Page 2 | Claribel, your thoughts on the name?

(81 Posts)
Unknown20199 Tue 23-Nov-21 23:46:43

Hello lovelies,

I’m 18 weeks pregnant with my second, and it’s a girl. 🥰

My first daughter name is Roselina.
Now, for this one I’ve liked Claribel, what are your thoughts? Or any suggests are welcome.

OP’s posts: |
TatianaBis Wed 24-Nov-21 00:58:22

Christabel is lovely.

IamnotwhouthinkIam Wed 24-Nov-21 01:04:28

There does seem to be a strong cow association with Clarabel/Claribel - it's the first thing I thought of and I'm not sure exactly why (which must mean it's seeped into popular culture).

I love Christabel though - very elegant and reminds me of both the Coleridge poem and the Suffragette. Medieval Mirabel (meaning "wonderous/admirable") could also be an option.

urbanbuddha Wed 24-Nov-21 01:04:57

Clara is lovely, Clarabel is too much. And it's a signifier of women's subordination in the 1940s - she's a carriage not an engine.

starfishmummy Wed 24-Nov-21 01:14:27

EileenGC

I very rarely ‘see’ anything in names, even unusual ones, but Claribel screams Babybel to me. So I wouldn’t.

That's what I thought too!!

WildStallyn Wed 24-Nov-21 01:17:43

My mind went straight to Thomas, swiftly followed by babybel, and I see I'm not the only one. Sorry.

Lockdownbear Wed 24-Nov-21 01:22:23

How about Mirabel?

That sounds like a contraceptive coil.

Clarabel, Thomas is dying out so I wouldn't worry about the Clarabel / Annie thing.

Definitely spell it with an A.

Cow 🐄 not sure where people are getting that from

Advertisement

Procrastination4 Wed 24-Nov-21 01:30:06

Ok, so I haven’t read ANY of the replies, but when I saw the thread title in my “Active” list, I immediately thought of a cow-as in, the only time I’ve heard the name, it was a cow’s name! I’m now going to read other posters’ comments to see if anyone else thought the same. (Sorry, OP, I hope that I haven’t offended you. I also have to add that I don’t live in the UK and perhaps it’s a fairly common name there!)

Greygreenblue Wed 24-Nov-21 01:31:28

LittleBearPad

Clarabel follows Annie and Thomas.

My immediate thought was also Thomas the Tank Engine’s carriage.

It’s be a good name for a chicken though.

Procrastination4 Wed 24-Nov-21 01:32:06

So I’m not the only one who thought “cow”! smile

AntiHop Wed 24-Nov-21 01:34:50

Christabel is much better.

urbanbuddha Wed 24-Nov-21 02:47:19

Suggestions -

Marguerite
Francesca
Leonie
Georgina
Emerald

Edenember Wed 24-Nov-21 04:24:26

I actually like it, spelled Clarabel. But yes, cow. I don’t actually think that would bother me, cows are nice. Hasn’t seemed to put anyone off Daisy.

Mamma43435 Wed 24-Nov-21 04:49:35

My mind went straight to Thomas the tank engine too. Anyone with a Thomas train obsessed kid would be the same.

SummaLuvin Wed 24-Nov-21 09:12:13

Unnecessarily fussy to my taste, I love the name Clara instead. But given you have already used Roselina, which is nice but I also think is way too frilly, we don't have similar preferences.

for what it's worth I don't think of cows, Babybel, or anything medical - it's just a name that isn't my cup of tea.

Elisemum Wed 24-Nov-21 09:26:58

Hmm it’s not the worse and I think I would get used to it, but it sounds a bit like a medicine or some cleaning product. I’m sorry but it’s a no from me. I do know Thomas the tank but I don’t remember any claribel theresmile also I don’t know any cows called claribel eithersmile
But it does sound very medically

Trisolaris Wed 24-Nov-21 09:30:42

Clara is such a nice name by itself, why add the bell? And yes, tank engine!

Fl0w3ry Wed 24-Nov-21 11:28:04

I had an odd stuffed toy pig that wore a dress when I was a child, and that is what It was called! No offence intended, but I can’t think beyond that.

Notyouraveragecupofcoffee Wed 24-Nov-21 11:30:40

That's the first thing that came to mind, too.

Maybe Clarabelle instead, spelling wise?

Fl0w3ry Wed 24-Nov-21 11:31:26

Clarabelle the cow was a Disney character, which is where some of you might be associating cow.

Lockdownbear Wed 24-Nov-21 11:33:00

Fl0w3ry

Clarabelle the cow was a Disney character, which is where some of you might be associating cow.

Which film, or is she a sort of Daisy Duck?

Fl0w3ry Wed 24-Nov-21 11:36:02

@Lockdownbear -she was in the Minnie Mouse cartoons.

LindaBlinda Wed 24-Nov-21 11:36:27

Clarabelle cow.

Mickey's friend from the old cartoons. But is making a comeback now as had featured in the parks for a few years and I was pleased to see her on a kids jumper in H&M last week.

I'm a Disney nerd and wouldn't be choosing it as a name.

Maui69 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:46:41

Thomas the tank engine.

BiBabbles Wed 24-Nov-21 12:02:55

I like it, though the cow association is strong.

I prefer the previous suggestions of Mirabel(le), I know a teen girl with this name and she's lovely.

With the name Roselina and the previous also nice suggestion of Christabel, it reminded me of the name Chrysanthi / Chrysa.

Ellie56 Wed 24-Nov-21 12:08:05

Sorry my immediate thought was Annie & Clarabel the carriages from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in