Talk

Advanced search

Is Rosa becoming too popular?

(37 Posts)
Penny2020 Mon 15-Feb-21 16:50:43

I decided on the name Rosa years before I even got pregnant and was so excited to have a beautiful ‘rare’ name in the Uk. I just came on this site and seems people are saying Rosa is now becoming a common name and I’m distraught! I’m desperate to avoid her having to be Rosa X because there are so many others in her class.
Does anyone know any new baby Rosas out there, am I accidentally choosing the next Sophia?

OP’s posts: |
IamnotwhouthinkIam Mon 15-Feb-21 17:05:40

While it is definitely rapidly rising in popularity, I'd be surprised if it ever became super common (eg. Top 20). Rose is generally considered the more "classic/traditional" version in the UK, so will likely always be more popular (along with Rosie as a given name because of the Brit love of diminutives).

Quercus3 Mon 15-Feb-21 17:09:55

I don't know a single little Rosa. I've noticed a rise in the popularity of Rosie, and I know a 4 year old Rose. I'm in the East Midlands.

Nell96 Mon 15-Feb-21 17:11:52

I know two born in the past 18 months, both in London. But I live in the north west and don't know any up here. A lot of the time name popularity is a regional thing. It's a lovely name.

Reinventinganna Mon 15-Feb-21 17:15:27

I don’t know any. It’s gorgeous. Congratulations btw.

Mine have really common names (like Katie and Edward) and were the only ones in their classes with those names. There was lots of Molly X and Molly Y, Callum X and Callum Y etc. You can never tell so don’t let it put you off.

Arrierttyclock Mon 15-Feb-21 17:18:26

I know one baby Rosa whose in the north and one Spanish adult Rosa but that's it

Smartiepants79 Mon 15-Feb-21 17:25:53

I don’t know any at all.
Not within my children’s schools or the one a I work in.
If you love it just use it. I simply don’t understand the angst about popular names.
I unwittingly chose a top 5 name for my DD. She’s still the only one in her year group of 120 kids.
On the other hand there are 4 little girls all in her year with the same (much less ‘popular’) name.
Just name your daughter your favourite name.

ILoveStickers Mon 15-Feb-21 17:26:12

Rosa is #154, or about 0.05% of babies. (1 in every 2000)

Rose is #56, or about 0.14% of babies. (1.4 in a thousand)

Rosie is #14, or about 0.3% of babies. (3 in a thousand)

All are on the up in the last decade, but it's unlikely there would be more than one in a class.

People on here often lament Rose as a MIDDLE name, as it's very popular as a middle name at the moment. No one complains about it as a first name much, in my experience.

Moonface123 Mon 15-Feb-21 17:26:28

It's a beautiful name,.but l personally don't know anyone called Rosa.

Penny2020 Mon 15-Feb-21 17:31:19

This is so helpful everyone and you’re so right that I probably just need to relax and choose a name I love. Hormones already turning me in to a neurotic mother!
This has been very reassuring (and so helpful, considering I only posted a less than an hour ago!!!). Thank you

OP’s posts: |
ButtonMoonPie Mon 15-Feb-21 17:33:04

I only know one and she is 6. Lovely name

wanderedlonelyasacloud Mon 15-Feb-21 17:33:34

I've never met a Rosa of any age

I know multiple Rosie's and Rosemary's, one Rose and one Rosanna but not a Rosa.

Whatsyourflava Mon 15-Feb-21 17:33:37

I don't know any
Never seen it been described as overly popular on mumsnet

christinarossetti19 Mon 15-Feb-21 17:36:10

Rosa is one of those beautiful, classic, easy-to-spell-and-pronounce names that everyone's heard of but have only ever met a few people with.

I agree that you never can tell. One of my dc has a 'popular' name - he's was the only child in his primary school and is the only one in his secondary school.

Use it if you love it.

RuthW Mon 15-Feb-21 17:37:38

I have only met on Rosa in my life. She would be about 45 now.

babynamelover Mon 15-Feb-21 18:07:17

I'm in NZ I've known one my whole life who will be in her thirties now and one Rosalie. Lots of Roses and Rosemary's though.

JustCallMeBrittany Mon 15-Feb-21 18:10:59

Roise yes, (pronounced Rocha), it has become super popular (amongst folk likely to call their daughters an Irish name), or Rose as a middle name, but I don't know a single Rosa. Beautiful too.
Love all the Rose names actually 😍

Serin Mon 15-Feb-21 20:02:26

My aunt is Rosa Mystica (very Catholic!), she is in her 80's.

poblwcymru Mon 15-Feb-21 20:06:40

There is a Rosie, Rosa and Rosanna at my daughters nursery (different rooms) - rose names definitely on the up

ItsTheDramaMickILoveIt Tue 16-Feb-21 20:43:58

I know of one, she’s 34. I’ve heard of lots of girls now having Rose as a middle name and a couple of Rosies but no Rosas.

adrianmolesmole Tue 16-Feb-21 21:30:01

I love Rosa and especially Rosalie, but I've never known anyone of either of those names. If you love a name go for it and sod everyone else.

Timpeall Tue 16-Feb-21 21:34:40

It's always a gamble if choosing a less popular name is important to you. It might become hugely popular or it might just reach the upper end of the top 100 and then drop out again. No point worrying too much about it. The main thing is you choose a name you love.

names.darkgreener.com/#rosa

Timpeall Tue 16-Feb-21 21:38:16

In American TV and films the Hispanic maids/housekeepers are very often called Rosa.

NewScone Tue 16-Feb-21 21:38:41

If you love it go for it.

Timpeall Tue 16-Feb-21 21:39:05

Serin

My aunt is Rosa Mystica (very Catholic!), she is in her 80's.

Mystica is fantastic! grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in