(109 Posts)
mrswoolf Wed 16-Jul-08 12:00:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrswoolf Wed 16-Jul-08 12:00:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pointydog Wed 16-Jul-08 12:03:12

other people's snobbishness on teh whole

Carnival Wed 16-Jul-08 12:03:25

There's a little girl called Pocahontas near where I used to stay. Why, oh why!

pointydog Wed 16-Jul-08 12:03:59

perceptions of the people who use the name. What makes a name poncy or posh? Same answer.

SoupDragon Wed 16-Jul-08 12:04:29

"chav" names tend to be those made up type names used by celebrites which are then used by the masses.

ranting Wed 16-Jul-08 12:04:34

I'm with pointydog on this, definitely other peoples snobbery.

dizzydixies Wed 16-Jul-08 12:07:06

my dd2 apparently has a chav name even though I certainly don't feel that it is

am with pointydog and ranting on this

other people's snobbery

hatrick Wed 16-Jul-08 12:08:35

Message withdrawn

dizzydixies Wed 16-Jul-08 12:13:38

<<waves>> hatrick hope you're doing ok smile

PortBlacksandResident Wed 16-Jul-08 12:17:03

The sort of name my grandma would say "She'll never be Prime Minister with a name like that".

BlueChampagne Wed 16-Jul-08 13:48:39

One generation's posh/chav name won't be another's. Or they'll drop of the scale entirely. The Victorians had some way-out names. My great great aunt was called Jamesina (this is probably a tame example - she called herself Hope). And where did the Brontes get Currer, Acton and Ellis from? hmm should I post these, and if so, for boys or girls?

Elkat Sat 19-Jul-08 19:32:48

"Chav names, I find, tend to be of more recent coinage with little history behind them. Creative (mis) spelling can also be involved, as can hyphens."

On the whole I agree with that, although I think some people can be terribly misguided as to what constitutes a 'modern name' or a name with 'little history'. For example, my DD is Eloise, and I've heard people refer to that as a 'new name' - errr, it's been around for about a thousand years (Think Heloise and Abelard - c12century), and my friend has also had that said of her daughter's name - Lydia and that's in the Bible!

Podrick Sat 19-Jul-08 19:38:40

Names of cities/countries
Names of wines
Names of footballers/ football clubs
Anything mis-spelt
Most names that start with K

Kings' and Queens' of England names are not chavvy if you want to play safe wink

southeastastra Sat 19-Jul-08 19:39:48

i can't wait for 'chav' to die out as a descriptive word.

Podrick Sat 19-Jul-08 19:42:06

no point waiting, it will only be replaced by similar word

Ineedsomesleep Sat 19-Jul-08 20:47:29

I agree with the creative (mis) spelling and the use of hyphens. Also popular seems to be the lack of vowels. Have come across a couple children lately called K-C.

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sat 19-Jul-08 22:50:32

I agree with Podrick. There are names that are a little flashy, too trendy, kr8tifly spelt, too silly... unwise for a variety of reasons.

However, describing names like Tara and LIam as chav is a little ignorant and xenophobic. Or at the very least just pointlessly nasty.

Podrick Sun 20-Jul-08 09:57:37

It is of course highly offensive to criticise anyone's choice of name for their child in front of them.

But probably unrealistic to think that everyone will truly like your name choices, particularly if you stray off the beaten track.

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 20-Jul-08 10:06:05

why have people stopped using the term "Common"?

Is it because it could be perceived as extremely rude?

retiredgoth Sun 20-Jul-08 10:23:13

...but snobbery is such fun!

(and rude, too I confess)

I am in the happy position of being from distinctly working class origins, yet have accumulated education and the ability to function in several layers of society (aided by an accent I can shift from near RP to broad native "Bristle" in a trice)

...so I can be both a snob AND an inverted snob.

Splendid.

Therefore I am able to mock Jonty and Jemima in equal measure to Chardonnay and Konnor.....

I am equally as unpleasant in person, I assure you.

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 20-Jul-08 10:47:34

<<hairy eyeball>>

princessglitter Sun 20-Jul-08 10:50:38

Are all hyphen names chav? What about Anne-Marie or Lily-Rose or Mary-Frances? Or is it just Chardonnay-Keisha?

<Panics, as dd1 has hyphen name.>

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sun 20-Jul-08 19:57:48

[beady eyeball]

Not for spelling Conor with a K, but for spelling it with two Ns!!!

I think hyphen names make me want to break out in to song. Like Billy Ray Cyrus singing about an achy breaky heart. I bet all the girls he sings about have double-barrelled names.

Onestonetogo Sun 20-Jul-08 20:02:17

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now