Talk

Advanced search

What inspired your baby name choice?

(57 Posts)
Fairybobbin Sat 07-Dec-19 12:09:44

What's your Little One's name/name to be? Did you hear it on a TV programme? Film? Family member? Google search? Mumsnet? Tell me your story!

Enko Sat 07-Dec-19 14:49:49

Dd1 is named after JD Salinger's the catcher in the rye. When dh was 14 he read it and said to his mum
"If I ever have a girl I'm going to call her Phoebe as she is the coolest sister in the world" sadly friends happened and most think is from friends but she is not. Her mn was my paternal grandmothers middle name and the English variant was Mils middle name.

Dd2 I dreamt when with dd2 we had a dd and called her Eloise. Dh didn't like it. By the time we were expecting again he said ok but I prefer it with an a at the end. She has sils mmname for her middle name as they worked well together.

Ds is the ONLY boys name dh and I could agree on and it is a marmite name he is Conrad. His middle name is after late BIL

Dd3 I think dh felt bad he had picked both the girls names so he went w my luck. She has a Irish name as I just love it Aoife. For her mn she has the feminised version of my step grandfathers name. It has a vocal in it that doesn't exist in the English alphabet ø So she has a name none can say or spell but its beautiful. We went to the Danish embassy this week and they struggled w her first name calling her A o If he but could say first name without issue. Made us smile.

I actually asked my dad about mine the other day and he told me he had come across the name through work as a colleagues wife was called it. He had liked it and suggested it to my mum who also liked it and so it came to be. My mn is after my late aunt.

Omashu Sat 07-Dec-19 15:52:43

My daughters name came from a cartoon me and OH love!

Omashu Sat 07-Dec-19 15:55:43

Oh and I was named after a singer my parents like.

Honeybee85 Sat 07-Dec-19 15:56:13

I just loved DS’ name. It’s classic and it sounds beautiful.

It’s also a very unusual name in DH’s country, since we live in Asia and DS’ name is European.
It was a lovely coincidence that the doctor who delivered DS told me she has a son with exactly the same name!

BikeRunSki Sat 07-Dec-19 16:05:59

DD - her name is an anagram of MiL’s name (but also a name of its own). Her middle name is after a beautiful place DH and I used to live (but also a girl’s name).

DS’s name is a name I have always liked, and was the name of a very sweet child I used to babysit. It’s also the bane of every eldest son in the eight generations of dh’s family before FiL, and miL’s father’s name. We couldn’t really not use it. His middle name is after a relative I was very fond of.

LobsterQuadrille2 Sat 07-Dec-19 16:13:26

I was working in Bermuda when I had DD, and the shipwreck in The Tempest is allegedly set off the coast, so I called her Miranda.

ikeakia Sat 07-Dec-19 16:17:09

DD1- I found it in a baby name book, not unheard of but was used mostly in America, particularly Hawaii. I read it means moon goddess. Her middle names are my GM’s name and my favourite breed of dog.

DS1- he has a combination name that I have not seen anywhere, even googling brings up nothing. I couldn’t decide between the two names and mashed them together. I get so many comments as it sounds very similar to one of the names, and everyone has said how lovely it is. Middle names are Paternal GGF and my uncle’s names.

DD2- she’s named after a character from a TV series but despite it being a beautiful name she goes by her animal name middle name.

DS2- his is the most commonly used name, my mum chose it and he has his paternal GF’s name and his dad’s favourite footballer as middle names.

RuthW Sat 07-Dec-19 16:19:30

The criteria were:

Something that could be shortened as my name can't.

Something not in the top 100 ( that backfired as 23 years later it's in top 20).

Three names as I only have one.

One of her names is May as she was due 15th may. She was three weeks early!

Fairybobbin Sat 07-Dec-19 17:26:30

I'm curious about what all these names are! So interesting hearing everyone's inspirations.

Anniecott Sat 07-Dec-19 21:45:07

My son is named after my late grandfather, who died just after I was born, middle name of my fil, same middle name as my dh. If he'd been a girl he was going to have the feminine version of my grandfathers name with my mils as middle name.

