Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Opinion

(61 Posts)
kayleighd Tue 26-Nov-19 00:48:04

Hi all,

We are soon to welcome our baby girl and are both pretty fixed on the name Aubree. However my in-laws hate it and say it's a mans name. I am aware that it was popular in the 1920s or earlier for a man being spelt Aubrey but I feel that it sounds feminine and with our spelling adds to that. Plus Shirley and Beverley were once men's names!

I am generally a people pleaser and now am casting doubt on my choice, what are your thoughts on the name pls?

OP’s posts: |
20viona Tue 26-Nov-19 13:42:16

I love it for a girl with your spelling! Go with whatever you want. Classic mistake telling people though.

VenusClapTrap Tue 26-Nov-19 13:58:04

I know a woman in her fifties whose name is Angee. She is embarrassed about the spelling of her name. Her parents thought it was cute and different for a little girl too - but now as a professional woman every time she meets a new client she has to say “no, I’m afraid it’s double E” with a resigned air. She really hates the juvenile spelling of her name.

bridgetreilly Tue 26-Nov-19 13:59:27

Call her Audrey.

Or Brianna.

elderlee Tue 26-Nov-19 14:01:14

I think it sounds lovely! People will always always have an opinion, no one can love the same name, but if you love it that is the most important thing!

elderlee Tue 26-Nov-19 14:01:51

Not everyone can love the same name* I meant to say sorry

Leopardprintboots Tue 26-Nov-19 14:07:11

Yeh I can totally imagine that scenario @VenusClapTrap I’m all for naming babies what the parents want but to deliberately spell the name wrong just feels really cruel- I do think everyone will see the spelling and assume “chav” (I’m really sorry for using the C word but you’ve asked for opinions so I thought I’d be honest)

I would just assume the parents were thick and couldn’t spell - again I’m sorry

Gemma2019 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:10:24

It's awful OP and you will all be correcting the spelling for her entire life. Don't underestimate how annoying that will be.

Lobsterquadrille2 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:15:00

Apologies but I too would assume that the parents were not very bright and couldn't spell. Audrey is a nice name for a girl; Aubrey is definitely a boy's name though.

NoSauce Tue 26-Nov-19 14:15:06

Terrible. I’m not surprised your in-laws have that view. Obviously it’s your choice but it looks made up to me.

OhHellllooooo Tue 26-Nov-19 14:16:45

I don't like it as I just always think it's someone saying Audrey wrong. Sorry

BonBon411 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:41:04

@didslediddle

Aubree is NOT low rent American

The name is lovely

LightDrizzle Tue 26-Nov-19 14:58:32

Boy’s name spelled incorrectly. Sorry.
Are you remembering that your daughter will hopefully and almost certainly spend most of her life being an adult over 30?
The younique spelling is likely to be a total pain as she will constantly be spelling it out and correcting people and forms. I have this and my name isn’t even a younique spelling, it’s a name with two legitimate ways of being written and it’s spawned a few “trendy” (30 years ago) versions, so I have to carefully spell it out EVERY time.
You have asked this question on an anonymous forum so you will get much more honest opinions than in real life.
If a friend told me they were going to call their baby Aubree I’d say it was lovely. Actually I’d bracket it with Brandi, Chelsey, Leesa and the like.
If you love it and go with it, people will get used to it and people won’t tell you to your face or tell her to hers that they think it’s crap. So there’s that.

EmpressLesbianInChair Tue 26-Nov-19 16:44:36

Her parents thought it was cute and different for a little girl too - but now as a professional woman every time she meets a new client she has to say “no, I’m afraid it’s double E” with a resigned air. She really hates the juvenile spelling of her name.

Exactly - cute is just wrong. Has she considered getting it changed legally?

VenusClapTrap Tue 26-Nov-19 18:25:27

She says she considered it years ago, but never quite got round to it.

BatleyTownswomensGuild Tue 26-Nov-19 18:28:37

Aubree is very marmite (personally it's a no from me.)

Audrey, on the other hand, is lovely.

daisypond Tue 26-Nov-19 18:52:34

Just use Audrey or Aurelia or Aurora - not that I like those last two- but they are a lot better than Aubree.

strawberry2017 Tue 26-Nov-19 19:20:09

I have a DD about to turn 2 called Aubrey, I love it, I don't regret it at all.

diddlediddle Tue 26-Nov-19 19:53:55

Calling her Aubrey would be better than Aubree. At least then you're just using a traditionally male name for a girl, rather than making a naff youneek spelling.

Otherwisebaldandunconvincing Tue 26-Nov-19 22:59:22

I know a girl Aubrey.
I don't love the name but I'd spell it correctly. Aubree is pretty horrific.

123Dancewithme Wed 27-Nov-19 00:32:59

I know one who spells it Aubrie. I think that looks better than the double e spelling.

EleanorShellstrop100 Fri 29-Nov-19 15:38:08

I think Aubrey is much more common these days as a girls name. It’s very feminine and much nicer for girls anyway. I prefer this spelling

Practicalmagico Fri 29-Nov-19 15:50:42

Aubree is either horrendously chavvy or horrendously low rent American. Sorry, but someone had to say it!
I agree. Sorry!
Also had no idea it’s Drake’s real name 😮

LochJessMonster Fri 29-Nov-19 15:52:03

Aubrey is a girls name to me..

CodenameVillanelle Fri 29-Nov-19 15:55:06

It's dreadful with the double E

Venus why didn't your friend just change the spelling? Very easy to do

FenellaMaxwell Fri 29-Nov-19 16:00:37

That spelling is hideous. Audrey and Aubrey are both fine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in