Talk

Advanced search

Tadhg

(55 Posts)
Shanables25 Sat 23-May-20 16:27:04

Hi there! We are expecting our fourth baby, our third boy and am wondering about the name Tadhg. I really love it but recently heard that it can be used with a negative connotation. I have never heard it used this way before, is this common? When people hear the name, they think of a slur against Irish Catholics? Or is Tadhg more like a "Mick" or "plastic Paddy"? I hope that makes sense
Thanks

Apolloanddaphne Sat 23-May-20 16:29:24

How is it pronounced? I saw the name and in my head pronounced it 'tadger' which wouldn't be ideal!

WomanIsTaken Sat 23-May-20 16:33:38

Hm. I came to find out how it is pronounced. Will you be living somewhere where Tadhg is common, or at least familiar? If not, your son is going to spend a lot of time spelling out his name to people like me who don't know it.
Congratulations anyway!

Judiwench Sat 23-May-20 16:34:21

Its offensive here.

Judiwench Sat 23-May-20 16:34:42

What country are you in and what nationality?

Apolloanddaphne Sat 23-May-20 16:35:38

Why is it offensive?

Judiwench Sat 23-May-20 16:36:34

As per the OP, it's used as a slur against the irish/irish Catholics.

DramaAlpaca Sat 23-May-20 16:37:52

It's pronounced like the first syllable of 'tiger'.

It has negative associations in Northern Ireland, but not in Ireland.

ClementineTangerine Sat 23-May-20 16:38:38

I like it - is it pronounced like the first syllable of "tiger"?

I've never heard it as a slur before, but if that's the case I wouldnt use it

AvocaLove Sat 23-May-20 16:40:06

The name Tadhg is absolutely fine.

The word Taig is used as a slur in certain areas of NI.

Taig does come from Tadhg but they are not pronounced the same and a bastardisation of the name by bigoted idiots does not make Tadhg an inappropriate or offensive name.

SqidgeBum Sat 23-May-20 16:42:52

I am irish. If I lived at home in ireland (I live in the uk) I would call my boy Tadhg. It's a common and modern name in Ireland. I would just be concerned with many British people not knowing how to pronounce it and he will spend his life correcting people.

It's not an offensive name btw.

PaulinePetrovaPosey Sat 23-May-20 16:45:16

I looooove it.

Know a few Irish-heritage boys in London with the name, and pronunciation seems to be fine. I'm not aware of any issues with negative associations.

Judiwench Sat 23-May-20 16:45:58

I think it depends where you are, squidge is right on the mispronunciation. It's a name in Scotland too but your child would spend their life being called "taig" because Gaelic isnt widely spoken here.

Sushiroller Sat 23-May-20 16:47:06

Love it but I'm Irish biased

PrayingandHoping Sat 23-May-20 16:52:24

Do u live somewhere where people will know how to pronounce it?

My friend has a child called this in England.... no one can pronounce it.

Blursula Sat 23-May-20 16:52:27

I think it’s a gorgeous name. I’ve never heard of it as being offensive (but I’m not Irish!)

Limpetlike Sat 23-May-20 16:53:56

Taig does come from Tadhg but they are not pronounced the same and a bastardisation of the name by bigoted idiots does not make Tadhg an inappropriate or offensive name.

This. I think it's a great name, and it's having a revival in Ireland, but if you are confused about the connotations, I'm assuming you are not Irish and probably not living in Ireland, so baby Tadhg will need to deal with mispronunciations. This was never an issue for me (Irish name and surname, child with unusual Irish name and two Irish surnames) living in England, France, the US and the ME, but if you are to believe some Mn posters., having your name mispronounced by the dentist's receptionist is a moment of horror, and you should call your child Jack to avoid it.

Lordfrontpaw Sat 23-May-20 16:54:34

How do you say it,

DramaAlpaca Sat 23-May-20 16:55:56

@Lordfrontpaw like the first syllable of 'tiger' as I said above.

Limpetlike Sat 23-May-20 16:56:23

As has been said several times already on the thread, it's the first syllable of 'tiger' -- but with a soft 't', more like the 'th' sound at the beginning of 'thou'

ChandlerIsTheBestFriend Sat 23-May-20 16:58:15

Tadgh isn’t offensive. Taig is.

Tadgh is increasing in popularity and for that reason alone would put me off but I also don’t like the name itself.

MakeTeaNotWar Sat 23-May-20 16:59:39

I've got a Tadhg! SE England. It's not hard to pronounce once you know how! Gorgeous name

MakeTeaNotWar Sat 23-May-20 17:00:00

Pals my Tadhg is 7

PrayingandHoping Sat 23-May-20 17:08:16

Once you know how.... that's it. But how many people will read the same from a piece of paper and have to have a guess and get it wrong and have to be corrected...?

This is coming from someone who's maiden name no one ever pronounced right.

MitziK Sat 23-May-20 17:17:58

From friends who grew up in Northern Ireland, they'd associate it ETAT. Every Taig A Target.

Just wondering, are you Catholic?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »