Talk

Advanced search

"Bea" as a standalone middle

(23 Posts)
Namechange4242 Sat 13-Feb-21 20:35:47

I am generally against using a nn as a standalone name, but the first name and last name are each 3 syllables. I like Beatrice and it is a family name, so I was hoping for a one syllable middle as it's already a bit of a mouthful....

What do you think?

OP’s posts: |
IamnotwhouthinkIam Sat 13-Feb-21 20:37:08

As a middle it's fine imo. Bea is pretty, it's only a bit insubstantial if you were using it as a first name.

thistimelastweek Sat 13-Feb-21 20:37:50

Go for it.

Edenember Sat 13-Feb-21 21:21:43

Gorgeous and makes a change from the usual suspects grace, Rose etc.

partyatthepalace Sat 13-Feb-21 22:21:32

It’s pretty but I think it would make more sense to spell it Bee after the 🐝 rather than use a nn as a full name

AntiHop Sat 13-Feb-21 22:23:12

No I think that's silly. Use the whole name. It is ok if it's long.

PetraRabbit Sat 13-Feb-21 22:24:43

Use the name you love, and it's just a middle name. But personally I think abbreviated middle names are a bit strange. Somehow a middle name isn't really the place for a casual, friendly, nicknamey feel. For me their function is to add elegance to a name, to honour loved ones (with their actual name not one that's enough like it that "that'll do") and of course to help identify someone who's got a common name- Isabella Jones type of name in this generation. I'd strongly suggest using Beatrice. It fulfills all of the above and if it's a mouthful, well, better than Milly Mae.

Rhynswynd Sat 13-Feb-21 22:26:11

My dd has a shortened name as her middle name. Go for it if you like it.

My dd has her grandads name for middle name and my stepmum thought I should feminise it by using different spelling. But then it’s not grandads name so I kept it. I like it.

danascully96 Sat 13-Feb-21 22:34:11

Bea is fine a mm... but I prefer it as a nickname since it’s twee to me. I love the name Bianca, nn Bea, but there’s a lot of negative associations for those who watch EastEnders apparently ☹️

Lemonsyellow Sat 13-Feb-21 22:36:54

No. Use the full name. Each name having three syllables is fine - fabulous and with some weight.. One-syllable middle names are bland.

Sandsnake Sat 13-Feb-21 22:48:09

I think it’s quite pretty but sandwiched between two long names may just sound like an initial, like she’s an author or something. For example - Eleanor B Robinson. Hope you get what I mean!

Tavannach Sat 13-Feb-21 23:01:24

Doesn't work as a middle name.

"What does 'B' stand for?"
"Bea."

showmethegin Sat 13-Feb-21 23:07:28

I like it, it's different. If I hear one more Rae/Grace/Rose as a middle name I will scream

WonkyCactus Sat 13-Feb-21 23:09:34

I think it's a lovely middle name.

LittleTiger007 Sat 13-Feb-21 23:45:03

Tavannach

Doesn't work as a middle name.

"What does 'B' stand for?"
"Bea."

I agree with this. It’s like Homer J. Simpson ... the J is for Jay.

As long as you’ve thought that through and are happy with it then go for it.

stayathomegardener Sat 13-Feb-21 23:53:36

Dd is "first name B surname" works for her and sounds pretty when used with her first name.
Some teachers had a hard time accepting it was just B but nothing major.

IdesMarchof Sat 13-Feb-21 23:56:12

No

Timpeall Sun 14-Feb-21 04:35:08

I like middle names that have significance rather than being random pretty names (Grace, May, Rose etc. etc.) that 'fit'.

If Bea has significance then it's perfect.

TheDuchessOfAquitaine Sun 14-Feb-21 06:50:43

We went with full version for the middle name because although I loved (and preferred!) the Bea shortening, it was after a relative so felt it was just a nicer acknowledgement. We use middles names so rarely but when we do, DD is usually called Duchess Bea...which of course is nicknamed into bumble bee which she loves.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Sun 14-Feb-21 06:59:49

This thread has been educational... I have always read Bea as Bee-uh.

Namechange4242 Sun 14-Feb-21 15:20:17

Thanks all for the feedback -- glad most people don't think it's horrid but will definitely have to have a think about whether we are happy with the possible Bea/B. confusion as I hadn't really considered that...hmm...

OP’s posts: |
Chilldonaldchill Sun 14-Feb-21 15:21:38

I prefer longer names.
So Lucinda Beatrice Robinson sounds way better than Lucinda Bea Robinson to me.
Likewise Eleanor Beatrice McDonald is way nicer than Eleanor Bea McDonald.
So I wouldn't worry about thinking that things sound like a mouthful!

halcyondays Sun 14-Feb-21 15:24:46

No, use the full name. Bea sounds strange as a middle name and the 3 syllables thing is fine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in