Talk

Advanced search

Rhyming nickname with husband's name?

(16 Posts)
lls1990 Sun 13-Sep-20 20:47:31

Some of you may have seen my posts before. We're having a boy and we're really, really struggling with names. We have finally found a name we both like, Harrison, but it comes with its own problem...

My husband is called Gary. I've taught a few Harrisons and all but one have only been referred to as Harrison but one had been nicknamed Harri.

We would use his full name and so would family but I'm aware at school it may get shortened. We're worried it'll just sound ridiculous potentially having a Gary and Harri. Is it likely to be shortened to Harri or do you think we could preempt it by introducing an alternative nickname or just reminding people to use his full name? If it does become Harri will that be a problem? It's so frustrating as it's the only name we agree on so I'm finding it hard to just let go that easily.

OP’s posts: |
TigerDroveAgain Sun 13-Sep-20 20:48:57

Why would having Harry and Garry matter?

Anotheronetwo Sun 13-Sep-20 20:49:10

I don't think that's a problem. Harrison is a great name and, as you say, isn't usually shortened.

ZoyaTheDestroyer Sun 13-Sep-20 20:49:25

I’ve taught about half a dozen Harrisons in secondary school and none of them have used anything other than Harrison. I don’t think you need to worry.

lls1990 Sun 13-Sep-20 20:52:07

Thank you, that's really good to know. I did wonder if we were just over thinking it 😊

OP’s posts: |
ILoveStickers Mon 14-Sep-20 06:30:09

Totally fine. You'll be calling him Harrison.

If the kids at school call him Harri, that's fine too - they won't know his dad's name!

bluemoon2468 Mon 14-Sep-20 06:33:32

I don't think it's a problem at all! I know a couple of married couples whose names rhyme - that's worse because people say their names together as a pair all the time! Only rarely will people say your husband and son's names together, and you aren't even planning on calling him Harry yourselves. If it really bothers you, you could go for the nickname Sonny - I really like that for names ending 'son'.

Pollyputthepizzaon Mon 14-Sep-20 06:47:01

The only Harrisons I know are called Harrison not harri

MikeUniformMike Tue 15-Sep-20 19:03:56

Seeing as you like Harrison and he is Gary's son, how about Garrison?

MikeUniformMike Tue 15-Sep-20 19:04:55

You might hear that one a few times.

anorangeaday Tue 15-Sep-20 19:06:01

I think it’s fine

user1493494961 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:25:22

I know one, his mates call him Hazza!

IVflytrap Wed 16-Sep-20 15:31:26

Could you establish shortening it to Harris, instead of Harry?

AdaColeman Wed 16-Sep-20 15:35:05

I know a Harrison, always called Sonny.

micc Wed 16-Sep-20 15:55:30

Totally fine dont worry about it. I went to school with a Harrison and thinking about it no one ever called him Harri 🤔.. maybe if you never shorten it no one else will.

theresaplaceforus Wed 16-Sep-20 16:04:23

Like others have said, the Harrison’s I know are always known by the full name and not shorted to Harry. Even if it was, I don’t think it would matter and if it did to you, when writing things like Christmas cards just always use his full name.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in