Talk

Advanced search

Jesse for a boy?

(82 Posts)
Batmanandrobin123 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:55:47

DH thinks it's too girly. I love it. I'm aware of the 'big Jesse' insult in Scotland but we're not in Scotland. Any thoughts? Anyone know of any boys called Jesse and do they like their name?

Leopardprintboots Sat 07-Dec-19 22:08:04

Those names all sound lovely! Jacob, James and John are 3 of my favourite names. You don’t actually get many John’s these days

Batmanandrobin123 Sat 07-Dec-19 22:00:05

Haha I think he is thinking something safer.
Jesse Jacob
Jesse James (his fave like the outlaw! 🙄)
Jesse John (family name)

mrssunshinexxx Sat 07-Dec-19 20:22:57

Love it op

Leopardprintboots Sat 07-Dec-19 20:00:56

Will definitely be fine! So glad your DH is on board

Honestly once he hears the names of the babies at baby group I think he’ll realise you’ve made a pretty safe choice in comparison! I can remember the shock a few years ago when my DH first heard names like Albert /Albie and Hunter- all 3 are top 100 names now! It’s definitely a completely different “name” landscape than when we were at school

For JJ....How about
Jesse Jenson
Jesse Jagger 🤩
Jesse Jago

Batmanandrobin123 Sat 07-Dec-19 19:38:59

Well DH is nearly on board I think. He wants to use a J middle name and have the option of JJ too.
I just cant imagine a teenager calling someone a big jessie, it would sound so old fashioned. Maybe it's because we are down south but he will grow up down here so hopefully be fine.

Emelene Sat 07-Dec-19 16:22:07

I love it but couldn't get my DH on board at all... too girly he thought. sad

BackforGood Sat 07-Dec-19 16:14:54

"big Jesse" isn't just an insult in Scotland and the North. I grew up in the Midlands and it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

This ^

I'm with your dh. I wouldn't name a child a word that is so strongly linked with being an insult.

LittleDoveLove Sat 07-Dec-19 15:49:49

I like it smile

s3tut0y3r Fri 06-Dec-19 22:26:43

Jesse is a lovely name. Nice to be a bit different too. I teach and have never had a Jesse in my classes

Leopardprintboots Fri 06-Dec-19 19:38:57

OMG!! That’s really exciting !
I really love Jacob too by the way. I’ll have a think of some other J names that could have nickname Jesse x

Batmanandrobin123 Fri 06-Dec-19 19:19:42

DH is loving Jenson!!

TeaAndStrumpets Fri 06-Dec-19 19:19:14

Well Boots was founded by Jesse Boot - obviously a very Victorian name, they all come round again in time!

We have one in the family, toosmile

Batmanandrobin123 Fri 06-Dec-19 19:10:28

@mamabear88 that's good that you haven't heard of it. It seems a lot of people up north or Midlands that have which is concerning my DH. I've heard of it but never known anyone actually use it. I'd assume it would sound very dated as an insult now! Maybe it's a generational thing.

@Leopardprintboots I hadn't thought of a longer name and using Jesse as a nickname. I wonder if there are any other alternatives? I'm not sold on Jenson but thanks for the suggestion.
We are now considering Jacob. I can't get excited by it like I can Jesse but I think I prefer it to Oscar.

turkeyontheplate Fri 06-Dec-19 19:00:10

I've always loved Jesse. And Jessie for a girl. Just lovely.

Leopardprintboots Fri 06-Dec-19 18:56:16

Lots of Male Jesse’s around too though. It’s a top 100 boys name now so is completely mainstream. Seems even conservative MPs are changing their names from Alexander to be called Jesse!

I really love it

If you DH still says no -How about Jenson? You could still use nickname Jesse with that name I recon

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 06-Dec-19 18:25:53

Very girlie to me, lots and lots of female Jessie’s around from all generations.

Mamabear88 Fri 06-Dec-19 18:19:36

Personally never heard it used as an insult (also from Manchester) - to me it sounds quite American. I think maybe as I just think of the Breaking bad character. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider smile

Batmanandrobin123 Thu 05-Dec-19 15:14:14

Haha good point @Leopardprintboots, more amo!

Leopardprintboots Thu 05-Dec-19 08:52:11

That’s funny about the Tory MP real name Alexander (Boris’ real name is Alexander too)!!!

If Tory MPs are now deciding to call themselves Jesse even when it’s not their real name, then I think it’s safe to assume it’s now considered a sensible name! You should tell this to your husband too @Batmanandrobin123 xx

Ragwort Thu 05-Dec-19 08:30:55

That’s interesting, I wonder why he always uses Jesse? I will check carefully next week when I am voting grin to see what name he uses on the ballot paper.

Batmanandrobin123 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:21:45

I just looked him up @Ragwort. His first name is actually Alexander, so I'm safe wink

Ragwort Thu 05-Dec-19 08:12:55

I would t use it, just because it's the name of our Tory MP grin.

Batmanandrobin123 Wed 04-Dec-19 21:41:33

Not that keen on Austin, thanks for the suggestion though.
We've been discussing names all evening and getting nowhere. I'm getting frustrated now. He is coming round to Jesse but I can tell he's not keen. He was really set on Ozzie and I can see he's genuinely disappointed that I'm having doubts. We know 2 boys called oscar and 2 dogs. Not that it matters but I'm a life long name nerd and want to love the name.
We also both like Dylan, in fact that was probably DH's fave initially but I have two friends with Dylans and it takes the shine off it.
Thanks for all the comments everyone, still feeling the Jesse love.

Fifthtimelucky Wed 04-Dec-19 21:05:27

I know a Jesse in his 30s. It was very unusual when he was born and I wasn't a particular fan at the time but obviously I have become used to it.

I hadn't realised it was now becoming popular.

Leopardprintboots Wed 04-Dec-19 20:56:49

Ps. If you like nickname Ozzie but find Oscar too popular, how about Austin? I know an Austin nn Ozzie

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »