Talk

Advanced search

Is this a bit naff?

(52 Posts)
MrsCantthinkofaname Sat 07-Dec-19 08:18:16

DH suggested the name April for DD1 but we ended up going for Sylvie instead which we love. Now pregnant with DD2 and still really like April but as baby is actually due in April, I don’t know if it makes it a bit naff? Or does it make it better that it’s the birth month? It’s also the month we got married so it does have lovely meaning.

What do you think?

Roussette Sat 07-Dec-19 08:22:29

I think it's a lovely name, and even better if your baby is born in April !

daisypond Sat 07-Dec-19 08:24:25

I like April. I don’t think it matters either way -it’s not naff. You could consider Avril for a different spin too.

IckleBear Sat 07-Dec-19 08:25:19

I'm not sure on it.
Sylvie and Nancy
Sylvie and Juliet

MrsBertBibby Sat 07-Dec-19 08:36:17

I really dislike it, Avril is better.

autumndreaming Sat 07-Dec-19 09:46:22

I think it's lovely, doesn't seem to be many about either so it sounds fresh

Leopardprintboots Sat 07-Dec-19 09:49:42

Absolutely love the name April. I don’t think it’s naff. My baby was due in April but wasn’t born til May. I don’t think anyone will think you’ve chosen the name purely because of the month

SMurphy91 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:20:48

I have a cousin called April, born in April. I'd have thought it would be stranger if she was born in another month and still given the name.

firawla Sat 07-Dec-19 10:47:19

I like it! Doesn’t matter which month she’s born in, it’s not too naff either way especially as it’s your wedding month

Astronica Sat 07-Dec-19 11:16:58

I like it and it doesn't matter either way about birth month.

TatianaLarina Sat 07-Dec-19 11:18:17

Can’t bear it personally. What are your other choices?

EugeniaGrace Sat 07-Dec-19 11:19:58

I like it and prefer it to Avril.

lanbro Sat 07-Dec-19 11:23:20

My friend has an April, born in August, but I think it's a lovely and underused name. Being born in April doesn't make it naff at all

JumpiestBat Sat 07-Dec-19 11:27:32

April is lovely. Avril sounds a bit like Bovril!

mondler Sat 07-Dec-19 11:30:22

I love April. I've heard arguments on here that you can't use it unless born in that month or you can't use it if you weren't born in that month! It's lovely so if you like it use it regardless x

PizzaExpressWoking Sat 07-Dec-19 11:30:37

I have an auntie called June, and she has had a lifetime of people assuming she was born in June (actually it was November).

Obviously it's not a big annoyance, but it is an assumption that a lot of people make.

So I don't think her being born in April is a reason NOT to call her April.

AtrociousCircumstance Sat 07-Dec-19 11:34:13

Love April!

Have you seen Parks and Rec? Very funny and beautiful character with that name, and in one moving scene (no spoilers!) they play the gorgeous Simon and Garfunkel song ‘April Come She Will’ and it was ❤️

Addsverisimilitude Sat 07-Dec-19 11:39:30

I like it. I think it's better if the person wasn't born in that month but I don't think it makes it naff. I know several Aprils and it's never occurred to me to wonder when they were born.
It goes beautifully with Sylvie too.

MrsCantthinkofaname Sat 07-Dec-19 11:40:11

Thanks everyone for the opinions! Really appreciate them.

Names on our list are below if anyone has any preferences x

Pearl
Olive
April
Nancy

Kanga83 Sat 07-Dec-19 11:42:43

Sylvie and Olive sound lovely together and will work as they grow. Sorry, I'm not keen on your other choices.

Leopardprintboots Sat 07-Dec-19 11:44:06

I would never assume that someone called June must have been born in June! That sounds totally absurd to me!

Leopardprintboots Sat 07-Dec-19 11:45:00

Pearl - love
Olive - love
April - love
Nancy - Love

Oh sorry I was going to try and be constructive but I’ve just been through your list and I love all your shortlist especially olive

PizzaExpressWoking Sat 07-Dec-19 11:50:56

Leopardprintboots - yes, I agree, but apparently there are an awful lot of people who do assume that!

TatianaLarina Sat 07-Dec-19 11:51:27

Nancy - LOVE.

Sylvie and Nancy are great together.

Pearl just sounds very tacky.

MrsCantthinkofaname Sat 07-Dec-19 11:53:26

Thanks @Leopardprintboots! Good to know that I can’t go too wrong with any choice then smile x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »