Talk

Advanced search

Final list for baby boy - kind ideas welcome :-)

(44 Posts)
Starfish83 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:34:07

Right, this seems to be our final shortlist...thoughtful and informed opinions are very welcome and any ideas for other great names. :-) Thank you!

- Rufus
- Rafael
- Fabian (I'm aware of the link to the Fabian Society, but still love the name!)
- Rory (late addition to the list and an acquaintance has recently called her baby this so not sure about using it...)

Leopardprintboots Thu 05-Dec-19 09:37:56

I like Rafael (nickname ) and Rory the best

Rufus I just think “Dufus” or a dog

Fabian doesn’t sound English to me (not that that matters, I just would want an English sounding name as I’m English )

I don’t think it matters about the acquaintance calling child Rory. No one owns a name and it’s not a completely obscure name so it won’t look like you’ve copied it. It’s just a really lovely name so others are bound to use it

Leopardprintboots Thu 05-Dec-19 09:38:13

* nickname Raffy that was meant to say

Collision Thu 05-Dec-19 09:38:13

Absolutely love Rufus and Rory.

Fabian is a little too out there for me and I’m not sure a 15 year old would appreciate the name.
Raphael is too angel for me too but Raph is quite nice.

17caterpillars1mouse Thu 05-Dec-19 09:38:22

Rufus - this was our boys name (had girls) so I love it

Rafael - I prefer the Raphael spelling but do like it, we considered it but It just didn't feel very us in the end. Love Raffy as a nn

Fabian - not so keen

Rory - I quite like it but none quite a few under 3s called Rory.

I will also suggest Florian as it seems like it would fit your style smile

Leopardprintboots Thu 05-Dec-19 09:39:05

Yes I prefer Ralph to Rafael too but I love the nickname Raffy so you could use that instead of the full name which does sound a bit ott to my ears

GiveHerHellFromUs Thu 05-Dec-19 09:46:37

Rufus and Rory sound like dogs to me.

I like Rafael and Fabian. Although I'd spell it as Raphael.

Addsverisimilitude Thu 05-Dec-19 09:50:57

Rufus and Rafael are both completely gorgeous. Rufus would have been top of my list had we had another boy.
The Fabian society just does put me off Fabian for absolutely no good reason.
I like Rory but it's not as lovely as your other names.

99bb Thu 05-Dec-19 10:47:46

Rory - I absolutely love!

All the others are really nice names. For some reason, I personally can’t imagine actually calling out Rafael to a child.

Just be careful if Rufus if you’re surname begins with S, it could end up sounding like Roofer Smith 😂

CandyApple1995 Thu 05-Dec-19 10:57:04

What about Ralph?

I do love Rory though. My friend has a little boy called Rory but she used the Irish spelling, Ruairi. I really like it either way x

Leopardprintboots Thu 05-Dec-19 11:10:55

No I’m the same with not imagining shouting Rafael - but Raffy would sound amazing to me ❤️❤️

QuantumEntanglement Thu 05-Dec-19 11:36:06

I love Rafael and Fabian, and I like Rufus, actually it’s growing on me as I keep saying it. If pushed I’d go with Rafael.

I really can’t get enthused about Rory, I find it hard to say it seems to get stuck in my mouth somehow.

CandyApple1995 Thu 05-Dec-19 11:57:01

Rupert? x

Settlersofcatan Thu 05-Dec-19 11:59:13

Gabriel?

Astronica Thu 05-Dec-19 12:24:59

Rufus is a top name of mine - love it. I also really like Rafael and Rory. Fabian just doesn't appeal to me much, I don't tend to like ian endings like Damian, Caspian. Also love Rupert and Felix for other names.

Leopardprintboots Thu 05-Dec-19 12:25:52

If you like the X in Felix how about Dexter?

Leopardprintboots Thu 05-Dec-19 12:26:33

Of sorry maybe I’m thinking of a different poster who said they loved the name Felix. I don’t see it on your list. Apologies

spiderlight Thu 05-Dec-19 13:28:10

Rufus and Rory are fab. What about Reuben?

FizzyGreenWater Thu 05-Dec-19 13:36:30

Rufus is great.

Also love Roddy (Roderick).

daisypond Thu 05-Dec-19 14:18:29

I like all your names a lot. Fabian is my favourite- definitely an English name.

NoSauce Thu 05-Dec-19 16:25:03

Rory is cute.

Starfish83 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:36:17

Ooh, loving the love for all the names! Why are boys name so hard?! I'm so stuck!

Thank you very much for all the thoughts so far and thanks to those who have suggested names - we've thought about each of these already and for some reason or other they've been vetoed.

Please keep coming with the opinions, folks! x

MikeUniformMike Thu 05-Dec-19 20:12:46

- Rufus - dog
- Rafael - downmarket
- Fabian (I'm aware of the link to the Fabian Society, but still love the name!) -- nn Fay
- Rory - shit if you can't say r

Starfish83 Thu 05-Dec-19 21:56:47

Goodness, thanks for your directness, MikeUniformMike! I’d be interested if you could elaborate on the reasoning behind your opinions on Rafael and Fabian? Not concerned about the dog association or speech difficulties (as the latter are wide-ranging and affect many names other than those which feature two ‘r’s).

Tillygetsit Thu 05-Dec-19 22:45:00

I love Rufus and Rory.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »