Talk

Advanced search

Lilian?

(23 Posts)
kiwimumtobe Sat 19-Jul-08 11:32:33

Having a really hard time trying to come up with a name for our little girl - am 35 weeks pregnant. What do you think of Lilian? Really need some inspiration!

belgo Sat 19-Jul-08 11:33:50

It's alright. A little old fashioned perhaps. I really like Lily.

anotherdayyetanothernickame Sat 19-Jul-08 11:44:42

I like it a lot - it can be shortened to Lil or Lily. A lovely name.

Purplepillow Sat 19-Jul-08 11:45:19

I have a sil called lillian but is known as Lili which I prefer, such a sweet name for a little girl grin

Collision Sat 19-Jul-08 11:47:09

I do like Lily.

I quite like Liliana.

Really dont like Lilian....too old lady for me and a name which is a bit like Barbara or Dorothy....

sorry.

what sort of names do you like? short and sharp like

Nell
Meg

or long and more graceful like

Annabel
Gabriella

piratecat Sat 19-Jul-08 11:48:16

i was only thinking of this name yesterday, as it was my nan's name.

i like it, and the fact that it can be shortened to lili very easily.

Tigerschick Sat 19-Jul-08 11:49:37

It's a bit old fashioned for me.
But I know of 2 little girls, both under one, one of whom has it as a middle name and the other who is called Lily-Anna ... not sure what you think of that as an option ...

MrsJohnCusack Sat 19-Jul-08 11:54:54

you could have Lilith instead or Liliana. Or jsut Lily (which i really like)
are you in NZ then, or a Kiwi abroad? <nosey>

kiwimumtobe Sat 19-Jul-08 12:08:36

Hi there. I am a NZer who has been living here with English husband for almost 10 years. We have a little girl already named Amelie. I prefer long and graceful names to shorter ones, as surname is very short.
Would really like a name that is not too popular at the moment. Thought about Cecilia too...

WelliesAndPyjamas Sat 19-Jul-08 12:10:07

Liliana is one of our current favourites for a girl.

Tigerschick Sat 19-Jul-08 12:12:43

I really like Cecilia but DH vetoed for some reason.

andlipsticktoo Sat 19-Jul-08 16:19:07

Eww. No sorry I don't like 'Lilian" or any of the variations of that name - it just reminds me of a tampon, and in some areas of the UK it's also the nic-name for a woman's bits...
shock

I'm not v good at girl's names though, so not much use. I do really like Orla, but that's quite short. Sorry!

3andnomore Sat 19-Jul-08 16:22:29

I think Lilian is a gorgeous name.
Oldfashioned names are trendy right now anyway...

BetteNoire Sat 19-Jul-08 16:24:25

I love it!
Would spell it as Lillian.

Wallace Sat 19-Jul-08 16:42:08

I think it is lovely

nooka Sat 19-Jul-08 17:01:40

My dd is a Lilian (after her dh's grandmother). She is mostly known as Lily (one of the reasons why I think Lilian works better with one l in the middle - Lilly looks odd to me).. I think it is a lovely name (biased of course!) and whilst Lily is a very common name, we've not met another Lilian, so she's got that little bit of uniqueness too. We have a short surname too, and I think it's a graceful combination. I have an aunt Cecilia, and think that's a nice name too.

I've never come across anything like Lily/Lilian as being used for bits, either in RL or on mumsnet before (and there have been many threads about that topic!). Not saying that this mightn't be true, just perhaps quite a regional thing?

lunavix Sat 19-Jul-08 17:03:43

Yes two 'l's

or Lilith (one 'l' lol)

littledudesmummy Mon 21-Jul-08 14:21:05

Belgian sister-in-law is Liliane, pronounced Lily-anne which I think sounds pretty and it also looks pretty with the e at the end. I love it and I love her!

HonoriaGlossop Mon 21-Jul-08 14:26:35

Lovely name!

I think it is unusual too, which is nice - but she can be Lily for short. And probably as an older child/teenager she will choose to be Lili which she will think is SOO cool smile

MrsMattie Mon 21-Jul-08 14:28:19

No. Lily is gorgeous, Liliana is pretty, but Lillian just reminds me of librarian women who smell of moth balls.

mrswoolf Mon 21-Jul-08 15:07:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 15:20:39

I always think of Lilian as a tart's name, but I think that was from watching 'Bread' or some other such programme as a kid!

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 15:20:59

What about Lily-Ann?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now