Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Jemima

(59 Posts)
bb2605 Thu 09-Jan-20 14:20:17

What are everyone's thoughts on Jemima? I absolutely love it but my husband keeps repeating Jemima Puddleduck (sigh). Also I'm really worried it could be shortened to Jemma which (no offence intended to any Jemma/Gemma's out there) I really dislike. Any other nicknames that fall out of Jemima that could be cute instead? I'd be OK with Mima...

OP’s posts: |
ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:24:23

Love Jemima.

ZebraKid71 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:20:26

I grew up in the states where there were strong associations with Aunt Jemima so I wouldn't use it.

I know 2 little Jemimas, one goes by Mima which I dislike and one goes by Jimmy which started off as a joke but stuck.

AlpacaGoodnight Mon 13-Jan-20 20:05:23

Love it! Really like Mimi and Mima as nicknames

nocluewhattodoo Sun 12-Jan-20 23:09:17

Jemima was a contender when we were naming DD, I love it

Astronica Sun 12-Jan-20 23:05:51

I love Jemima. And love Mima as a short form. I also think Immy would work fine as a nickname. Also, Mimi, Jem.

MollyButton Sun 12-Jan-20 18:32:12

I like Jemima - in the US it has very different connotations (slavery), so that could be a consideration but for most English people they expect Jemima to be a posh horsey girl, is anything.

Cobblersandhogwash Sun 12-Jan-20 17:49:28

Love Jemima

Jojo19834 Sun 12-Jan-20 17:48:26

I thought ‘I like it’ but then thought ‘puddleduck’ but I still like it so I’d choose it

diddlediddle Sun 12-Jan-20 17:43:29

It's nice. Don't know why people are so bothered by the puddleduck association - it's not a bad one, and there are plenty of names that are associated with various characters. I don't think it needs to be shortened but Jem and Mima are ok.

Lobsterquadrille2 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:59:09

@bb2605 my DD was at school with twins who were Imogen and Jemima, known as Midge and Mima! Both beautiful names.

bb2605 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:53:14

@flymetothestars good advice 😂 bizarre!

I do love Imogen and so does my husband but our niece is called Izzy and we would shorten Imogen to Immy so I feel that they are a bit too similar? Wavering though because I’m keener on Jemima than he is and we do both like Imogen. I just love Jemima and I don’t think it is twee at all and I like that it is unusual. I know two people (although not close friends) whose daughters are called Imogen so it feels common to me but you’re right I should look up the stats recently because they are 2 and 4 years old respectively so maybe by the time ours gets to school it won’t be so common. Thanks!

Flymetothestars Sun 12-Jan-20 13:47:17

@bb2605 I would ignore the odd strange comment like that.

Jemima is a gorgeous name and in no way bully material. Sadly if a child is going to get picked on it’s going to happen, regardless of their name

Have you made a decision on the name? Can I just say I adore the name imogen too. It’s much less common than it used to be 5-10 years ago if you look at the numbers

bb2605 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:44:46

@LindaMcCarthy what a strange thing to say! I don’t think a Jemima would be bullied any more than any other child a lot of it depends on children’s personalities not their names. Also you’re implying I should call my child a name I think they’ll be bullied for so that they experience pain and suffering through their school years? I don’t follow your thoughts at all, I’m sorry!

TheWoodsareDarkandDeep Fri 10-Jan-20 23:31:46

It’s very very twee.

SummerintoAutumn Fri 10-Jan-20 23:21:31

I know a Jemima... known as Jemmy when she was little.
Her friends now call her Jem.

LindaMcCarthy Fri 10-Jan-20 22:54:21

Jemima is a name which when they grow up they will be bullied so I think you should call her this because In your life you should experience pain and hurt, I hope you understand my thoughts - as you were Linda X

northernlittledonkey Fri 10-Jan-20 22:50:07

I love it, we nearly had one DH vetoed it. Her first cuddly toy was called Jemima. I thought of Mimi or Jem for short.

Ginbauble Fri 10-Jan-20 22:48:44

I don't like the name, too twee for me

The 2 jemimas I know are both known as Jem.

WestCountryLady Fri 10-Jan-20 22:48:29

Actually I think it might have been Jeremy.

WestCountryLady Fri 10-Jan-20 22:46:45

I like it, I didn't think of Jemima puddle duck though I thought of Jimmi and Jemima from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

GreenTulips Fri 10-Jan-20 22:40:47

Jemima is the doll from play school

But I love it and it was on our list

FriedasCarLoad Fri 10-Jan-20 22:38:28

Love it. Such a beautiful name. The Jemima's I know are known as

Jemima x3
Mimi x1
Mim x1
Jem/Jems x 1

DramaAlpaca Fri 10-Jan-20 22:37:04

Jemima will always be Puddleduck to me.

The name has negative connotations in the southern US though, but that might not bother you.

Grandmi Fri 10-Jan-20 22:34:33

Love Jemima.

HedgeHogFoxBadger Fri 10-Jan-20 22:25:11

Love jemima.I have a Delilah and shortened her name when she was a baby to Dee Dee but now I can her Delilah and she doesn’t like anyone calling her Dee Dee!
What about tallulah or Tabitha (oh that’s Peter rabbit too!) love all of those names

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in