Talk

Advanced search

Who has a ds called Lawrence, Duncan or Dominic?

(71 Posts)
CantSleepWontSleep Tue 08-Jul-08 09:05:41

If you do, can you tell me how old they are, whether their name gets shortened at all, and if so, what to?

Please note that I'm not interested in hearing from people who don't like these names, as dh and I are just about quite capable of picking for ourselves .

TeriHatchetJob Tue 08-Jul-08 09:07:12

A friends Dominic gets shortened to Dom.

zippitippitoes Tue 08-Jul-08 09:08:04

i have a Laurence

he is 20

he gets called loz and lozzipops

and florence (by me lol)

originaally i liked laurie but sadly it never caught on

it is very uncommon in his age group

he had no other laurences at school

zippitippitoes Tue 08-Jul-08 09:09:18

and his midle name is huw

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 08-Jul-08 09:10:03

lol at 'lozzipops' being a shortening of Laurence!

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 08-Jul-08 09:10:25

Middle name to be Elliot here .

Poshpaws Tue 08-Jul-08 09:11:18

My best friend's DS2 is called Dominic. He is 12 and he is referred to as 'Dom'.

zippitippitoes Tue 08-Jul-08 09:13:20

i never quite understand why r gets replaced with a z

like gazzer and baz

i still think laurie is nice but he set his face against that from the start

if i tried it now he would say you nob or some such

tjo he never objected to being called florence bizarrely

elliott Tue 08-Jul-08 09:15:16

I know a Lawrence who is 6 - not shortened as far as I am aware. i know a duncan who is 11 - might get called 'dunc' by his mates but I couldn't really say!

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 08-Jul-08 09:16:50

Cousin's name is Laurence and he is always called that.

psmith Tue 08-Jul-08 09:17:16

My BIL is Laurence. He is 29

He gets Loz, Larry and Lollypop. Lollypop is in part because he looks like a lollypop.

bythepowerofgreyskull Tue 08-Jul-08 09:18:45

dominic in DS1's class. (aged 4)
not shortened by his class mates at the moment

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 08-Jul-08 09:20:25

I have a Dominic, 2 in a few weeks time. Sometimes shortened to Dom, along with Dom Dom, Domboy and all manner of embarrassing pet names.

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 08-Jul-08 09:20:35

Am surprised that the Laurences are outnumbering the Lawrences at the moment!

Wags Tue 08-Jul-08 09:22:58

My DS (3yrs) is Lawrence. He is mainly called Lawrence but also Lawrie. If you ask him what his name is he will now say 'Lawrence'. His speech is delayed so he used so say 'orrie' so maybe he prefers Lawrence or maybe he is just pleased that he can now say it grin. SIL calls him Lol sometimes but mainly as he was named after Lawrence Dallaglio who is also called Lol! I think its a lovely name (of course), go for it.

Wags Tue 08-Jul-08 09:23:42

Ah, now we spelt it Lawrence as that is how Dallaglio spells it... no other reason. How sad are we?!

Cies Tue 08-Jul-08 09:27:26

I know a Laurence who's 25. His name is never shortened.

Similarly, the only Dominic I know is also my age (26), and is sometimes called Dom, but prefers the full name.

zippitippitoes Tue 08-Jul-08 09:27:41

my perception of it as a name is that it doesnt seem to have any particular connotations so quite neutral to make what you will as an individual

so not particullarly old fashioned, popualr or class ridden

Tommy Tue 08-Jul-08 09:28:49

my nephew is Laurence. He is 4 and AFIAK, his name doesn't get shortened to anything. The childminder used to call him Laurie but my sister doesn't like it.

I know a lot of Dominics (good Catholic girl here grin) and most of them get called Dom.

Duncans are a bit thin on the ground I think

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 08-Jul-08 09:28:59

That's exactly the sort of thing we're after zippi. Dd is Philippa (known as Pippa), which I think is in a similar vein.

Onestonetogo Tue 08-Jul-08 09:29:06

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 08-Jul-08 09:30:47

Yes Tommy - I think Duncan was in six hundred and something place in the boys name lists last year. I know of one MNer whose ds has it as a middle name. I also know one adult Duncan who we call Duncs.

nellyup Tue 08-Jul-08 09:32:48

I used to know a Dominic (early 30's now) who shortened it to Nick.

Years ago I think people used to shorten Laurence to Larry - I'm sure that was my Great Uncle Larry's full name.

lollyheart Tue 08-Jul-08 09:50:06

I just wanted to say i love the name laurence i have a lauren her name also gets shortened to loz grin

brimfull Tue 08-Jul-08 09:55:00

I have a brother called Laurence,he is nearly 50 and lives in Canada where he is mostly called Laurence ,occasionally Larry.

He was never called anything but Laurence by the family.

I also have a friend(in UK) ,in his 40's, called Laurence who is regularly called Loz

Neighbour is Duncan who is called Duncan .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now