Talk

Advanced search

Ok, final shortlist (I think!)

(30 Posts)
Eleta Sat 19-Jul-08 21:08:05

Have gone through all sorts of names from traditional to more unusual and just think I am more comfortable using something fairly traditional. What do you think of my shortlist and which sounds best. Surname Newby. DD1 Charlotte, DD2 Molly

For boy Harry Charles or Thomas Charles
Girl, Lucy Alice, Lucy Scarlett or Alice Scarlett (we Did like Matilda as well but no one else in family liked it)

windyweather Sat 19-Jul-08 21:10:55

Love

Harry Charles &
Lucy scarlett

funnypeculiar Sat 19-Jul-08 21:11:19

Personally prefer Thomas Charles & Lucy Alice - not sure Scarlett goes with Lucy or Alice somehow.

reethi96 Sat 19-Jul-08 21:11:47

I like Harry and Thomas, if going for Thomas I would shorten it to Tom.

I love Lucy, Alice is also nice too, I'm not big on middle names but both of the combinations you have gone for sound good. smile

cafebistro Sat 19-Jul-08 21:12:27

Both boys names are lovely but if i had to choose would go with Thomas.
Prefer Lucy to Alice so would go for Lucy Scarlett. Like Matilda esp. shortened to tilly!

tortoiseSHELL Sat 19-Jul-08 21:12:52

Harry Charles
and I think I would go with...
Alice Matilda - so not one of your options!

youngbutnotdumb Sat 19-Jul-08 21:13:20

Hi assuming Charles is a middle name? for a boy.

Loving Harry Newby I must say is really cute but Thomas Newby sounds very serious for some reason but is nice although of the 2 I say Harry.

For a girl defo Lucy Alice is just a nice sounding name.

Good Luck

Heated Sat 19-Jul-08 21:13:50

Harry Charles & Lucy Scarlett

Spidermama Sat 19-Jul-08 21:14:00

Scarlett Lucy.

I couldn't choose either Thomas or Harry as there are simply too many of them around. How about Charles/Charlie as a first name? There aren't so many of them these days.

Eleta Sat 19-Jul-08 21:24:37

Hi, I have allways liked the name Scarlett but can't have as first name as rhymes with DD1. Can't have Charles/Charlie either because of her smile

tortoiseshell - I also like Alice Matilda. I struggle more with middle names to go with ALice

I know there are lots of Tom and Harry's about but doesn't bother me too much. But one of each in my children's school (small school though) They are the only names dh and I agree on.

matildax Sat 19-Jul-08 21:29:52

pick the name matilda if its a little girl, just because the rest of your family, dont like it, doesnt stop it from being the bestest name in the whole wide world!!! wink smile
for a little boy, harry charles is very cute in my opinion,
both will remain classic boys names

nooka Sat 19-Jul-08 21:33:25

All nice, but I don't like Harry as a given name. Much prefer Henry, with Harry as the shortening.

matildax Sat 19-Jul-08 21:33:48

seriously however with your surname and your other daughters names, i think i would pick lucy alice, it goes really well with your other little ones names. hth xx

bluenosesaint Sat 19-Jul-08 22:44:10

Lucy Alice
and
Harry Charles

Although all of your choices are lovely (as are your dd's names) smile

1dilemma Sat 19-Jul-08 22:54:27

All your names are lovely however either for boys and Lucy Alice for a girl however are you worried about 2 of your children having names ending in eee? in which case Thomas would be OK, and you could do Alice Lucy for a dd!!

unknownrebelbang Sat 19-Jul-08 22:56:14

Either boy's name, think I prefer Harry Charles for some reason, but I do love the name Thomas.

Lucy Scarlett for a girl.

olyoly Sat 19-Jul-08 23:00:04

I like Lucy Alice and Harry. Wonderful names.

Eleta Sun 20-Jul-08 07:29:50

thanks everyone. Glad most people like my choices. I know names are a personal thing and not everyone will like every name but I think that's why I have chosen more traditional names, I wanted names that although peoples may not choose them for their own children, they would be less likely to have strong negative reactions to the names either. I guess I am just not brave enough to stand out in a crowd blush

chutneymary Sun 20-Jul-08 08:35:20

Well I have a lucy and a Matilda so I think your choices are excellent!

I prefer Thomas to Harry and would like it for DC3 except I can think of LOADS of Thomases which puts me off a little. I appreciate that L and M are hugely popular too, but I think Thomas has been popular for longer. I prefer Henry to Harry, but am not wild about either.

cece Sun 20-Jul-08 08:43:37

With your last name I prefer Alice and Thomas.

BTW there are loads and loads of Charlie's around here!

seeker Sun 20-Jul-08 08:47:06

Can I be boring? How about Lucia and Henry, with Lucy and Harry as shortenings?

Love Alice abut agree that Sacrlett doesn't really "fit"

LOVE Matilda - I be the rest of the family would come round once they start using it!

hw2004 Sun 20-Jul-08 16:16:01

Thomas?? We can't have 2 of them - lol ;)

theinsider Sun 20-Jul-08 16:29:04

elijahblue Sun 20-Jul-08 16:40:40

Harry Charles and Lucy Scarlett

nickeldime Sun 20-Jul-08 17:01:40

Thomas Charles and Lucy Scarlet.

Love the name Lucy; it's been popular before (#1 around 1900), and it's trending up again in the recent decade: baby name Lucy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now