Page 2 | Ariadne?

(58 Posts)
MooseMoose Wed 05-May-21 20:46:36

I've always loved this name, but not sure I'd ever use it. We have a double barrelled last name, so I worry it would sound ridiculously posh. It's also a bit of a mouthful and I can't think of any nice nicknames - not keen on Addy. Opinions? Do you know any?

OP’s posts: |
TempsPerdu Wed 05-May-21 22:51:56

Hypothetically it’s beautiful. But I think it’s one of those names that’s a lot to live up to. The only Ariadne I’ve ever met (in my year at school) was awkward, dumpy, lank-haired and spotty, and spent every lunchtime hiding in the library reading sci-fi novels. Her unusual name, and the fact that she was the opposite of what everyone imagined an Ariadne to be, unfortunately made her stand out even more.

simpleyellowshoes Wed 05-May-21 23:05:06

I have no idea how to say that name.

IamnotwhouthinkIam Wed 05-May-21 23:05:08

Don't know any personally but I really like it - it reminds me of the Agatha Christie character (Ariadne Oliver) as well as the myth. I thought it might have become more popular/well used after the film Inception, but apparently not. I suppose it isn't the easiest name to say, plus there is the arachnid thing. But she could always go by Annie if she dislikes it?

SelkieFly Wed 05-May-21 23:06:06

I prefer Arianne

Ariadne is a bit hard to say.

RoyalMush Wed 05-May-21 23:10:40

Lovely sound to it.

MooseMoose Wed 05-May-21 23:13:40

Hmmm... this is definitely confirming my own thoughts. I also love the Agatha Christie connection. Maybe I'll use it as a middle name instead. Thanks for your comments everyone.

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

MercyBodle Thu 06-May-21 07:20:24

Great name - I'd love to be called something interesting like this. I like Harrie for a nickname.
Other possible nicknames:
Ria
Ida (pronounced Eda)
Annie

A pp mentioned The Borrowers - that was Arietty.

Edenember Thu 06-May-21 07:31:37

Stunning name 😊 I do actually think it’s wearable, with the right surname. A beautiful, elegant form of an -ie sound ending, change from all the cutesy names ending in this.

Edenember Thu 06-May-21 07:32:18

I also love Arrietty. It’s on my list 😊

Lollypop4 Thu 06-May-21 07:36:19

I wouldnt know how to pronounce it

bridgetreilly Thu 06-May-21 13:09:41

Agatha
Ariadne
Arrietty

I really like all of them! Ari or Arry would be a fun nn for Ariadne, but you could even go for Aria.

Chilldonaldchill Thu 06-May-21 18:37:10

Ariadne is great.
I love the Ariadne Oliver character in Agatha Christie too.

Ellmau Thu 06-May-21 18:41:52

Very classy. Ari seems the obvious nickname.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 06-May-21 18:42:12

Reminds me of a spider.

There was a children's tv programme in the 80s with a spider called Ariadne in it.

Sorry blush

Juancornetto Thu 06-May-21 18:44:07

I love it! I'd think she'd end up with the nn Addie which is lovely too

Happycat1212 Thu 06-May-21 18:47:37

How is it pronounced?

IsFuzzyBeagMise Thu 06-May-21 18:49:37

Themostwonderfultimeoftheyear

Love it. Makes me think of Ariadne Oliver.

Yes, that's who I thought of too smile

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 06-May-21 19:07:47

It's pronounced
Arri ad nee

soundsystem Thu 06-May-21 19:26:20

Tequilamockinbird

Reminds me of a spider.

There was a children's tv programme in the 80s with a spider called Ariadne in it.

Sorry blush

Are you thinking of Arianwen, from The Snow Spider?

OP Ariadne is lovely! I know two: one is called Ari almost exclusively and the other is always called Ariadne - I've never heard anyone shorten it. No pronunciation issues as far as I know. We are in an area with a lot of less-used names though!

AbstractHeart Thu 06-May-21 19:29:04

The one I know goes by Aria, which is lovely, but the full version always seems so clunky to me

Tequilamockinbird Thu 06-May-21 19:32:52

@soundsystem no, it was a cartoon. Have just googled and it was called Creepy Crawlies. Ariadne is the spider.

HermioneWeasley Thu 06-May-21 19:33:06

Love it. If I’d had a daughter I’d have called her that

Councilworker Thu 06-May-21 19:35:21

I also think spider from the Creepy Crawlies cartoon www.toonhound.com/creepcrawl.htm

However it's a short-lived 80s cartoon so the number of people who will make the association is very small and it won't be her peers. It's a pretty name with a fascinating myth behind it. (If you do call her that please take her to Knossos when she is olde!r)

FrancesFlute Thu 06-May-21 19:36:08

I knew a lovely, lovely little girl Ariadne. It is a beautiful name and I think her nickname was Ari. However a lot of colleagues couldn't pronounce it for some reason - often said Ariagne? I love it myself (also an Agatha Christie fan wink) but I don't think DH is keen.

tuliplily Thu 06-May-21 19:38:09

I think it's beautiful!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in