Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Can I call my baby boy Sioux?

(90 Posts)
Keythorpe2017 Mon 13-Jan-20 02:50:38

My husband is a big music fan and with all of these gender neutral names flying about I was wondering if it would be cruel to call our baby boy Sioux?

To me the name Sioux is strong and mascaline - worriors. But I'd like to get your opinions please.

🤔🙂

OP’s posts: |
misspiggy19 Mon 13-Jan-20 04:07:14

Female Stevie is short for Stephanie.

Anyway a boy named Sue? This has to be a wind up. Why would you do that to your child?

bananahood Mon 13-Jan-20 04:17:57

It is lovely but there's the First Nations thing to consider. Why not keep it on the back burner for a future DD? Also the names you've listed are traditionally boys' names, now (sometimes) used as girls' (although I've never met or heard of a girl with any of those names), it's far less common for boys to be given what are traditionally girls' names. Obviously lots can be read into that but it is what it is and a boy who is essentially named Sue is going to be given a hard time. It's not enough to say he would become tough, that's a big burden you're knowingly giving him.

mathanxiety Mon 13-Jan-20 04:38:48

HannaYeah, lots of girl Dylans and Camerons where I am, and at least one Tyler.

Also girls named Campbell, Logan, Barrett. Not women yet, but give them time. The era or normal names for children has passed it seems.

Ritascornershop Mon 13-Jan-20 04:41:22

Living in Canada (lives for a time in the U.K.), find it seriously weird to use an Indigenous name when you (presumably) have no connection to that Indigenous people. And while I’m at it, could people stop naming their kids Cohen? Use of names that are special to the people who originated the name (by people from outside that group) feels very wrong to some of us. Cohens are the priestly class of Jews, Sioux are a specific group of First Nation people.

Charlieiscool Mon 13-Jan-20 05:34:48

It would be a cruel and ridiculous thing to do. Utterly selfish on your part and the child would suffer incessantly.

AutumnCrow Mon 13-Jan-20 05:40:06

No, you crack on, love.

mathanxiety Mon 13-Jan-20 05:45:52

Hear hear, @Ritascornershop.

puds11 Mon 13-Jan-20 05:47:04

There did used to be a mnetter on here called Stevie. From what I remember it wasn’t Stephanie, just Stevie and she didn’t like it.

BoomZahramay Mon 13-Jan-20 06:02:14

I value your options but just playing with the gender rules and wondering where the line is drawn?

I would say the line is drawn at turning your own kids into social experiments. If you want to play with gender rules, change your own name.

othervoicesotherrooms Mon 13-Jan-20 06:02:47

Johnny Cash !! This has to be a joke OP!! grin

Crafting1Queen Mon 13-Jan-20 06:11:32

Name change fail?

OP - Keythorpe2017 Mon 13-Jan-20 03:10:11
Isn't that what people would have said about boys names that are now used for girls though years ago...
Cameron, Andy, Dylan, Bobby, Tyler, Stevie etc...
I value your options but just playing with the gender rules and wondering where the line is drawn?
🙂

Zfw798 Mon 13-Jan-20 03:51:24
Right, got my answer. Thanks everyone! 😁

Either way, don't name your son Sioux.

Badabingbadabum Mon 13-Jan-20 09:03:00

Are you linked to the Sioux? Do you want your son to have a name that sounds like Sue? The Jonny Cash song has the line "my name is Sue. How do you do. Now your gonna die!"? All the explaining your son will need to do when he tells anyone his name? Except he will probably refer to himself as Mike from the age of about 4.

BobbyBlueCat Mon 13-Jan-20 09:13:26

OP, do grow the fuck up.

cherryblossomgin Mon 13-Jan-20 09:17:28

It doesn't matter how you spell it. Everyone will think he is called Sue and wonder why you gave him a girls name.

TheVanguardSix Mon 13-Jan-20 09:19:26

As in a male version of Siouxsie Sioux?

You'd be mad as a bucket of frogs to call your son Sioux.
Great band though.

sel2223 Mon 13-Jan-20 09:22:45

with all of these gender neutral names flying about

I'm all for unusual names but when I think of gender neutral, I think of names that can be either male or female.
'Sue' (regardless of spelling) is just a uninspiring female name....and not a particularly nice one at that. Sorry OP.

What about Stevie?

teethgrindwind Mon 13-Jan-20 09:27:42

I've met a female Stevie, but none of the others they are boys names, but I'd assume it was boy unless told. Of course there is Cameron Diaz but all Cameron's I know are boys.

Sue doesn't work for me What about Sonny or Xavier or Lenny? I don't know something different, but not a girls name with an impossible spelling.

Bluntness100 Mon 13-Jan-20 10:53:49

I'm also not sure this is serious, do you listen to too much country and western and think a boy called sue is a fine idea?

Lweji Mon 13-Jan-20 10:56:10

You can, but if you love him why would you?

He'd be forever spelling his name to people. Just give a normal name that people will know how to spell.

WorraLiberty Mon 13-Jan-20 10:59:01

One way to find out where the line is drawn, is for your husband to change his name to Sioux/Sue for a year.

You'll understand exactly where it's drawn then.

teethgrindwind Mon 13-Jan-20 12:11:17

I've had a better idea what about

Saul

user1480880826 Mon 13-Jan-20 12:19:19

Absolutely not. You will, rightly, be accused of cultural appropriation. Sioux is the name of a Native American tribe.

Also, calling a boy Sue (however you want to spell it) is extremely cruel. He will be badly bullied and will not forgive you for it.

SuperMeerkat Mon 13-Jan-20 12:25:21

Like Sue 😂😂 He’ll get called Susan all through school/life!! Don’t be mean @Keythorpe2017

Whathappenedtothelego Mon 13-Jan-20 12:25:25

I think the sound of it is fine, and written down would assume it was a boy's name.

But I find it pretty inappropriate if you don't have any cultural link to the name.

MAndSReadyMealForOne Mon 13-Jan-20 12:26:42

Cameron, Andy, Dylan, Bobby, Tyler, Stevie etc...

All of those names are boys names.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in