Talk

Advanced search

Max - a cop-out?

(67 Posts)
chandellina Fri 01-Aug-08 23:02:17

Baby is three days old and badly in need of a name.
Our most recent thinking was Cormac - with nickname of Mack - but thinking it may be just a bit too obscure outside of Ireland (and we have no Ireland connection either).
We thought it could also get continually confused with Max.
I always thought Max was a bit too much of an "easy" choice - a little too trendy or popular or something.
But maybe it is actually a perfect and simple name?
Please advise!!

cornsilk Fri 01-Aug-08 23:03:57

you don't need an Irish connection. My ds's have a scottish and a french name and we are neither. Cormac is lovely - much nicer than Max!

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 23:04:30

I like it!

If you like it then go for it smile

There have been a few threads lately about people regretting the name choices for their baby - go with what you like regardless of whether its an 'easy' choice or whether it is obscure.

Good luck

chopchopbusybusy Fri 01-Aug-08 23:10:34

Well, whatever you do don't rush into anything, you have a long time to decide, so take it easy. I like both.

rachaelsara Fri 01-Aug-08 23:14:04

I've got a Lilly who was christened Elizabeth and it's just complicated. Best to choose a name and stick to it imoa. EG when you phone school and say " Lilly won't be in because a lion ate her homework" they don't know you really mean Elizabeth!

BlueDragonfly Fri 01-Aug-08 23:16:12

If you have doubts then keep tinking. You have 6 weeks after they are born before it needs to be 'real'. DS3 has an irish name, we are not even remotely irish. Its anice name but we rushed into it and it still doesn't feel like "him". I think on all his official forms i will give his nickname lol

frazzledoldbag34 Fri 01-Aug-08 23:36:37

Cormac is lovely. More unusual than Max. And would you not want to use Maximilian or something for the proper version of Max?
Cormac is nice shortened to Mac.
In my opinion anyway!

chandellina Sat 02-Aug-08 10:23:43

thanks everyone. I think we would just use Max. I don't really like Maximilian or Maxwell, though i usually do like a more formal name.
i saw that Max may be rooted to a Welsh name, Macson - that's kind of cool but a spelling nightmare.
Cormac has the benefit of options - Corey, Mac.
we are still undecided!
poor little no name ...

BeckieB Sat 02-Aug-08 12:10:42

We have a Max, Maximilian on his birth certificate, and although it has definitely become more popular we still love the name. It's often altered to Maxi, Maximus and the Maxter.

FranSanDisco Sat 02-Aug-08 12:15:22

We have a Max. He is the only one in his school. Once heard it is never forgotten. No-one forgets ds's name - maybe that's the boy though shock and not the name. I have Irish roots and dh has Scottish roots but we didn't go down that road. If a name doesn't feel right then don't go for it but we haven't regretted Max and looking at him now he couldn't be anything else. Good luck grin.

oi Sat 02-Aug-08 12:20:24

I liked Max but when ds was born, dh's boss was a Max so it would have looked a bit arselicking we thought!

Anna8888 Sat 02-Aug-08 12:22:13

Max is a great name - but best if a shortened version of Maximilian IMVHO.

FranSanDisco Sat 02-Aug-08 12:25:54

oi - you made me LOL. Our Max is just Max.

MrsMattie Sun 03-Aug-08 17:05:17

Not another Max!

Cormac is cool.

objectivity Sun 03-Aug-08 17:08:42

What about Maxim rather than the lengthy Maximillian? DS is Maxim and is called Maxim too,not just Max.

blowsy Sun 03-Aug-08 17:13:56

Love Maxim.

My dcs go to a very small school and there are at least 4 boys called Max.

loobylu3 Sun 03-Aug-08 23:01:59

I love Maxim too and am considering it for baby no. 3 myself!

BarcodeZebra Sun 03-Aug-08 23:05:35

Cormac is a great name.

Macsen was the first king of wales I believe and would make a nice change from the conventional Max (perfectly good name - was my nickname a t school due to being hugely tall).

PrincessPeaHead Sun 03-Aug-08 23:06:01

Max strikes me as a non-name for people with no imagination

I don't know why that is. Max is just... blah

KiwiKat Sun 03-Aug-08 23:13:07

DS is Maximilian, after his greatgrandfather, and this is shortened to Max, Maxi, Maxa. Was devastated when the truly dreadful Kerry Katona pinched the name.

pointydog Sun 03-Aug-08 23:20:49

Max is good, simple is good

nappyaddict Sun 03-Aug-08 23:37:58

maxim and maxamus are good.

ja9 Sun 03-Aug-08 23:40:27

i've taught a Mac (not in Ireland). He's a lovely boy so it makes it a lovely name grin - go for it!

nappyaddict Mon 04-Aug-08 00:24:39

How about Dexter?

nappyaddict Mon 04-Aug-08 00:47:56

Zachary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now