Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Men v Women. Who has more traditional or unusual taste- you or your partner?

(30 Posts)
Flymetothestars Sun 12-Jan-20 13:30:39

Wondering who tends to be more traditional and who tends to prefer to be more daring - men or women? Sorry this is quite a hetero-centric question but am still interested in any couple really.

Do you tend to find men or women prefer more unusual names or more traditional names?

Just interested really.

OP’s posts: |
Lavenderblues Mon 13-Jan-20 15:53:45

He basically thinks your name should be the least interesting thing about you.

See, I think a name should identify you. And that has nothing to do with how 'interesting' or otherwise your name is.

I can definitely remember an Orlando much better than another Steve or Mike, of which I know so many!

Sandsnake Mon 13-Jan-20 16:08:48

Similar with our first born (boy). Both tended more towards traditional / classic names and naming DS was easy. We’re now expecting a girl in the next few weeks and have really struggled. His taste in girls names is traditional / currently popular, but I seem to be preferring slightly shorter / more unusual names this time. I’m sure we’ll get there in the end... 😬

PlantPotting Mon 13-Jan-20 16:09:29

I suppose it’s just our individual life experience. His brother has a more unusual name, whereas my DH has a vey popular 1980s name. His brothers name isn’t obscure or wacky, it just wasnt very common at that time (along the lines of Laurence etc) anyway his brother got really bullied at school because of his weight and also because of his name. His brother has now given his children top 10 names. For him he obviously just wants a name that totally blends in so that even if that child gets bullied, the name will be the hardest thing to pick on as one of the bullies (or someone else in the class), is likely to be named something similar.

Orlando I would probably remember as i would make the connection with Bloom.
Buddy I also remember because of Buddy Holly. But many of the other underused names round here totally escape my brain 🤦‍♀️ Mike is really easy to remember for me x

NameChangeNugget Mon 13-Jan-20 16:09:38

We settled on a girls name, for a different type of name (my choice) in the 80’s. When she was born, she didn’t look like that type of name. DH didn’t have a clue what I was on about and said it looked like a baby girl grin

I think women are far more creative with names.

Minai Tue 14-Jan-20 11:07:55

I really like traditional, top 10 kind of names and dh likes very unusual names. We compromised with names which are in top 100 but not top 20.

Not sure if it’s related but dh has a very, very common surname so possibly likes more usual names because of this. I grew up with a very unusual, hard to spell, foreign surname so I possibly like very popular names you don’t have to spell out and explain to people.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in