Talk

Advanced search

Esther?

(20 Posts)
bumpwriggle Sun 29-Jun-08 14:20:17

We both had only 3 matching names on our lists when DH and I went through the book!

Alice
Esther
Florence

I had 35 girls names and he had 17, these were the only duplicates!

We don't know yet if the bump will be a girl or a boy.

Alice I like very much but could be a bit overused? I'd prefer something a bit different... all 3 go quite well with our surname.

What does the MN jury think?
x

nkf Sun 29-Jun-08 14:21:21

All lovely. Alice used to be very popular. Esther totally enchanting. Florence possibly a bit trying too hard but still nice.

donnie Sun 29-Jun-08 14:22:09

I quite like it but there may be problems with the varying pronunciations - you will get Ester and Esther. Personally I prefer Hester.I do know someone called Esther but she is known as Tessy.

Sidge Sun 29-Jun-08 14:23:56

Esther is lovely and much less common than Alice and Florence I think.

Esther Alice sounds lovely!

hanaflowerisnothana Sun 29-Jun-08 14:27:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wheelybug Sun 29-Jun-08 14:27:31

I really love Esther. I think its top of my list for hypothetical dd2 !

I love Florence too but its getting a bit more popular. Alice I am ambivalent about.

DH and I were a bit like that with names - although we could only agree on 1 boys name and 1 girls name which we then decided didn't go with our surname so we settled on one DH loved but which I now also love and dd suits it I think. Anyway, I digress.

donnie Sun 29-Jun-08 14:30:11

what I mean is - some people will pronounce is 'Ester' - rhyming with Leicester, and some will say 'EsTHer' - with a th sound.

Stars22 Sun 29-Jun-08 14:36:58

I really dont like the name Esther, I much prefer Alice or Florence.

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 29-Jun-08 14:45:14

I really like Esther - also Martha

wheresthehamster Sun 29-Jun-08 14:46:01

Alice my fave because I have one. We have only ever come across a handful of Alices so not too popular around here.

Don't like Florence - too Magic Roundabout

Like Esther but immediately think of Esther Rantzen

Have never heard it pronounced EsTHer though.

wonderstuff Sun 29-Jun-08 14:48:33

Esther is really lovely, as are Florence and Alice, just gorgeous

littlerach Sun 29-Jun-08 14:57:10

Esther is lovely.

Have known 2 people with the name, neither was shoertened.

hookjar Tue 11-Aug-09 01:50:23

I predict this will be popular after the film. It was on my shortlist too sad

Scorpette Wed 12-Aug-09 00:18:09

Esther is my name, so I say GO FOR IT! grin I've always loved it and it's different without being weird, classy without being pretentious or too grannyish and not too girly-girly either. Sadly, though, you do get idiots pronouncing it Es-THer and spelling it wrong (I get Easter, Esta and all sorts - have posted on Esther threads before about all this!). If you DO go for Esther, remember to teach her what my reply is to people who say 'but it can be spelt different ways': 'only if you're thick'.

Scorpette Wed 12-Aug-09 00:18:43

PS Esther Alice sounds GORGEOUS grin

hambler Wed 12-Aug-09 00:24:04

wonderful name.

Paperclipcollector Wed 12-Aug-09 14:15:26

Was my lovely Grandmothers name, and 2 of my aunts are called Esther, one shortened to Essie. I absolutely love it. If I ever had a girl - probably would have chosen that name.

mrswoolf Wed 12-Aug-09 14:17:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

skyblu Wed 12-Aug-09 14:19:39

Another vote for Esther Alice here....

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 14:23:14

oh I like it - pretty but not soft or frilly

(see also the thread currently running re Ruth)

NB Esther Alice has a phantom R - if you have a short surname Esther Florence is better IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now