Page 3 | Florian or Fabien?

(69 Posts)
BiscuitLover09876 Fri 12-Nov-21 19:50:29

And what do you think of when you hear them?

OP’s posts: |
InkKeepsRunning Mon 15-Nov-21 08:49:35

Florian is my absolute number one favourite name.

I also like the sound of Fabian and some of the connotations (eg Fabian society) but I think it means something like bean-eater or bean-farmer which put me off.

InkKeepsRunning Mon 15-Nov-21 08:58:09

Ps m - I’d also assume you were quite left-wing with a name like Fabian. Might not be true or matter, but similar to Keir & Aneurin my first assumption would be a political connection.

katem22 Mon 22-Nov-21 20:39:02

Florian. I love it but it wouldn't go with our surname (also has an 'or' sound and ends in 'an'!

FlamingoDust Tue 23-Nov-21 19:45:51

Love them both! I would have said Fab-e-an but like both pronunciations. I don't see either as 'wet' names and do not think they would lead to any teasing at all!

EightWheelGirl Tue 23-Nov-21 19:48:12

Both a bit poncy IMHO.

Incognito22333 Tue 23-Nov-21 19:49:24

These names were very popular in Germany/Switzerland/Austria in the 1980s. Interestingly the trend there now is for very old fashioned traditional German names or English names.

Advertisement

Ikeameatballs Tue 23-Nov-21 19:53:15

I quite like Fabian, though it wouldn’t be my first choice. I prefer Fab-e-an but perhaps that’s just because it’s the pronunciation I’m more familiar with?

I actively dislike Florian. I can’t put my finger on it. I don’t like flower names for girls or Florence/Flora either.

Anoisagusaris Tue 23-Nov-21 19:54:21

Both awful. Up there with my other least favourite boy’s name - Percy.

Mandarinsatsuma Tue 23-Nov-21 20:16:37

Anoisagusaris

Both awful. Up there with my other least favourite boy’s name - Percy.

Percy is a lot worse

Bobsyer Tue 23-Nov-21 22:36:29

Florian is my absolute favourite boys name, but I would never use it because it would need a French lilt, and I'm just not pretentious enough to be able to pull that off! Plus I live in Liverpool and a scouse Florian just doesn't compute grin.

Personally I just wouldn't use either in the UK.

PrincessesRUs Tue 23-Nov-21 22:49:40

Both awful names!

ElectraBlue Tue 23-Nov-21 23:45:09

As someone who is actually called 'Fabienne' Irl, it made me chuckle to see the male version of my name described as 'wet', 'poncy', 'frilly', 'pretentious' and (best of all) 'awful'...smile

I really like my name. Friends will often shorten it to 'Fab' which I think is pretty cool. I have had so many people, male and female, telling me that they really like my name over the years.

Frankly, I would go with the name that you like the most and not worry about what other people think.

Conniebluesky Wed 24-Nov-21 12:28:46

My son is called Fabian, so I obviously love it. My husband is German and we chose it because we wanted a European name that also worked in the UK.

My son is in his twenties and has never been bullied. The only thing that people have said to him is that they think the name is quite posh. He loves his name.

Edenember Wed 24-Nov-21 12:45:50

Like Fabian. Don’t like Florian.

urbanbuddha Wed 24-Nov-21 12:56:15

I like Fabienne for a girl but that doesn't help you.
Sorry, but I don't like either Fabian or Florian. Isn't Florian the lion in Hey Duggee with the dragon's breath? If Fabian is Fab it's okay-ish.
Finn.

LittleGwyneth Fri 26-Nov-21 11:03:48

I love Florian but I think you tend to get Florrie or Flo as a nn, whereas you get Fab for Fabian. So depends what you prefer really.

AdriannaP Fri 26-Nov-21 11:05:36

Florian is very German, but old school. Most Florians are probably over 40, don’t think it’s a popular baby name.

GiltEdges Fri 26-Nov-21 11:08:09

Love Florian. Like Fabian, but only the "Fab" pronunciation.

Laureatus Fri 03-Dec-21 23:13:12

I work with one of each! They are not British, so Fabian is pronounced fah-be-yen not fay-be-an. Very nice names.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in