Thoughts on Florence?

(36 Posts)
Sunshine1996 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:51:10

Partner has suggested and although I like it does it seem a bit of a mouthful? I do like the nickname
Flossie, not overly keen on Flo however I don’t mind it.
Middle name would be Alexandra, after my sister who passed away. Our surname is also quite long which makes me think the whole name seems too long.
Any other suggestions welcome. I love Esme but my partner doesn’t. My other daughter is called Isla, so name popularity doesn’t bother me!

OP’s posts: |
Laloo4 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:52:39

Florence isn’t a mouthful at all, it’s only two syllables and simple to say.

It’s not a favourite of mine but it’s a good name and lovely with Alexandra.

GoodbyePorpoiseSpit Thu 25-Nov-21 15:53:42

Love it! My dd has the middle name Florence and I love it

emmathedilemma Thu 25-Nov-21 15:57:53

Love it! Florence, Flo, Florrie, Flossie, Floss.....

TeeBee Thu 25-Nov-21 15:59:14

Beautiful name.

Edenember Thu 25-Nov-21 16:00:48

Lovely, and Florence and Isla are gorgeous together. Esme is also gorgeous (on my list), but obviously that’s out. Other suggestions-

Beatrice, Eliza, Imogen, Iona, Eve, Eleanor, Scarlett, Cecily, Harriet, Rose.

Edenember Thu 25-Nov-21 16:01:58

Flo is super adorable, but the nn options are quite versatile as other pps have mentioned. Also like Florrie.

Advertisement

Eastridingclub Thu 25-Nov-21 16:03:19

I like it

toastofthetown Thu 25-Nov-21 17:10:40

Florence is nice. It's so popular that I'm not sure there's much to say about it, clearly it's it generally well liked. Florence Alexandra Hashimoto (for example) doesn't sound too long to me. Florence is short, and with only one middle name I don't think it's a problem.

RuthW Thu 25-Nov-21 17:38:13

My fav name...... and the name of my adult dd.

Moonface123 Thu 25-Nov-21 17:45:01

Its a beautiful name.
l also like Rosa, Grace, Pia and Elsa.

Moonlaserbearwolf Thu 25-Nov-21 17:55:08

If you don't like all the potential nicknames for Florence I would pick another name. It's hard to pick which nickname will stick and if you find Florence a mouthful then there are many other similar names to go for.

Esme is lovely and goes well with Isla.

CatonMat Thu 25-Nov-21 17:56:24

I love it.
Feminine, just a bit unusual, strong.

Moonlaserbearwolf Thu 25-Nov-21 17:57:44

Misread the bit about your partner not liking Esme!
What about Emilia, Rose, Ivy, Isobel, Ruby, Frances or Flora?

IamnotwhouthinkIam Thu 25-Nov-21 18:29:23

Florence is beautiful name imo - if a bit trendy (since it's part of the retro/vintage name trend like Evelyn, Ivy, Ada, Nancy, Mabel etc).

Florence Alexandra sounds lovely and doesn't sound too much to me, even with a long surname, since Florence is only 2 syllables (I also don't think it needs a nn for the same reason, but if so, I much prefer Florrie to Flo/Flossie). .

Lostmyway86 Thu 25-Nov-21 18:36:03

I love it and I have one, youngest DD. I thought we might have a nickname but we've just stuck with Florence as it suits her. Some family and friends call her Florrie though which is cute too and I like.

Mynextname Thu 25-Nov-21 18:40:26

It's the most common name in my children's school. Each of my children have 2 or 3 of them in their class alone and they all have to have different nicknames or be known by their surname too.

Suzi888 Thu 25-Nov-21 18:42:20

I’m not a fan. Just brings Florence Nightingale to mind, and I hate Flo.

MsSquiz Thu 25-Nov-21 18:43:23

Florence was one of our top 2 for DD1 and is also my grandma's name, it's also in the running for DC2.
We also have Alexandra on the list too as it the female version of my granddad's name, so I love that too.

Full names aren't used very often so I don't think the length of it altogether would be an issue and there would be many shortenings between the 2 names that she could go by

MadeOfStarStuff Thu 25-Nov-21 19:18:31

Florence Alexandra is lovely

Florence looks long but is actually much less if a mouthful than many shorter names which is why I think it works well with Alexandra

Spudina Thu 25-Nov-21 19:19:16

Beautiful name.

Luredbyapomegranate Thu 25-Nov-21 20:27:48

It's nice enough. I prefer Flora personally.

Ohfurflipsake Thu 25-Nov-21 20:33:54

I love it

Imhereforthecake Thu 25-Nov-21 20:39:56

Love it!

MrsSkylerWhite Thu 25-Nov-21 20:41:31

Both pretty. Personally, I think Alexandra Florence flows better.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in