Talk

Advanced search

Opinion

(61 Posts)
kayleighd Tue 26-Nov-19 00:48:04

Hi all,

We are soon to welcome our baby girl and are both pretty fixed on the name Aubree. However my in-laws hate it and say it's a mans name. I am aware that it was popular in the 1920s or earlier for a man being spelt Aubrey but I feel that it sounds feminine and with our spelling adds to that. Plus Shirley and Beverley were once men's names!

I am generally a people pleaser and now am casting doubt on my choice, what are your thoughts on the name pls?

OP’s posts: |
Iliada Mon 02-Dec-19 19:23:43

You know which other names until recently used to be considered man only’ names?

Not just Beverly or Shirley, but Hilary, Leslie, Sasha, Allison, Ashley, Bailey, Dana, Kelley, Harper, Kim, Lauren, Leigh, Lindsey, Meredith, Paris, Morgan, Sandy, Shelley and Taylor.

Do not even worry about it having been a boy’s name. Anne Rice the author’s real life first name is Howard. People are calling their daughters Michael and James all the time.

Call your daughter Aubrey and don’t bother trying to girl-ify the spelling. It’s a fine name and soon no one will question it, any more than they now say ‘A girl named Allison? But that’s such a masculine name!’

littlealexhorne Fri 29-Nov-19 23:00:40

I've personally only ever known female Aubrey's, I went to school with one, but I wouldn't spell it with the double e, really for the same reasons PPs have given.

doritosdip Fri 29-Nov-19 21:54:38

Definitely stick to the standard spelling. People will assume that you are uneducated or were drunk when you registered her.

Mattelio Fri 29-Nov-19 20:22:44

I dont mind Aubrey but I have to be honest I would never spell it with a double e.

I'm embarrassed that I know this but theres a woman on Teen Mom who has a daughter called Aubree spelt with a double e. She has said previously she wishes she spelt it Aubrey.

doritosdip Fri 29-Nov-19 18:49:10

Bree/Ree are cute nicknames but I think that there are more feminine names that could be used like Brianna or Rihanna

IVflytrap Fri 29-Nov-19 18:43:05

I think of it as a man's name because I know of a guy with the name. Much prefer Audrey for a girl - it's a lovely, ancient name, its meaning is "noble stength" and it makes me think of the glamorous Audrey Hepburn.

By the way, not sure if you care about name meanings, but Aubrey means "King of the elves", which, while a very cool meaning, is masculine.

If you do use it, I would spell it the normal way. Double E endings make a name look incomplete, and kind of un-rounded (I always imagine there should be a missing letter N at the end, for some reason...) Aubree will mean she'll have to spend her life telling people that she's Aubrey-with-two-E's, which can be frustrating. At least people know how to spell Aubrey.

Pinkblueberry Fri 29-Nov-19 18:30:10

Fair enough CBeebies I stand corrected and will eat my words grin

Cbeebiesrehab Fri 29-Nov-19 17:34:26

Certainly wouldn’t be the first @Pinkblueberry. It is statistically far more popular for girls now than it is boys. Ranking 279th for girls and 749th for boys in the most recent statistics provided.

Pinkblueberry Fri 29-Nov-19 17:22:44

I thought it was a man’s name. You can compare it to Shirley and Beverly if you want, and if you want to be the first to use Aubrey as a girls name go ahead, but you can’t blame others for rightfully viewing it as a man’s name.

MandeLular Fri 29-Nov-19 17:02:51

I don't mind it, but spell it properly.

VenusClapTrap Fri 29-Nov-19 16:56:46

Codename I don’t know. Busy life I guess. Always something more pressing to be doing and then the years have gone by.

FenellaMaxwell Fri 29-Nov-19 16:00:37

That spelling is hideous. Audrey and Aubrey are both fine.

CodenameVillanelle Fri 29-Nov-19 15:55:06

It's dreadful with the double E

Venus why didn't your friend just change the spelling? Very easy to do

LochJessMonster Fri 29-Nov-19 15:52:03

Aubrey is a girls name to me..

Practicalmagico Fri 29-Nov-19 15:50:42

Aubree is either horrendously chavvy or horrendously low rent American. Sorry, but someone had to say it!
I agree. Sorry!
Also had no idea it’s Drake’s real name 😮

EleanorShellstrop100 Fri 29-Nov-19 15:38:08

I think Aubrey is much more common these days as a girls name. It’s very feminine and much nicer for girls anyway. I prefer this spelling

123Dancewithme Wed 27-Nov-19 00:32:59

I know one who spells it Aubrie. I think that looks better than the double e spelling.

Otherwisebaldandunconvincing Tue 26-Nov-19 22:59:22

I know a girl Aubrey.
I don't love the name but I'd spell it correctly. Aubree is pretty horrific.

diddlediddle Tue 26-Nov-19 19:53:55

Calling her Aubrey would be better than Aubree. At least then you're just using a traditionally male name for a girl, rather than making a naff youneek spelling.

strawberry2017 Tue 26-Nov-19 19:20:09

I have a DD about to turn 2 called Aubrey, I love it, I don't regret it at all.

daisypond Tue 26-Nov-19 18:52:34

Just use Audrey or Aurelia or Aurora - not that I like those last two- but they are a lot better than Aubree.

BatleyTownswomensGuild Tue 26-Nov-19 18:28:37

Aubree is very marmite (personally it's a no from me.)

Audrey, on the other hand, is lovely.

VenusClapTrap Tue 26-Nov-19 18:25:27

She says she considered it years ago, but never quite got round to it.

EmpressLesbianInChair Tue 26-Nov-19 16:44:36

Her parents thought it was cute and different for a little girl too - but now as a professional woman every time she meets a new client she has to say “no, I’m afraid it’s double E” with a resigned air. She really hates the juvenile spelling of her name.

Exactly - cute is just wrong. Has she considered getting it changed legally?

LightDrizzle Tue 26-Nov-19 14:58:32

Boy’s name spelled incorrectly. Sorry.
Are you remembering that your daughter will hopefully and almost certainly spend most of her life being an adult over 30?
The younique spelling is likely to be a total pain as she will constantly be spelling it out and correcting people and forms. I have this and my name isn’t even a younique spelling, it’s a name with two legitimate ways of being written and it’s spawned a few “trendy” (30 years ago) versions, so I have to carefully spell it out EVERY time.
You have asked this question on an anonymous forum so you will get much more honest opinions than in real life.
If a friend told me they were going to call their baby Aubree I’d say it was lovely. Actually I’d bracket it with Brandi, Chelsey, Leesa and the like.
If you love it and go with it, people will get used to it and people won’t tell you to your face or tell her to hers that they think it’s crap. So there’s that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in