Barney or Barnaby (nn Barney)?

(35 Posts)
PurpleFlower1983 Sun 28-Mar-21 18:43:44

DH and I have been round the houses for boys names and are now seriously considering Barney, I know about the dinosaur, Rubble, Gumble, dog’s name etc. but for those of you who don’t mind the name, would you for for the name Barney on its own or Barnaby (nn Barney).

We already have DD2 who is Matilda nn Tilda.

OP’s posts: |
babynamelover Sun 28-Mar-21 19:04:16

Definitely Barnaby or Barnabas 😁.

HelloDulling Sun 28-Mar-21 19:06:16

I like Barnaby. Barney is cute, but a bit teddy-bear-ish. Barnaby gives him options.

CharlotteRose90 Sun 28-Mar-21 19:08:12

My dogs called Barney so I actually love the name. Sorry but I think if you call him Barnaby he will get bullied for it. Years ago it would have been fine but not now things have changed.

Blustered Sun 28-Mar-21 19:08:39

Definitely Barnaby. Lovely name.

IamnotwhouthinkIam Sun 28-Mar-21 19:09:14

Barnaby is nice (nn Barney if you want). Barney sounds more cartoony/comical to me.

Dinosauraddict Sun 28-Mar-21 19:19:38

Barnaby is lovely!

Thefaceofboe Sun 28-Mar-21 19:22:38

We have decided on Barnaby if our baby is a boy smile

PandaFluff Sun 28-Mar-21 19:30:44

Barney

PandaFluff Sun 28-Mar-21 19:31:10

(Nn Barns)

ProperVexed Sun 28-Mar-21 19:43:56

I have a Barnaby but he has almost always been called Barney. He is now 23. Great name for a little chap, teenager and man. He has never been bullied because of his name and never had reference to a purple dinosaur. He has, however, met many dogs with the same name!
He loves his name and tells me that it is a good one for attracting young ladies!

Violetlavenders Sun 28-Mar-21 19:51:54

Barnaby!

Flymetothestars Sun 28-Mar-21 20:10:28

Barnaby! That way you get both options!
Love it and love Matilda too. You have great taste

partyatthepalace Sun 28-Mar-21 21:07:17

Barnaby or Barnabas nn Barney.

Good to have options. I like it.

Drunkenmonkey Sun 28-Mar-21 21:45:55

We had this same debate. In the end DH felt Barnaby was a bit too push and I was concerned Barney was a bit too comical/nicknamey, so we went with something else.
If I was choosing on my own I would have gone with Barnaby, I think it's a great name, but equally I think Barney would be fine too.

PurpleFlower1983 Sun 28-Mar-21 22:28:07

Thanks for the advice everyone! Food for thought! smile

Drunkenmonkey Sun 28-Mar-21 22:41:53

Posh not push!

IllNeverLetGoJack Sun 28-Mar-21 22:51:42

I love Barnaby! I know one who is about 5yo and it's very cute. Barney is better as a shortening imo.

PurpleFlower1983 Mon 29-Mar-21 07:14:39

Drunkenmonkey

We had this same debate. In the end DH felt Barnaby was a bit too push and I was concerned Barney was a bit too comical/nicknamey, so we went with something else.
If I was choosing on my own I would have gone with Barnaby, I think it's a great name, but equally I think Barney would be fine too.

We’re slightly worried about this too, DH sounds posh but in reality is a former actor who was taught it, I’m Northern so not posh at all! grin

PurpleFlower1983 Mon 29-Mar-21 07:15:40

We feel like it’s a brave choice but not too out there just yet.

AlwaysLatte Mon 29-Mar-21 07:19:49

Barnaby is lovely. I'm not sure why a PP said he would get teased though.

Drunkenmonkey Mon 29-Mar-21 07:36:01

@PurpleFlower1983 my DH is Irish and he felt that Barnaby would sound ridiculous over there and all his family would laugh at it, I think maybe it comes across as quite posh English.
I think it's fine over here though, but possibly depends where he would go to school.
I would be a bit concerned about sending a Barnaby to an inner city state school, but a fairly middle class area would be fine. Just my opinion of course. It's a lovely name.

PurpleFlower1983 Mon 29-Mar-21 07:45:50

Drunkenmonkey

*@PurpleFlower1983* my DH is Irish and he felt that Barnaby would sound ridiculous over there and all his family would laugh at it, I think maybe it comes across as quite posh English.
I think it's fine over here though, but possibly depends where he would go to school.
I would be a bit concerned about sending a Barnaby to an inner city state school, but a fairly middle class area would be fine. Just my opinion of course. It's a lovely name.

We live in the North in a town with a mixed catchment right now - middle/working class so would probably get away with it just about but definitely not posh!

skeggycaggy Mon 29-Mar-21 07:51:38

Barnaby is great.

I can’t imagine someone being bullied as posh for being called Barney. My kids are at school with such a wide variety of names, not much stands out these days!

Chilldonaldchill Mon 29-Mar-21 09:12:44

Barnaby.
I know a couple, neither of them posh, just standard middle class. Both go by Barney day to day.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in