unless that is his name in which case call him Diva-Muffin

OrmIrian Mon 04-Aug-08 13:35:52

My MIL is called 'ganny' by all DH's nephews and neices and my eldest 2 DCs. But 'granny' by DS#2. No rhyme nor reason, but he prefers it. A nickname can be personal to the user as well as the usee iyswim.

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 13:36:19

sounds like he probalby doesnt like teddy/ted, think it is wrong of him to use his alternative vesion though.

Iklboo Mon 04-Aug-08 13:37:38

Bit odd, but maybe he thinks Teddy is your pet name for DS and he doesn't want to 'pinch' it from you?

mrswoolf Mon 04-Aug-08 13:38:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilmissmummy Mon 04-Aug-08 13:41:33

We have a pet nickname for our eldest son however his grandparents call him something different and my grandparents refuse to shortne it. I think it is just personal preference, unless you hate his new nickname then I wouldnt worry too much about it!

TwoBigNorks Mon 04-Aug-08 14:15:07

I think its cute
as your son gets older he might either correct him or quite like the special name his grandad uses, either way problem solved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now