Lyla

(23 Posts)
Maybebaby2 Sat 01-Aug-20 20:52:41

Baby girl due in a few weeks. We had settled on a name but have changed our minds. Hadn't really any others to choose from but....
Just watching Umbrella Academy and there is a character called Lila, reminded me of a name list I had from years ago and Lyla was on it. It's an Oasis song (not a massive Oasis fan but thats where I first heard it!) I'm sat here thinking it's actually such a lovely sounding name!
So what are your opinions on Lyla?

OP’s posts: |
123Dancewithme Sat 01-Aug-20 20:56:19

I prefer the Lila spelling.

TheParrotsBeak Sat 01-Aug-20 20:58:58

I too prefer Lila to Lyla. It's a pretty name. Isn't Kate Moss' daughter called Lila?

MikeUniformMike Sat 01-Aug-20 21:13:35

Lila is better but not my taste. Will blend in with all the Lilys and Lolas and Lyras and Lunas and ...

paperandfireworks Sat 01-Aug-20 21:15:31

Agree that the Lila spelling is lovely

Onceuponatimethen Sat 01-Aug-20 21:17:12

Love this name - my favourite spelling is the Lilah spellling

daisypond Sat 01-Aug-20 21:36:44

I’m not keen. It’s bland to me. Merges with ever other Lola, Lyra, Lara, Lulu etc.

MummaSt Sat 01-Aug-20 21:37:16

Love it, will be a top contender if I have a girl in the future. My favourite spelling is Lilah.

WisestIsShe Sat 01-Aug-20 21:38:21

I know a three year old Lyla and she's awesome, so it's a definite yes from me.

Orangedaisy Sat 01-Aug-20 21:38:57

We’ve got one, spelled Lyla. Love it! Obviously. Lots of people have opinions on it but works for us!

SomeWateryTart Sat 01-Aug-20 21:39:58

I know a baby Delilah, who gets Lilah. I like it a lot! There are a few names like this which are popular at the moment, as mentioned^^. Lily, Lola, Lyra etc. But not a big deal, unless you care about that.

What was the other name, just out of interest and do you know what put you off?

IKEA888 Sat 01-Aug-20 21:41:09

It depends on the pronunciation for me.
Lila I would say like Lilly but instead of the ie sound in would say a as in Apple?
is that how it's pronounced

RunningFromInsanity Sat 01-Aug-20 21:42:26

Lyla is my all time favourite name and when I have a girl I’ll finally be able to use it!

Irre247 Sat 01-Aug-20 21:46:27

I like Lyla. Yes there are Lolas and Aylas and Lilys but I think it’s lovely.

user1493494961 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:41:40

Agree with pp, every other little girl seems to have a Lily, Lyra, Lola type name. It's very bland and just merges with all the others.

MikeUniformMike Sun 02-Aug-20 12:07:00

Lyla, Lila, Isla, Delilah (ugh), ....

Yellowmoonrising Sun 02-Aug-20 12:38:59

I actually dislike the Lila spelling as it looks incomplete and the pronunciation isn't clear. I read it in my head as "lee-la". I do like Lyla and Lilah though.

Maybebaby2 Sun 02-Aug-20 22:45:19

Hi and thanks for the responses. I'm still loving this name, definitely a top contender but I do change my mind a lot!

Working in a school I have never met a Lyla or Lila and I dont know too many Lily's. Currently I can only think of 1 Lily and 1 Delilah, 2 Islas, 1 Lola, 1 Lara and 0 Lyra's or Lulu's so I'm not feeling the L names are as prevalent as some. I also think Lyla has an interesting sound to it and isn't bland like some names.

I prefer the Lyla version because it's more obvious how to pronounce it and I think it looks nicer too.

Oh an the name we had previously was Zoe but I've been put off because it's a bit 'meh' and since choosing it all I've seen is the name Zoe Zoe Zoe everywhere I look and it's all women in their 30s/40s. I think we settled for it and never really loved it, so no surprise we've changed our minds.

Only issue I'm having at the moment with Lyla is that our last name starts with L and its 3 syllables so I'm not sure how I feel about the alliteration and the sing songy sounds with 5 syllables. Definitely would need a middle name to break it up!

OP’s posts: |
Marahute Mon 03-Aug-20 07:52:02

Hate the Lyla spelling, but Lila is lovely.

SomeWateryTart Mon 03-Aug-20 08:36:18

Lyla Lammington (for example), sounds lovely to me! I love alliterative names though, so maybe I'm not the best person to advise blush.

DH vetoed all my alternative name choices for both dcs, so clearly, some people strongly dislike alliteration. I love it.

Marlena1 Mon 03-Aug-20 20:33:10

I think it's lovely (also love Lara and Leah)

123Dancewithme Mon 03-Aug-20 21:28:11

Zoe is much nicer!

PoodleMoth Tue 04-Aug-20 20:27:31

Lyla is lovely, also like Zoe

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in