Talk

Advanced search

Leo and Raphael brother names

(52 Posts)
Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 09:52:52

I'm pregnant with a second boy and really like the name Raphael, but we already have a son called Leo. Do people think the ninja turtles association is a problem?

My husband thinks not, says by the time the boys are at school (Leo is 2) people will have forgotten about this show. But it seems to me that the ninja turtles are still pretty popular.

OP’s posts: |
Tlollj Mon 29-Jun-20 09:54:27

I like both of those names.
As long as your eldest isn’t called Leonardo you should ok.

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 09:55:13

Thanks, the oldest's full name is Leon but we call him Leo for short.

DrDetriment Mon 29-Jun-20 09:55:58

Nice names but yes I think turtles I'm afraid. What about Ranulph or Ralph rather than Raphael (which I always think of as an Italian name anyway - do you have Italian heritage?).

AliasGrape Mon 29-Jun-20 09:56:59

I’ll be honest it was the first thing that came to mind seeing your thread title, but I’m not sure how much that matters. It might cross peoples’ minds but once they know your boys it will be forgotten.

Bmidreams Mon 29-Jun-20 09:58:28

It was my immediate thought.

nettytree Mon 29-Jun-20 10:04:58

Yep. Definitely turtles.

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 10:05:07

Thanks for your replies. Seems the ninja turtles association is strong but I'm wondering how much it matters. My husband is called Edward and has an older brother called Thomas, like the characters in Thomas the Tank Engine, but I don't think about that!

SnowdropFox Mon 29-Jun-20 10:12:53

Edward and Thomas are pretty common names though. Especially when compared to Raphael. Saying that, I'd go for it. As you said its Leon not Leonardo.

MashedSpud Mon 29-Jun-20 10:18:08

Have two more and call them Donatello and Michelangelo!
🍕🐢🐢🐢🐢

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 10:19:13

MashedSpud

Have two more and call them Donatello and Michelangelo!
🍕🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hahahaha!

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 10:21:14

SnowdropFox

Edward and Thomas are pretty common names though. Especially when compared to Raphael. Saying that, I'd go for it. As you said its Leon not Leonardo.

Good point.

Cheerfullygo4 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:23:02

How about Gabriel -similar sound?

LilacSloth Mon 29-Jun-20 10:24:56

I didn't immediately make the 🐢 connection. They are both lovely names. I know a Raphael (goes by Raphy or Raph). If you have a Leo and Raphy I'm not sure anyone would think of 🐢?

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 10:30:00

Cheerfullygo4

How about Gabriel -similar sound?

I like Gabriel too but my good friend already has a son called Gabriel

Iwalkinmyclothing Mon 29-Jun-20 10:31:20

It was an instant association for me but the names are absolutely lovely and I don't think it matters.

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 10:32:04

LilacSloth

I didn't immediately make the 🐢 connection. They are both lovely names. I know a Raphael (goes by Raphy or Raph). If you have a Leo and Raphy I'm not sure anyone would think of 🐢?

Hmmm that's an interesting point. I really like the diminutives Raphy and Raph for Raphael, we would use them rather than the full name if we do call him Raphael.

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jun-20 10:33:17

The turtles have been popular since the 1980s. Of course people won't forget about them in the next couple of years!

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jun-20 10:35:11

My Raphael is called Raph by his friends. We call him Raffles, Riff Raff, Roo, Rapha and Raphael. He prefers his full name tbh.

TheFlis12345 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:36:53

Before I even opened the thread, I thought turtles, sorry.

Treacletoots Mon 29-Jun-20 10:38:27

Gorgeous names. Love them OP. I did think of the turtles but I wouldn't really care. Go for it

Onekidnoclue Mon 29-Jun-20 10:40:41

My first thought was turtles I’m afraid. X

chunkyrun Mon 29-Jun-20 10:42:04

Yes that was my original thought but I love tmnt and the names are great. Also biased as I have a Leo

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 10:47:25

ShowOfHands

The turtles have been popular since the 1980s. Of course people won't forget about them in the next couple of years!

Do you happen to know whether the turtles still popular with kids today?

Amzka Mon 29-Jun-20 10:48:41

ShowOfHands

My Raphael is called Raph by his friends. We call him Raffles, Riff Raff, Roo, Rapha and Raphael. He prefers his full name tbh.

These are all lovely diminutives

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »