Talk

Advanced search

Zara - thoughts, feelings, opinions (all taken!)

(19 Posts)
FlirtyThirty Tue 29-Jul-08 12:13:12

I'm quite taken with Zara as a first name if we have a girl. Just wondred what people thought of it as a name...what sort of characteristics and personality it conjures and whether or not you think it's pretty for a girl and woman.

(Oh, surname McBriar)

Thanks!

FoghornLeghorn Tue 29-Jul-08 12:14:55

I quite like it, although I 'know' a Zara who puts me off the name - why is that always the case ?
We are going for Lara should this one be a girl

hanaflower Tue 29-Jul-08 12:17:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fimbo Tue 29-Jul-08 12:18:36

I like Zara and Lara but not sure if they flow with McBriar.

I know a Malaysian lady called Zariah which is nice

thefunkypea Tue 29-Jul-08 12:28:47

I know some lovely Zara's - think it's a great name

pgwithnumber3 Tue 29-Jul-08 12:41:04

I too like Zara, like Zara Alexandra.

suedonim Tue 29-Jul-08 12:46:35

I like Zara, I remember being impressed when Princess Anne used it. I'm not sure it goes with your surname, though - rather a lot of 'a' sounds.

FlirtyThirty Tue 29-Jul-08 12:51:04

Thanks for the feedback ladies...hmm..it's one of the few names that I like and haven't gone off over the course of a few weeks. I seem to change my mind SO much on lots of others. Will think about the surname issue a bit...I sort of understand what you mean...but I think I still like it...
Will ponder some more..

Oh, and love Zara Alexandra as a combo!

KateF Tue 29-Jul-08 12:59:49

I like it too, maybe because dd2 has a lovely friend called Zahra. It goes quite well with your surname but I would avoid another name ending in 'a' for a middle name.

LadyThompson Tue 29-Jul-08 13:03:05

Pretty name, but I just think with the shop and Zara Phillips it wouldn't seem like *her own* name...

What about Zinnia? It's a flower.

Pinkjenny Tue 29-Jul-08 13:04:32

I really like it. Dd's name begins with an A, and am considering Zara or Zoe for the next baby if its a girl.

Not that I'm pregnant. grin

Funny, I never thought of the shop.

Communion Tue 29-Jul-08 13:11:21

Loevly name.

It's not twee, like many girls names can be, it's quite strong, but not harsh, not too common, but not bizarre or made up, it's quite funky, a bit 'arty' to me, great for a girl and a woman.

cornsilk Tue 29-Jul-08 13:12:23

makes me think of the shop

TwoWashTutter Tue 29-Jul-08 13:13:03

i like it

only think of zara phillips - not a bad thing

beanieb Tue 29-Jul-08 13:13:04

what about Zaila if it's not been suggested already?

FlirtyThirty Tue 29-Jul-08 13:29:38

Funnily enough...the shop never entered my head! And as you say...Zara Philips is a pretty good 'namesake'.
Hmm...will keep it on my 'A' List...

LadyThompson Tue 29-Jul-08 13:35:00

What about Zelda, or even Zuleika, (as in Zuleika Dobson, novel by Max Beerbohm? Jerry Hall said it was her favourite book ever and contemplated naming one of her kids that)

Koshka Tue 29-Jul-08 13:35:04

Zara looks 'unfinished' to me, am weird though!
I like Zarah
but its a bit like Sarah though.

eandz Tue 29-Jul-08 13:37:27

my name is Zara. it's ok, but people get annoying when they say stuff like "oh, like the store?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now