Talk

Advanced search

Are my name choices too popular at the moment?

(23 Posts)
Squarah Fri 11-Jul-08 09:04:12

I love the names:-
Jessica Olivia Rose

or

Samuel Oliver R...(family name)

Surname beginning with G ending in ing.

But I have a very common first name and have therefore always been known by my maiden name or complete name. So despite all my good intentions of picking a more unsual name for precious firstborn we seem to have come up with really popular names. It's funny how that happens isn't it? smile

DH and I love them both - opinions please?!

I like the idea of a girl having 2 middle names as I wouldn't want her to feel left out when a future potential brother had 2 (DH's rule - good cricketing initials! And must have family name from his side)

BellaBear Fri 11-Jul-08 09:05:53

Initials would be JORG or SORG (nothing wrong with these, just something I always do!

If you like the names, go for it smile

sleepycat Fri 11-Jul-08 09:07:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gingerninja Fri 11-Jul-08 09:07:12

Honestly, if you like em. that's all that matters. I think they're lovely. I went to school with a few girls with the same name as me and I can't remember caring a jot either way tbh.

dreamymum Fri 11-Jul-08 09:53:27

try ocatvia instead of olivia. it is just as beautiful and far less common and the nickname isn't oliver or ollie

CoteDAzur Fri 11-Jul-08 09:56:20

Just try to avoid "BORG" initials smile

crockodilerock Fri 11-Jul-08 17:14:23

I love them - but I'm biased - I've got a a Jessica and a Samuel. They are inevitably shortened to Jess and Sam though.

NorthernLurker Fri 11-Jul-08 17:17:17

I think they are both lovely names - perfect for babies, children and adults smile

2point4kids Fri 11-Jul-08 17:29:43

Lovely, i've got an oliver and was considering sam too.

marmalady Fri 11-Jul-08 17:34:14

Lovely classic names.

Particularly love Rose.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pavlovthecat Fri 11-Jul-08 17:37:08

If you like them who cares if they are popular or not?

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 11-Jul-08 17:38:04

What everyone else said

smile

laundrylover Fri 11-Jul-08 17:50:38

Call your kids the names that you like - all your suggestions are great names IMO.

We called DD2 a very unusual name just because we liked it - there are 3 in her playgroup next year!!!!

blowsy Fri 11-Jul-08 17:54:30

Lovely! Don't know any little girls called Jessica. Do know several Sams/Samuels and Olivers.

Squarah Fri 11-Jul-08 19:28:54

Thanks for the support! Just a quirk of mine about unusual names but when it actually came to calling my baby that it didn't feel right. I'll stick to our gut feeling - the other nice thing about those names is that their are family links to both Jessica (my father's grandmother) and Samuel (DH's mother's grandfather) which I really like.

Right, last minute name wobble officially over (for now at least wink)!

chandellina Sat 12-Jul-08 11:50:37

my uncle's kids are Jessica and Sam(uel). They are great names and too classic to worry about them seeming trendy.

AbbeyA Sun 13-Jul-08 08:33:29

I think that they are all lovely names. If you like them, that is all that matters. I don't think that you can go wrong with classic names because they don't date.

shreddies Sun 13-Jul-08 08:34:35

Lovely names. I really like them both

Heifer Sun 13-Jul-08 08:38:36

I have a Jessica and although it has been in the top 10 list for years she has never had another Jessica in the same class/group etc.

Re middle names, tbh they are used so infrequently I don't really think it matters what they are as long as you like them.

Love both the names you picked...

Nancy66 Sun 13-Jul-08 12:43:58

I really like both names but Jessica is crazily popular where I live (SW London).

My cousin who teaches year 1 (also in London) has 5 in her class so they are known as JessicaC, JessicaK etc.

clairebear88 Thu 24-Jul-08 15:46:04

Hi

They are both great names and you should go with it. They are popular for a reason

nickeldime Fri 25-Jul-08 17:55:26

Jessica. Sounds more of a 'girl' name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now