Talk

Advanced search

help me convince dp that our next dd HAS to be called ida?

(91 Posts)
jekyllandhyde Mon 03-Mar-08 20:28:56

i love the name ida, and i have my heart set on it, but dp won't even entertain the idea! btw i'm not pregnant but just thinking ahead grin if you can rid your minds of blue-rinses and nora batty style tights, don't you think this is a great name???

(or is it just me?!)

constancereader Mon 03-Mar-08 20:29:53

I think it is a beautiful name.

nkf Mon 03-Mar-08 20:30:35

I kind of like it but I don't think many people will. There! Do I get a sticker for the least helpful post ever?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

constancereader Mon 03-Mar-08 20:31:17

I like Ada too.

controlfreakyagain Mon 03-Mar-08 20:31:23

mmm. quite nice...... prefer ada or ava myself. hardly woth arguing about in principle..... when the time comes tell him if you're the one giving birth then you're the one with the final say on the name..... grin

ja9 Mon 03-Mar-08 20:31:42

can't get rid of the stereotype you mention... have you seen a scottish comedy show called 'Chewin the Fat'? Watch it and you'll be crossing over to dps camp quick smart!

nooka Mon 03-Mar-08 20:34:05

Too short! It's one of my neice's middle names though (after a favourite granny).

WanderingTrolley Mon 03-Mar-08 20:34:30

Think very carefully about your surname and how well it will go with Ida. There is scope for disaster an unintentional comedy name.

Is your surname Know, for example?

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 03-Mar-08 20:35:22

well I have a few girls names that I love and DH just said NO, NO, NO, NO and errr....NO! To all of them!

constancereader Mon 03-Mar-08 20:36:35

"IDA and ADRASTEIA were nymphs of Mount Ida in Krete who were entrusted with the care of the infant god Zeus. They hid him away in the secluded Diktaion cave, nursing him with honey and the milk of the she-goat Amaltheia, while the Kouretes masked his cry with their shield-clashing dance."

There - a more positive association.

artichokes Mon 03-Mar-08 20:37:13

oooohhhh. i like it. have not thought of it before. i had a great aunt Ida.

hhmmmmm

<<artichokes adds to long list for yet-to-be-conceived next dd>>

somersetmum Mon 03-Mar-08 20:38:26

Wouldn't go for it myself but, as long as your surname isn't Down, it should be fine.

Sidge Mon 03-Mar-08 20:38:34

It's a nursing home name.

Sorry blush

vicsta Mon 03-Mar-08 20:43:05

Sorry, with DP on this one, middle name maybe

bundle Mon 03-Mar-08 20:43:42

i love Dora too

beansmum Mon 03-Mar-08 20:44:16

Ida?! noooooooooooooo

bundle Mon 03-Mar-08 20:46:51

crackers lou

what happened wrt to his illness btw?

bundle Mon 03-Mar-08 20:47:11

oops wrong thread blush

expatinscotland Mon 03-Mar-08 20:49:47

Oh god, NO.

And ja, that neighbour on Chewin' the Fat is iSa, short for Isabelle. wink

beeper Mon 03-Mar-08 20:55:47

No way, sounds like a Italian trying to speak english "I'da do ita thisaway"

Sorry hun...

jekyllandhyde Mon 03-Mar-08 20:57:48

ok cheers all for your replies. i'm getting mixed feelings here! i know i know about the old-lady nursing home association, but hey, that is there/our generations problem not my potential daughters! (not that she even exists yet or course wink)

but to all you haters - just think about it, if it wasn't conncted to old ladies! it's really nice is it not? I recently saw a thread with the virtues of my own name being extolled to no avail, but i'm going to be an old lady one day. we all will! so come on. back me up here.

and oy artichokes, hands off!

jekyllandhyde Mon 03-Mar-08 20:58:07

ok cheers all for your replies. i'm getting mixed feelings here! i know i know about the old-lady nursing home association, but hey, that is there/our generations problem not my potential daughters! (not that she even exists yet or course wink)

but to all you haters - just think about it, if it wasn't conncted to old ladies! it's really nice is it not? I recently saw a thread with the virtues of my own name being extolled to no avail, but i'm going to be an old lady one day. we all will! so come on. back me up here.

and oy artichokes, hands off!

jekyllandhyde Mon 03-Mar-08 21:01:31

sorry for the double post, got a bit carried away obviously

and i meant THEIR/our generations

i type far too quickly to keep up with my grammatical anal retentiveness

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now