Stuck for a girl name

(33 Posts)
Kathyg533 Sun 21-Nov-21 22:47:52

Hi all!
I’m pregnant and I’m brainstorming names . Already got a boys name sorted which I am happy with but for girls I cannot choose between the following -

-Evelina
-Valentina
-Estlin
-Jasmine

I know they are a strange combination of names ! The only reason I’ve been put off Evelina is because my other niece is named “Evie” and I feel like my sister in law might think it’s “too close?” Though I couldn’t see myself shortening it to Evie anyway.
Can I have some opinions on these names please smile ?

My first daughter’s name is Mariella, so I wanted something that will work with her name too , her name usually gets shortened to Ella haha!

OP’s posts: |
NeedsCharging Fri 26-Nov-21 19:14:53

Evangeline?

RupertOscar1999 Fri 26-Nov-21 19:11:43

The name Emmelina is nice also the nn Lina is adorable. Emmie is cute to but does sound to close to Emma.

UsernameIsHarderThanBabyName Thu 25-Nov-21 10:59:33

Love Valentina.

As a suggestion - Vivienne

Edenember Wed 24-Nov-21 13:41:38

My favourite is Evelina, but considering your daughter’s name and the possibility for Evie nickname I’d say Jasmine. Nice name that’s currently underused.

amallierory Wed 24-Nov-21 13:14:25

I think Jessamine goes best tbh! Jasmine is lovely but doesn't feel quite as elegant as Mariella.

ElfYourself21 Wed 24-Nov-21 12:01:16

The Valentina I know is shortened to Nina which is v cute.

Advertisement

ladycarlotta Wed 24-Nov-21 11:41:49

Valentina is fab.

I also really like Jessamine or Jessamy. And Jasmine is nice enough.

HerRoyalWitchyness Wed 24-Nov-21 11:35:32

From your list Valentina is my favourite.
How about
Vivienne
Emmeline
Jessamine

DoodleBelle Wed 24-Nov-21 11:24:41

Valentina by far! I went to school with a Valentina and she was always Vallie never Val or Tina.

Kathyg533 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:21:20

Ooh Emmelina, that is lovely!

Aw , Thank you , I had it in my head for years before she was born before I even met my partner. It suits her well.

Lucyinthesky07 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:02:28

How about Emmelina?

I love your daughter's name, Mariella, by the way.

Kathyg533 Wed 24-Nov-21 10:31:21

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your messages! smile
Doesn’t have to be from the list at all , just the only ones I could think of at the time really (I’ve already gone off Estlin haha) so if anyone does have any nice suggestions I am open to them

VenusClapTrap Wed 24-Nov-21 06:06:08

I love Jasmine

WeDidntMeanToGoToSea Tue 23-Nov-21 19:07:29

Just checked and it's Eveline - but it's a very sad story. She denies herself happiness to stay in a miserable life sad I would always be thinking of that (I guess not everyone has read Dubliners, but plenty will have done)

WeDidntMeanToGoToSea Tue 23-Nov-21 19:05:58

Jasmine works beautifully with Mariella (fab name btw) and is sweet, elegant and international.

Valentina is nice but a bit of a mouthful with Mariella.

Where does Estlin come from?

Isn't Evelina the protagonist of one of James Joyce's Dubliners stories - a really sad one?

Dollywilde Tue 23-Nov-21 18:36:19

Personally I wouldn’t do another ‘a’ ending - I know sibling names don’t have to go but it’s just my preference. I have a daughter with a name that ends in an ‘ee’ sound and we’ve crossed off any others with that ending from our girl list for DC2 as I can’t imagine saying ‘my daughters xx-ee and xx-ee’

I actually really like Jasmine though. Lovely plant name and I reckon it’s due a revival.

DebbieHarrysCheekbones Tue 23-Nov-21 18:32:11

Valentina is a beautiful name
Not keen in the possible diminutives though

Not so keen on the others and particularly de the hospital association

Are you set in the name for a girl coming from your list ?

Fl0w3ry Tue 23-Nov-21 18:28:00

Valentina is a beautiful name.

Luredbyapomegranate Mon 22-Nov-21 22:16:39

-Evelina - way too many Eve variations around
-Valentina - nice, but only if you don’t mind her shortening it to Val or Tina when she’s a teen..
-Estlin - this is a surname right? I quite like the sound actually. Is it a family name?
-Jasmine - nice. A rare underused flower name.

IamnotwhouthinkIam Mon 22-Nov-21 21:48:17

How about Jessamine instead of Jasmine? (it's the rarer/older form of the name Jasmine and elegant sounding imo). I think it being less commonplace and having the extra syllable ("Jeh -sah -min") works well with Mariella.

I do like Evelina and Valentina too - but I think Evelina may well get Evie, and I'm not keen on Val/Tina for Valentina. Estlin is not really my taste.

IVflytrap Mon 22-Nov-21 20:49:33

Valentina is lovely. I also like Jasmine a lot. Valentina Jasmine?

GlobetrottingPercy Mon 22-Nov-21 19:56:47

I love Valentina and think it goes best with Mariella

FlamingoDust Mon 22-Nov-21 19:55:20

Love Valentina!

mrsrobin Mon 22-Nov-21 10:09:46

I love Valentina - I hadn't thought of Val though, which is nowhere near as lovely as the whole name.
I also really like Jasmine - may be shortened to Jas (or Jazz - I have a friend named this).
I love Mariella, and Ella!

MerryChristmasToYou Mon 22-Nov-21 09:39:29

Jasmine, by far
Valentina is too long. Tina is ok but dislike Val
Evelina is a hospital, and it's another Evie name
Estlin is a surname

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in