Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Thoughts on Jemima

(59 Posts)
bb2605 Thu 09-Jan-20 14:20:17

What are everyone's thoughts on Jemima? I absolutely love it but my husband keeps repeating Jemima Puddleduck (sigh). Also I'm really worried it could be shortened to Jemma which (no offence intended to any Jemma/Gemma's out there) I really dislike. Any other nicknames that fall out of Jemima that could be cute instead? I'd be OK with Mima...

OP’s posts: |
Poorolddaddypig Fri 10-Jan-20 08:05:54

LOVE Jemima and would use it in a heartbeat

nowaypose Fri 10-Jan-20 12:30:54

I love it and names don’t have to be shortened.

bb2605 Fri 10-Jan-20 12:51:56

@nowaypose that is true - I guess I don't really mean by us I just mean by other children who may find the full name hard to say. In my head that could mean it gets changed to Jemma or Mima since those are the main syllables which could be easier for other children to say but it seems from others on this thread that that hasn't happened to Jemima's that they have known. I'd be happy to call her just Jemima!

Fivefourthree Fri 10-Jan-20 12:54:09

I love the name Jemima!!

pilates Fri 10-Jan-20 12:56:41

Love it

Footle Fri 10-Jan-20 19:39:24

I used to know a Jemima shortened to Jimey.

ParsleyPot Fri 10-Jan-20 19:52:46

I know several, all lovely people.

Loveislandaddict Fri 10-Jan-20 19:55:46

Lovely, and all names can have nn if you look hard enough.

Saisong Fri 10-Jan-20 19:57:37

My sister is called Jem by almost everyone now, but she was called Mima as a youngster (and still is by older relatives). As a baby she was Minkin grin

HedgeHogFoxBadger Fri 10-Jan-20 22:25:11

Love jemima.I have a Delilah and shortened her name when she was a baby to Dee Dee but now I can her Delilah and she doesn’t like anyone calling her Dee Dee!
What about tallulah or Tabitha (oh that’s Peter rabbit too!) love all of those names

Grandmi Fri 10-Jan-20 22:34:33

Love Jemima.

DramaAlpaca Fri 10-Jan-20 22:37:04

Jemima will always be Puddleduck to me.

The name has negative connotations in the southern US though, but that might not bother you.

FriedasCarLoad Fri 10-Jan-20 22:38:28

Love it. Such a beautiful name. The Jemima's I know are known as

Jemima x3
Mimi x1
Mim x1
Jem/Jems x 1

GreenTulips Fri 10-Jan-20 22:40:47

Jemima is the doll from play school

But I love it and it was on our list

WestCountryLady Fri 10-Jan-20 22:46:45

I like it, I didn't think of Jemima puddle duck though I thought of Jimmi and Jemima from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

WestCountryLady Fri 10-Jan-20 22:48:29

Actually I think it might have been Jeremy.

Ginbauble Fri 10-Jan-20 22:48:44

I don't like the name, too twee for me

The 2 jemimas I know are both known as Jem.

northernlittledonkey Fri 10-Jan-20 22:50:07

I love it, we nearly had one DH vetoed it. Her first cuddly toy was called Jemima. I thought of Mimi or Jem for short.

LindaMcCarthy Fri 10-Jan-20 22:54:21

Jemima is a name which when they grow up they will be bullied so I think you should call her this because In your life you should experience pain and hurt, I hope you understand my thoughts - as you were Linda X

SummerintoAutumn Fri 10-Jan-20 23:21:31

I know a Jemima... known as Jemmy when she was little.
Her friends now call her Jem.

TheWoodsareDarkandDeep Fri 10-Jan-20 23:31:46

It’s very very twee.

bb2605 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:44:46

@LindaMcCarthy what a strange thing to say! I don’t think a Jemima would be bullied any more than any other child a lot of it depends on children’s personalities not their names. Also you’re implying I should call my child a name I think they’ll be bullied for so that they experience pain and suffering through their school years? I don’t follow your thoughts at all, I’m sorry!

Flymetothestars Sun 12-Jan-20 13:47:17

@bb2605 I would ignore the odd strange comment like that.

Jemima is a gorgeous name and in no way bully material. Sadly if a child is going to get picked on it’s going to happen, regardless of their name

Have you made a decision on the name? Can I just say I adore the name imogen too. It’s much less common than it used to be 5-10 years ago if you look at the numbers

bb2605 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:53:14

@flymetothestars good advice 😂 bizarre!

I do love Imogen and so does my husband but our niece is called Izzy and we would shorten Imogen to Immy so I feel that they are a bit too similar? Wavering though because I’m keener on Jemima than he is and we do both like Imogen. I just love Jemima and I don’t think it is twee at all and I like that it is unusual. I know two people (although not close friends) whose daughters are called Imogen so it feels common to me but you’re right I should look up the stats recently because they are 2 and 4 years old respectively so maybe by the time ours gets to school it won’t be so common. Thanks!

Lobsterquadrille2 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:59:09

@bb2605 my DD was at school with twins who were Imogen and Jemima, known as Midge and Mima! Both beautiful names.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in