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 07-Dec-19 21:50:22

I was reading a book of the letters of Clementine and Winston Churchill when I found I was pregnant.
She was fascinating.
My DD is Clementine.

ImportantWater Sat 07-Dec-19 21:50:30

DH wanted names that were a bit Scottish
I wanted names that had some kind of history to them.
Middle names were our dads’ middle names.

Sleepyquest Sat 07-Dec-19 21:51:40

@mumsiedarlingrevolta I've just had baby Clementine! How old is yours? X

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 07-Dec-19 21:52:05

And her middle name is my middle name, and my mums and my grandmas and her mums etc. I love that.
DD has already said she will give to her daughter as a middle name.
I love the link and the family continuity

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 07-Dec-19 21:54:19

@Sleepyquest 19!!
She is brilliant-I have gotten so many compliments over the years-I love her name.

Congrats on your baby Clementine fsmile

HotSince82 Sat 07-Dec-19 21:55:56

Ds1 is named literally the only boys name I could agree upon with my ex

Dd1 is named after my gramdmother.

DS2 is called what I would have named DS1 if my ex hadn't been so objectionable.

DD2 was named after a girl in a song that DH and I loved.

DS3 is named after an archangel or a ninja turtle

grisen Sat 07-Dec-19 21:58:00

First name is my grandad’s name who died when I was young. It was a no brained as my partner said he liked the name when we first started dating so it was always going to be the name of we ever had a boy.
Middle name comes from a film

puds11 Sat 07-Dec-19 21:59:33

Both my children are named after literary classics.

raskolnikova Sat 07-Dec-19 22:00:03

I was obsessed with the musical Hamilton when I was pregnant.

Still am, it's a great musical.

RosieposiePuddingandPi Sat 07-Dec-19 22:02:35

My son's first name is my dad's middle name which I already loved and his middle name is a character from DH's favourite book.
DD's first name came from a nickname I loved through pregnancy and right at the end we decided on her name to give that nickname. I am completely in love with her full name though and we get lots of comments on it. Her middle name is from the same book as DS's.

codenameduchess Sat 07-Dec-19 22:03:33

Both of my children have parents names as middle names.
Dc1 was a girl so got my mums name as a middle name, my mum is amazing and we felt it was a nice tribute to her. Dc2 was a boy so has my late dads name as his middle name. My dad died before either dc were born but it felt like a nice way of keeping him with us.

Both dcs first names were inspired by pop culture... dd from new girl, and ds is named after a pretty iconic sci-fi actor.

I asked my mum once how she chose mine and my brothers names and she said 'you/he just looked like an X'. Neither name had been decided before and they didn't have short lists or anything, our names just came to her. Me and dh spent months suggesting and vetoing names.

Bogiesaremyonlyfriend Sat 07-Dec-19 22:11:25

Dd1 was named after a child I taught in school, I heard her name and had never heard that name before, loved it and knew then I'd call a dd it if I had one. Dh wasn't keen but I just referred to bump as the name from when we found out and he came round! Now it is a super popular name!! Dd2 was named by dh, just a name he loved and he chose very well, it's suits her immensley

elQuintoConyo Sat 07-Dec-19 22:12:04

After the slobby Walter Mathau character in The Odd Couple, there was so much negativity around Felix, that we didn't even bother putting it on our list - even though it's an ace name and I still love it.

Or the grouchy one who lives in a bin in Sesame Street grin

We wanted something international (he has: English, Irish, German, French and Spanish blood!) that all relatives could spell. He doesn't have a middle name because as we're in Spain he has two surnames. Four is a bit excessive here.

He loves his name and has quite a lot of things with his name on (toy lorry, mug, fairy lights, keyring etc).

I was named my name because it was the 70s and quite popular, it is a classic name thank god. My middle name, however, is HORRENDOUS and really smacks of 1973 blush

Aria2015 Sat 07-Dec-19 22:14:04

Never really fell in love with a name so 3 days post baby just picked one I sort of liked. It's grown on me. Can't imagine lo being called anything now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »