Mumsnet's most loved baby names

(230 Posts)
SmeleanorSmellstrop Wed 10-Mar-21 03:01:33

I feel like there are a bunch of names that Mumsnet posters unanimously adore. I have never seen Josephine or Rosa get a negative comment, for example. As for boy names, I think Edward seems really well-loved. What do you think?

OP’s posts: |
Youngatheart00 Wed 10-Mar-21 03:21:36

Isla, Orla, Ava, Eva, Ella

All so samey

Itsjustaride8w737 Wed 10-Mar-21 06:28:37

Clementine, i think it's too long, sounds pretentious and reminds me of the orange. Mumsnet seems to bloody love it 😂

daisypond Wed 10-Mar-21 07:13:07

Youngatheart00

All so samey

Those names aren’t liked on Mumsnet, though.

MondeoFan Wed 10-Mar-21 07:19:04

Sophia, Grace, Rose,

As a result there will be masses of these names in schools

23PissOffAvenueWF Wed 10-Mar-21 07:20:29

Youngatheart00

All so samey

Mumsnet doesn’t rate those names at all, though.

23PissOffAvenueWF Wed 10-Mar-21 07:20:54

Eleanor.

Fab90 Wed 10-Mar-21 07:41:28

Maeve

LApprentiSorcier Wed 10-Mar-21 07:43:55

Balonz grin

WitchWife Wed 10-Mar-21 07:44:05

Seren. I actually laughed when I heard a family friend had named their baby Seren recently as I thought it actually only existed on MN.

WitchWife Wed 10-Mar-21 07:45:25

Fab90

Maeve

used to have a v good friend Maeve and she never got any compliments about her name and didn’t like it at all, plus people can’t spell it.

Thefirsttime Wed 10-Mar-21 07:45:33

Ottilie.
Suggested on almost every baby name thread. I think it’s a horrible name.

And @Itsjustaride8w737 beat me to it- clementine.

For boys it’s Christopher nn Kit suggested on almost every boy name thread.

I think there’s a fairly high probability that none of the posters suggesting the above names have actually used them on their own children.

EdgeOfACoin Wed 10-Mar-21 09:00:18

Wren and Seren.

I don't know a single Wren, but it is constantly suggested on here.

FlatEarthling Wed 10-Mar-21 09:17:03

I know a Wren in real life. Admittedly it's my friends new kitchen.
( she doesn't rate the company, no idea if she'd name her child Wren, she certainly wouldn't now)

Ithinkhedidit Wed 10-Mar-21 09:34:30

Anna and Thomas. Often described as timeless classics. I find them so incredibly dull. And I know loads of them yet I've read several people describe them as "under used". I also agree with the Christopher nn Kit - I've yet to meet a baby Christopher though!

DotDotDotDotDot Wed 10-Mar-21 09:35:12

Elizabeth

JemimaTiggywinkle Wed 10-Mar-21 09:37:16

Tristan, Quentin, Rupert, “Reuben (nn Roo)”

JeanClaudeVanDammit Wed 10-Mar-21 09:38:41

Seren is really popular in Wales so no, it doesn’t just exist on mumsnet, that’s a crap example.

Margot is the one I see on here a lot that I’ve never encountered on a child in real life.

raskolnikova Wed 10-Mar-21 09:40:33

Greek names like Ptolemy and Phaedra seem to come up in suggestions more often than one might expect.

TeenyTinyDustinHoffman Wed 10-Mar-21 09:42:34

Ottillie, Clementine, Sylvie.

Reuben, Kit, Raphael.

Alarae Wed 10-Mar-21 09:44:55

Saskia is one I see batted around.

Murtaghjames Wed 10-Mar-21 09:46:22

Alice

DragonPoop Wed 10-Mar-21 09:48:44

I second ‘Ottilie’ I think it’s the most hideous name I’ve ever heard but it always gets so much love on mumsnet.

Spied Wed 10-Mar-21 09:49:09

Margot
Alice
Anna
Rowan
Willow

Hugo
Sebastian
Edward
Roary
Toby

SmeleanorSmellstrop Wed 10-Mar-21 09:50:10

Christopher nn Kit! Yes! I've not met a baby Christopher, or even a child Christopher. Same about Thomas. MN adores it but not met any since I was a child. Tristan is another one I only hear on MN and have never met.

I am not a fan of Ottilie either, and am always surprised when MNers suggest it with such enthusiasm as to me it seems to break a lot of MN rules (eg it's not a classic and is never pronounced how it should be if you're going to stick to the original European pronunciation which is sort of like - Ott-eel-yuh. I personally don't agree that it's wrong to anglicise names, but MNers often kick off about anyone who wants to pronounce Xavier or Genevieve in the normal British way, so why is it okay to pronounce Ottilie as Otterly?)

Clementine seems OTT to me too, although I do love the sound, to me it seems just too MUCH to be usable, but yeah I agree this is another which everyone loves.

I didn't used to like Anna, Alice or Lucy as I felt they were dated and dull but MNers love them so much that they've really grown on me, Lucy in particular! But I was very surprised initially to see people raving about how classic and pretty they were, as i'd never really thought of them like that. The only people I know with any of these 3 names are people I went to school with, but no babies.

I do know a little Margot and Maeve though!

Recently Gabriel seems to be being suggested a lot, but it seems to be a very recent favourite.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in