Talk

Advanced search

Evelyn or Megan?

(87 Posts)
LazyLinePainterJane Fri 11-Jul-08 10:21:28

DH and I are at loggerheads debating these two names. I like the first, he likes the latter. I like Meg, not keen on Megan but DH says that Meg goes better with DS's name.

I don't want to discourage him as he has spent the last 23 weeks set on one name that I vetoed and refusing to budge so any movement in the name department is good.

So which do you prefer?

AND, if you like Evelyn, what other names do you like or possibly choose for your children as I love the name but feel strange using it?

Thanks!

sophierosie Fri 11-Jul-08 10:22:28

I like Evelyn - but DH didn't at all - went for Eve as her middle name.

Also liked Matilda

mishymoo Fri 11-Jul-08 10:22:45

I think Megan is lovely! Not keen on Evelyn sorry.

crokky Fri 11-Jul-08 10:24:07

Not keen on Evelyn, but like Eve.

PestoMonster Fri 11-Jul-08 10:26:13

Love Megan, like Evie, but don't like Evelyn at all.

Sorry!

Sim43 Fri 11-Jul-08 10:26:59

I like Evelyn, it not heard much now, Megan is much more popular now, perhaps too popular. I have a DS but if I had girl I liked Isabelle or Isabella. smile

FourArms Fri 11-Jul-08 10:36:39

My grandma was an Evelyn, and as my little sister was due on her birthday, they decided to call her that. However, a couple of hours later (after all the phonecalls announcing her birth!), they changed their mind, and called her Eve. Beautiful name I think. She's often called Evie by her friends. I don't think I'd call a child Evelyn, seems a bit old-fashioned, in the wrong way. Would hate to have the name shortened to Lyn/Lynn as well (which is what my grandma was actually known as I think).

Megan is nice, but sounds a bit little girly I think. But I suppose Megan while she's little, then Meg as she grows up would be OK.

I'd go for Eve, but I'm biased

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 11-Jul-08 10:42:42

hmmm. thanks all. Megan is a bit too popular for me, though I do really like Meg. It was number 17 last year in the top 100, that is quite high. Evelyn was 99. I like Evie as well.

I was all set on Evelyn, I find that I like the level of obscureness that it has without being weird, IYSWIM, but when I try to call the bump bu the name I find I can't do it.

Not sure I can imagine having a Meg. Argh! There are loads of names that I really like but are not right for me, like Matilda and Isobel.

The problem is, I like lots of names and DH hates all my names (Penelope, Cleo, Cecile, Laurel) and he likes next to none. The only other one we agree on is Eleanor but we both actively dislike Ellie and I can't imagine we could stop that one!

LuLuBai Fri 11-Jul-08 10:43:02

I really love Evelyn. It was one of DH's favourites and made the top 4 in our list (for a boy or a girl!).

I know Megan is very popular but I've always found it a little ugly (apologies to all those with the name). Also there is the Renault Megane....

Evelyn is much prettier and far, far more unusual. I've only known one and she was French and lived in New York and was oh-so-chic.

Eve, Eva and Ava are all currently soaring up the name charts.

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 11-Jul-08 10:43:47

Not thought about the Lyn shortening, FourArms, not one I would want.

EllieG Fri 11-Jul-08 10:45:22

Evelyn is gorgeous I think

PestoMonster Fri 11-Jul-08 10:48:25

What about Tegan as an alternative?

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 11-Jul-08 10:50:39

Funny you should say that pesto, it has been mentioned (before megan) but we discarded it.

I also like Jennifer and Anna and whispers Clementine...see! I like lots of names, it's DH, he is so bleeding fussy!

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 11-Jul-08 10:53:00

He has this ability to link almost any name with a bad connotation, so I will say "I like XXX name" and he will start singing a ridiculous theme tune or say a catchphrase that is so old everyone except the dinosaurs have forgotten it that in some way reminds him of the name. You know, the sort of thing, that once your child is born, all that name will be is the name of your child, nothing else but he can't see that.

I think I might have to kill him talk to him again.grin

Sim43 Fri 11-Jul-08 11:31:33

Years ago when my sister gave birth to her DS and called him Benjamin, I thought it was awful and said that's what you call pet rabbits! Inevitably it was shortened to Ben and now I can't imagine why I thought it was so bad!grin

cyteen Fri 11-Jul-08 11:36:22

I'm with LuLuBai - Evelyn is beautiful and classic and has lots of nice shortenings (Lyn aside), whereas Megan/Meg is a bit blocky and blah for me. Also my cousin called her dog Meg and ever since it's been more of a dog name for me.

Stargazer Fri 11-Jul-08 11:46:12

I like them both. My DD has a friend called Megan and I had a friend called Evelyn when I was at work. It's always tough deciding on a name. Good luck.

Sim43, my DS is a Benjamin - I love the name. Unfortunately about 3 months after my DS was born and named, somebody on a soap named their baby Ben. Now it's everywhere grin Still like it though!!

Sim43 Fri 11-Jul-08 11:54:04

Oh yeh I love it too now, but we are going back 24 years or so and it was very unusual then believe me. I would probably choose it myself now.

branflake81 Fri 11-Jul-08 12:03:55

I'm a Megan. best name in the world smile

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 11-Jul-08 12:11:29

They are both lovely names. I thin it's just the Megan bit I am unsure about and I imagine that we would always call her Meg. Though DS has a shortened name as his name......

Evelyn is classic.

*cries with confusion*

youngbutnotdumb Fri 11-Jul-08 12:17:12

I think Megan is nice not Meg though don't know why. But I like Evelyn to but I love Eve is a cute name. Random I know but didnt read the whole thread and wasnt sure if you were lookin for shortened versions.

LuLuBai Fri 11-Jul-08 12:22:52

Yup Cyteen - I agree that Megan is a dog's name to me too. My ex had a dog (a fairly ugly one) called Megan and she was always known as Smeg (apologies again to anyone with the name).

clam Fri 11-Jul-08 12:23:00

Well, I'm a bit biased, as I have a Megan (aka Meggie, Megsie, MegsieMo, Meg, Megs etc..). I hate Evelyn (old lady's name) but think Evie is lovely. I would therefore have chosen Eva as a "proper" name for the Christening, but to be known as Evie.
But, there are 4 Megans in her class!

LuLuBai Fri 11-Jul-08 12:24:41

How about Gabriel? That was another one of my DH's favourites (again for either sex - he likes those unisex names for some reason)

BasementBear Fri 11-Jul-08 12:26:39

Megan and Evelyn are both lovely, but v.popular round our way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now