Talk

Advanced search

Elizabeth and Isobel

(16 Posts)
lizzielu Wed 16-Jul-08 16:53:35

DD1 is Elizabeth (no nickname) - would it be ridiculous to call DD2 Isobel as this is another form of Elizabeth?

hunkermunker Wed 16-Jul-08 16:55:49

Would you ever be tempted to call them Lizzie and Izzie?

ScummyMummy Wed 16-Jul-08 16:56:10

Is it? Didn't know that. So I wouldn't have thought it ridiculous at all. Think they're both lovely names and great together.

bossykate Wed 16-Jul-08 16:56:47

i love both names, but yes surely you would end up with izzy and lizzy...

ScummyMummy Wed 16-Jul-08 16:56:49

Ah! Hunker has found a good potential downside!

ScummyMummy Wed 16-Jul-08 16:58:18

Izzie and Lizzie would be great for an occasional family in joke but horrendous as nicknames that stuck.

katebee Wed 16-Jul-08 17:08:28

If the meanings are the same I probably wouldn't use Isobel..it is a lovely name though..could you use Isobel as the second name?

lizzielu Wed 16-Jul-08 17:27:21

Thought as much on Izzy and Lizzy - back to the drawing board and only 4 days to go until the new arrival!

ScummyMummy Wed 16-Jul-08 17:40:20

How about:

Katherine
Caroline
Diana
Alice
Anna
Hannah
Charlotte
Ava
Louise
Alexandra
Mary
Victoria
Florence
Grace
Nancy

I think quite a few names go well with Elizabeth but don't sound too matching in a lizzie Izzie way. Think you need something slightly more formal sounding and fairly timeless to go with Elizabeth.

btw just looked on a baby names site and it said that Isobel is Scottish in origin and means Consecrated to God whereas Elizabeth is Hebrew originally and means Oath of God. Not sure how accurate that is.

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Wed 16-Jul-08 17:56:40

To keep with the queenly theme ...

Eleanor
Mary
Matilda
Maud
Catherine
Anne
Alexandra

tommiles001 Wed 16-Jul-08 18:25:34

Don't think there's an issue. Although both Isobel (from Isabella) and Elizabeth are of the same origin: "Derived from the elements 'el' which means God ; 'sheba' which means oath" - they are often used today as independent names, with many variants of their own, eg. Isobel, Izabella, Isabeau, for Isabella, which are seldom classified as variants of Elizabeth. More info on the name Isabella, and the name Elizabeth.

PollyParanoia Wed 16-Jul-08 18:26:45

Isabel is Elizabeth in Spanish (ie Reina Isabel is our monarch if you're reading Hola instead of Hello). I always think that if there's one small reason not to use a name, then don't. It's not as they're aren't lots to choose from.

nooka Wed 16-Jul-08 18:36:06

Were you planning to use those shortenings? If not I can't see an issue with it. After all you could end up with Lizzy and Bella or Beth and Izzy or even use their whole names. But yes there are many other names you could choose from and avoid the whole issue

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Wed 16-Jul-08 22:31:04

Oooh Sorry that would be silly. Everybody knows that Isabel is Spanish for Elizabeth. What about Elizabeth and Annabel? They match better imo. They are both steadier classics. Isabella more of the moment than Annabel.

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Wed 16-Jul-08 22:34:13

Sorry, Isobel I meant, not Isabella.

AbbeyA Wed 16-Jul-08 22:39:27

Could you not use the Isobel for the second name and something different for the first-to avoid the Lizzie and Izzy or Liz and Iz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now