Talk

Advanced search

My "Lily" quandary

(25 Posts)
boolean Thu 24-Jul-08 16:50:23

DH loves the name Lily, which I also like as it is my nan's name and I always said I wanted it for a middle name for that reason, but he really wants it for a first name.

I have objections to this as it is so ridiculously popular at the moment and I didn't really want a name which ended in 'y' or 'ie', as I don't consider them to be 'strong' names (I am a Julie and so it's obviously just my own hang up! Apols to the hundreds of you I have probably just offended!! blush)

Any suggestions for 'strong' names which I could tempt him with? I like Martha and Frances, both of which he is okayish with, but he keeps going back to Lily...

ScaryHairy Thu 24-Jul-08 17:03:24

What about calling her Lilian or Liliana? Then he can still call her Lily.
I have the same hang up as you about names ending in ie or y (although I really really like Sophie) but I like those two.

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 17:06:33

Charlotte
Catherine
Helen
Fiona
Caroline
Georgia/Georgina

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 17:07:48

I also think Elizabeth, shortened to Beth is strong, but doesn't go with Lily imo.

Hulababy Thu 24-Jul-08 17:08:25

I love the name Martha, beautiful and pretty

But I also like the name Lily - again very pretty. As suggested already - you could have a more formal name and shorten it to Lily.

I don;t follow the arguement re ie/y names not being strong names personnaly; doesn;t see to be my experience anyway. But each to their own.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 24-Jul-08 17:12:24

Philippa.

findtheriver Thu 24-Jul-08 17:50:20

Martha Lily. Or Frances Lily.
Much prettier, classier and more unusual

belgo Thu 24-Jul-08 17:51:30

Lily is a shortening for Elizabeth.

boolean Thu 24-Jul-08 19:13:13

Thanks all! Yes, I know the hang-up about names ending in 'y' and 'ie' is stupid, but good idea to think about a name which can be shortened to Lily, although looking at Martha Lily I am more convinced than ever...how to persuade my stubborn other half..!hmm

I do like Lilith as well, but DH says it just reminds him of the horrible ex-wife in Frasier(!)

I do like Charlotte too - thanks for that suggestion, Cies.

brimfull Thu 24-Jul-08 19:15:27

My friends dd is called Lillias
lvely
but she does get called lily and lils

what about Rose?

2point4kids Thu 24-Jul-08 19:15:36

My brother really wanted Martha when DN was born but his gf overruled it with Lily. She is now Lily Martha and its a lovely name, but I still think Martha Lily is fab smile

2point4kids Thu 24-Jul-08 19:16:00

Lilia?

Divvy Thu 24-Jul-08 20:06:18

I have a Lily, and so glad she is called that, it really suits her, but she was jsut Baby for 2 weeks while we made up our minds.

Her much loved and passed away Nanny was Lilian so its very fitting.

ps she is Lily Ella

DonnyLass Thu 24-Jul-08 20:17:33

its quite traditional in ireland to call a child everyday by their second name .... so a martha lilly would be called lilly

cant you dig out an old irish lineage to convince dh?

Ellbell Thu 24-Jul-08 20:20:04

Heard the other day of a little girl called Lilia (actually, not sure if it's spelled Lilia or Lillia), which is sweet.

DD1 was nearly called Lilian (Lily for short), but became a Madeleine instead (shortened first to Maddie, then to Madge, and now I seem to be in a phase of calling her Magic).

Ellbell Thu 24-Jul-08 20:21:00

Oops, sorry, missed the fact that 2.4 had already suggested it.

Tinkerisdead Thu 24-Jul-08 20:23:11

My Dh likes Lily and its on our list, i wanted Lydia (liddy) so that there was a stronger sound with the option of an "ie" sounding nickname. i have been refused so Lily is still on our list although i do worry that there would be ten of them in nursery!

Divvy Thu 24-Jul-08 20:34:11

...but the only thing is, our surname starts with a G blush

PeppaPigsMum Fri 25-Jul-08 02:32:21

dd2 is Frances Lily - we call her Frankie. obviously i love the name, but we have had lots of positive comments from others.

nickeldime Fri 25-Jul-08 17:47:27

How about Lila? A variant form, but sounds 'stronger' with the '-a' ending? Not as popular as Lily as well.

www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Lila

cyteen Fri 25-Jul-08 17:55:32

As an alternative, how about Susanna? Apparently it means 'white lily'.

Lily is a lovely name in itself - my favourite grandma is a Lily - so don't let popularity put you off if you both feel strongly for it

HonoriaGlossop Fri 25-Jul-08 18:05:49

Lily is a beautiful name - far nicer than Martha IMO

Round here I don't know a single Lily of any age - don't forget she may not be in your street forever, and may not meet many other lily's

Go for it, your DH is right!!!

HonoriaGlossop Fri 25-Jul-08 18:07:04

my son is reading this too, and HE thinks Martha grin

laweaselmys Sat 26-Jul-08 19:47:04

Don't do Frances. It's my middle name and I have always really hated it. Plus 'fannie' is the world's most awful nickname.

I like both Lily and Martha though, great names.

zwiggy Sat 26-Jul-08 19:49:35

what about Delilah? could be shortened to lily or lila.

lily is too popular, DHs often like popular names don't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now