Talk

Advanced search

Middle name for second son conundrum

(22 Posts)
Monkeyseesmonkeydoesnt Tue 30-Jun-20 09:38:24

Our first son was given his dads first name as his middle name. I'm now expecting a second boy and wondering what middle name to give. Would it be odd to give the same middle name?

OP’s posts: |
Finfintytint Tue 30-Jun-20 09:40:30

Has dad got a middle name you could use?

ginginchinchin Tue 30-Jun-20 09:42:30

For a minute there I thought your son was going to be called Conundrum grin

Playdoughcaterpillar Tue 30-Jun-20 09:43:56

Why not his grandfather's name? I would prefer that to same middle name.

Tavannach Tue 30-Jun-20 09:45:24

Yes, it would be odd. Different person different name.

Monkeyseesmonkeydoesnt Tue 30-Jun-20 09:48:36

Fathers middle name is grandad name so would be leaning to 'favouring' that side of the family

Monkeyseesmonkeydoesnt Tue 30-Jun-20 09:49:19

But could use my side father/ grandfather name I guess

Bakeachocolatecaketoday Tue 30-Jun-20 09:50:56

Ours both have the same middle name. People do occasionally think its odd, but it's a family name.

30not13 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:52:47

I quite like Conundrum lol

TheVanguardSix Tue 30-Jun-20 09:53:09

No don't give them the same middle name. That's just too Biblical... Too much 'Your Father's Son' going on for me. It's nice to pay homage to dad, but no need to make a shrine out of your DH's name. That's a bit 'too too'. It reminds me of when we viewed our house years ago and there was this enormous, floor to ceiling portrait of the dad hanging on the kitchen wall. DH and I were like, "Really? Anyone for Weetabix next to the Almighty Dad Shrine?"

MikeUniformMike Tue 30-Jun-20 10:02:42

Why don't you use the father's name as a first name and DD1's as a middle name, because the number of names you could choose from is so limited.

Alternatively, could you get a boy's name from your name? Something like Nicholas if you're a Nicola, or Samuel if you're Samantha? Maybe you could rearrange the letters of your name or the father's name.

passthemustard Tue 30-Jun-20 10:04:09

My ex and his brother have the same middle name. I think it's fine. It's not like middle names are a massive part of ones life.

Whatsyourflava Tue 30-Jun-20 10:07:18

Totally agree @TheVanguardSix !! Spot on

SleepingStandingUp Tue 30-Jun-20 11:27:58

I'd have one from your side to balance it out, so your dad first name / second name / grandads name

Monkeyseesmonkeydoesnt Tue 30-Jun-20 11:53:04

Thanks everyone for the ideas, my dad's middle name is also late grandads first name so this could work. We were very close so might be a nice idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner!

hauntedvagina Tue 30-Jun-20 11:55:23

Is there a masculine version of your name you could use? Keep it fair...

GemmeFatale Tue 30-Jun-20 16:27:31

Tradition in my family is to use the mother’s maiden name (or a variant of it) as the name of the first born son. I didn’t do that but used that for his middle name.

BIWI Tue 30-Jun-20 16:30:10

Son one gets your dad's name as his middle name, Son two gets your husband's dad's name as his middle name - surely? That makes it 'fair'!

SumAndSubstance Tue 30-Jun-20 16:38:31

Son 1 has his own dad’s name as a middle name, not the OP’s dad’s.

BIWI Tue 30-Jun-20 16:43:13

Yes I know - realised after I'd posted blush

FizzyGreenWater Tue 30-Jun-20 17:03:49

Something on your side surely! Yes to grandad's name - really not keen on the actual parent's name being used for the child, so I think your second son is getting the better deal.

Or, failing that, Conundrum is fine.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 30-Jun-20 18:02:35

Is there a masculine name for your nAme. Eg if your name is Stephanie how about Steven or Stefan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »