Talk

Advanced search

Elise? Ellise? Ellis?

(41 Posts)
ec10 Fri 14-Feb-20 17:12:12

Hi everyone,

I’d like to find a girl name that has similar pronunciation with “Alice” but starts with “El.”

I like the sound “EH – l – ih – s” but not sure how it is spelled in the US.
How would you spell it?

Here are some “El” options I found online:
Ellis. (Boy name?)
Elise. (Pronounces “E–lees”? Don’t really like the sound of “E.”)
Ellise. (How does it pronounce?)

Please let me know if you have any thoughts!
I’d appreciate all the suggestions.

LowcaAndroidow Fri 14-Feb-20 17:14:33

If you want to call your daughter Ellis then I’d just spell it Ellis to be honest!
Or Elice then she can say “like Alice with an E” every time she has to spell her name.

KatnissK Fri 14-Feb-20 17:15:13

Ellise I'd say the same as Elise although I don't know if that's correct. Eloise?

20viona Fri 14-Feb-20 17:15:49

Ellis

Elise is pronounced eelise

Omashu Fri 14-Feb-20 17:55:28

My sister is called Ellis so I’ve always seen it as a girls name and I find it too pretty to be a boys name!

She gets loads of compliments on it. She’s in her late 20’s.

ec10 Fri 14-Feb-20 17:55:37

Thanks for the comments!
Ellis seems to be the best option. But I saw many ppl think that it's a boy name. How do you think?

Sexnotgender Fri 14-Feb-20 17:56:15

I know a lovely lady called Ellis.

QuillBill Fri 14-Feb-20 17:58:40

I would say it is a boys name but if you want to call your dd Ellis, which you do that is the only way to spell it so that people will pronounce it properly.

It's far worse to go through your life with everyone mispronouncing your name and you having to correct them and explain yourself than it is to have a name that people might think it a male name when you are a female.

QuillBill Fri 14-Feb-20 18:00:32

Alternatively you could move to Australia and just call her Alice and it,will be pronounced Ellis. My dd's name is totally differentgrinJob done.

AuntieStella Fri 14-Feb-20 18:03:03

Ellis is definitely a boy's name (surname names usually are)

And it has the pronunciation you want for a girl. I'm not aware of another version that is definitely a girl's name.

Are you OK with using such a masculine name?

peachgreen Fri 14-Feb-20 18:08:39

I knew an Elissa.

CruCru Fri 14-Feb-20 18:24:03

I know a little girl called Elise (pronounced Eh-leese).

If I saw a girl's name spelled Ellise, I would assume that it is misspelled. Ellis is a boy's name.

Wintersun13 Fri 14-Feb-20 18:33:53

In my language Élise is pronounced Eh-leez. A perfectly common name. But maybe not quite so common in the US.

Ellis does sound to me like a boy's name but I'm not sure it matters so much. Someone I know is called Alexis, when he lived in the UK everyone was assuming he was a girl until they met him.

And Carol is a boy's name in Poland.
And another friend (Yves) complained that when he worked in Ireland everyone thought he was a girl because Yves is pronounced the same as Eve.

Long story short, they all survived their names without permanent damage grin

So if you love this name... I've heard way stranger names than this !

UncleHerbie Fri 14-Feb-20 18:34:12

My cousin was Ellis and he'd be 61. Friend's daughter is also Ellis, and she's 20

Twelve8Ts Fri 14-Feb-20 18:34:58

I know a female Ellis. Although it’s also used for boys I disagree that it’s a masculine sounding name.

Think it’s really pretty!

bridgetreilly Fri 14-Feb-20 18:42:15

The name you want (Alice but with El at the start) IS a boy's name. You can make up a spelling for it and give it to a girl if you want, but there isn't an existing girl's name. It's a boy name.

Polgara2 Fri 14-Feb-20 18:44:11

I agree that Ellis seems to be a boys name. How about Elyse?

NewYearNewJobNewHome Fri 14-Feb-20 18:50:37

I know a female Ellis and she's wonderful smile

My DD also has a name that's mostly used for boys and I love it!

Go with whatever you prefer.

zeebeedee Fri 14-Feb-20 19:10:20

The mother of the main character in Grays Anatomy is called Ellis

BigRedBoat Fri 14-Feb-20 19:55:14

I know 2 female Ellis's but they are both adults, the only children I know called Ellis are boys, although I have an Alice which people sometimes mishear as Ellis

EdithWeston Fri 14-Feb-20 20:02:58

Literary people will always see Ellis as a boy's name because it was the masculine name of both Emily Bronte and Edith Pargeter (Ellis Peters).

So a boy's name deliberately chosen by adult women to masquerade as men.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 14-Feb-20 20:21:02

No one 'thinks' Its a boys name, it is a boys name. Although very very occasionally used for girls. Therefore it's still usable.

pumpkinpie01 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:50:16

I have always thought Ellis to be a boys name, but that could be as it was my grandads name, it's also my oldest sons middle name. We also have an Elise in the family , she has yet to come across anyone else with the same name , we pronounce it Eleese.

Tillygetsit Sat 15-Feb-20 00:03:27

Blimey, if people can call a girl James (which I really don't like for a girl) surely you can call a girl Ellis ( which I do like!)

ec10 Sat 15-Feb-20 06:11:33

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
It’s so hard to decide… Personally, I like unisex names for girls, but I'm worried it wouldn't suit her.

My friend suggested me Alise. Pronounced “Uh-lees”? How do you guys think about it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »