Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are these names too popular?

(24 Posts)
redinthehead Mon 21-Jul-08 21:38:55

We have an completely unpronouncable surname so have decided we want a fairly classic, well known name for dd1. Really like:

Amelia (Milly)
Sophie
Hannah

but want your opinion on whether they are just too popular right now? Think Hannah is fairly classic but is Amelia too 'of the moment' iykwim?

2littlehorrors Mon 21-Jul-08 21:42:36

I think all are lovely. Hannah was top of my list for a girl but I ended up with 2 boys! I've not actually come across a Sophie or Amelia yet where I am and only know of 1 Hannah.

funnypeculiar Mon 21-Jul-08 21:44:20

I know shed-loads of Amelias (& I do think Milly is very, very 'now'), and a fair few Sophie/Sophia/Sofia etc

Only one Hannah, strangely. Hannah is a lovely name smile

Megglevache Mon 21-Jul-08 21:44:28

Does it matter? They're all popular with good reason, they are such lovely names.

juneybean Mon 21-Jul-08 21:45:00

I don't think any of them are too popular, children I know with those names are all over 5 years old, and haven't heard any younger ones :D

scorpio1 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:45:11

I have a Millie grinDo you like Emilia?

I like Hannah too.

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 21:45:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redinthehead Mon 21-Jul-08 21:45:39

I have only come across older children with these names round here, but they all seem to make the top 10 most popular names lists for the past few years running.

castille Mon 21-Jul-08 21:46:26

Lovely namessmile

notnowbernard Mon 21-Jul-08 21:46:57

I love Millie, but don't like Amelia

Hannah fab

Not too keen on Sophie

girlandboy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:47:53

Know 3 Amelia's (Milly's).
Don't know any "little" Sophie's only older ones.
Know loads and loads and loads of Hannah's of ALL ages.

Mind you, I like all these names.

Nemoandthefishes Mon 21-Jul-08 21:48:11

I have a hannah and know an amelia who gets called meli. Have met a few hannahs but not as popular as some other names like sophie of which there are 3 in ds nursery class

Heated Mon 21-Jul-08 21:48:15

Popular for a very good reason: they are lovely. And to the ppl who count they will be the only Hannah, Sophie, Amelia. They are also names that will stand the test of time.

AbbeyA Mon 21-Jul-08 21:59:45

I like them all. I think that you should go for what you like and not worry about whether they are popular.

mamadiva Mon 21-Jul-08 22:03:15

I like them all but I have to say I prefer Hannah and Sophie but I think it's just because there's an old woman I hate called Amelia.

harpomarx Mon 21-Jul-08 22:05:26

if you like them, don't worry about them being popular.

dd's name is incredibly popular these last few years (I thought it was tres original at the time). I still love it and I think everyone else who chose the name just has really good taste grin

lollyheart Mon 21-Jul-08 22:33:03

My brothers girls are Sophie and Amelia but they are the only ones i know and know just one Hannah. all nice namessmile

Nemoandthefishes Mon 21-Jul-08 22:34:08

think all my childrens names are populare ish but then they are traditional names.

rolledhedgehog Tue 22-Jul-08 13:28:56

I don't know any Hannahs. The others are quite popular.

cthea Tue 22-Jul-08 13:30:32

Lovely names but Sophie and Amelia are v popular.

zoejeanne Tue 22-Jul-08 16:01:02

I like all of them, but had a dog called Millie - I will never give my pets 'human' names again, as Millie, Rob, Ben, Poppy and Tara are all off the list already for that reason!

Z.x

pointydog Tue 22-Jul-08 16:09:59

Lots of Hannahs in Scotland, but nice name.
Not many Sophies here at all.
Only a light sprinkling of Millies.

Just go with your favoueite

KristinaM Tue 22-Jul-08 16:17:30

lots of Sophie's here (too in DD class)
Hannah's too but mostly over 10s
Amelia's mostly babies

which goes better with your unusual surname?

Sidge Tue 22-Jul-08 16:23:11

They're all lovely.

We have one of the names on your list for our DD1 and she is the only one in her whole junior school!

I suppose it depends where you live, we have very few 'classic' names in school and lots of Keiras, Shannons, Chloes, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now