Talk

Advanced search

Rachel?

(68 Posts)
jfoyo26 Tue 26-Nov-19 12:47:44

This is the only name my husband and I can totally agree on so is consistently top of our list for DD2.
Would be this spelling.
Just general thoughts please?

PlasticPatty Tue 26-Nov-19 20:41:48

She was Baby Rae for a while.

17caterpillars1mouse Tue 26-Nov-19 21:38:40

Lovely classical name, has a similar feel to Susannah, Ruth, Sarah and Naomi to me, all of which I like.

I actually know of 2 baby Rachel's

Standinguptononsense Tue 26-Nov-19 22:11:55

I love this.

Bluerussian Tue 26-Nov-19 22:13:27

Lovely, lovely name, timeless.
Your Rachel will never be embarrassed by her name when she goes to school.

shoebedobedobedobedoo Tue 26-Nov-19 22:15:10

It’s quite rare these days. We have a funny, kind, beautiful primary school aged Rachel- I have never met another similar aged Rachel. Last year only 50 babies were named Rachel! I think it’s lovely, but I might be biased. It was the only name DH and I could agree on also.

DramaAlpaca Tue 26-Nov-19 22:15:48

It's gorgeous, as is Louise.

PowerHooper Tue 26-Nov-19 22:23:48

It's a lovely name. I was born mid-70s, so at the height of the last big Rachel wave (also Louise, Claire, Kathryn, Victoria, Helen, Sarah!) but they're all classic evergreens that don't date badly ime.

Pottytoes Tue 26-Nov-19 23:50:50

A nice proper name. The youngest Rachel I know is 19 and she's a lovely intelligent girl.

Funnily enough a good friend of mine in her 30s has a sister called Louise but they are both very 70s/80s names in a good way

ruralcat Wed 27-Nov-19 00:01:44

It's a lovely name and works well with Louise.

123Dancewithme Wed 27-Nov-19 00:26:14

I like it. A friend of my has a 1 year old Rachel.

Sakura7 Wed 27-Nov-19 00:48:43

Definitely go for it, it's a lovely classic name. Suits both a small child and a grown up, and while it's not as popular as it used to be, it's not a name I would consider dated. It will come around again so your daughter will be ahead of the curve!

Rachel is so much nicer than all the cutesy names around at the moment, I bet she'll love her name.

FreshHorizons Thu 28-Nov-19 06:58:57

Lovely, classic name. Keep the spelling as Rachel or the poor child will have a lifetime of spelling it for people.

RoseMartha Thu 28-Nov-19 07:05:40

Lovely go for it 🤗

Astronica Thu 28-Nov-19 07:32:20

Lovely name (though Rachael is my favourite spelling) and lovely with sister Louise.

Whattodoabout Thu 28-Nov-19 16:43:59

Not a fan, very old fashioned but not in a cool way.

Bananablueberry Thu 28-Nov-19 17:17:34

There were five Rachel/Rachaels in my cousins year at primary school so they'll all be 17 now, I've never thought of it was rare at all but maybe I just knew a lot of them!

jfoyo26 Fri 29-Nov-19 15:51:51

@Bananablueberry it's funny I don't think of it as rare either, same with Louise, probably because there are a lot in their 30's and 40's. Rachel is in the 300's now for baby names and Louise is in the 400's!!! I guess I like names that have actually become pretty under used so will sound fresh in their peer group but are still pretty well known and classic - so don't sound like we're trying too hard to be different. Helen (decided too serious sounding) and Claire (know too many) were also up for consideration but they're much further up the chart closer to 800 I thinkshock! I also like Elaine not even in the top 1000. Thoughts for anybody who may be looking for short classic girl names, like Emily, without the popularity factor. Nicholas was the up there if a boy for similar reasons too.

LobsterQuadrille2 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:12:57

@jfoyo26 completely agree with your principle. I met a baby called David last week - haven't heard that for ages (other than men in their forties upwards) so it's unusual yet well known and no spelling issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »