Talk

Advanced search

Double barrelled surnames

(8 Posts)
PepperRose Sat 30-Nov-19 08:11:27

Hey everyone, quick question and hopefully someone will be able to shed some light.

OH has a double barrelled surname and I have a single surname. Do people normally choose to carry over the whole double barrelled surname or just choose one of them?
OH father is not really around in his life so I am wondering whether to use his Mum’s half of the name instead.
Please let me know what you think is the norm! Thanks!

MissHenty Sat 30-Nov-19 08:38:05

If Oh father not really around I’d use your own surname.

The tradition of baby always having husbands surname is so outdated and sounds as if he owns the child. My children have a double barrelled surname (my surname and my husbands). We are married but I didn’t change my surname

IVflytrap Sat 30-Nov-19 10:13:26

Traditionally the baby would have your surname. Up until relatively recently, babies were almost always registered with the mother's surname here in the in the UK. People have only stated doing differently in significant numbers in the last couple of decades.

I'm not sure that there's a precedent for what people usually do if they don't go down this route, but yes, you could always decide to add one of your husband's names, either double barreling or perhaps as a middle name. And based on what you've written, the surname inherited from his mother would probably make the most sense.

MrsFoxPlus4Again Sat 30-Nov-19 10:19:14

My friends both have double barrell surnames

Mum - Emma Smith-Jones
Dad - Jack Miller-Brown

They went with Daniel Jones-Brown 🤷🏻‍♀️

VenusClapTrap Sat 30-Nov-19 14:19:41

If you’re not married, just use your own surname.

Starlight456 Sat 30-Nov-19 14:23:20

The one thing I do wonder about double barrelled if the children then go on to do the same they just end up deciding which name to drop . I would say deferring the decision

FizzyGreenWater Sun 01-Dec-19 10:12:05

You aren't married? The baby needs YOUR surname.

You could double barrel if you liked - HisMumHALF- YourSurname

bridgetreilly Sun 01-Dec-19 13:05:53

I don't think there is a normal, here, OP. Do what you both like and sounds right with your names.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »